To All The Parents Out There

Options

Replies

• dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    thankyou so much for recognizing how much us single parents have to work to get in time for ourselves...

but, i am a better mother for changing things up to have time for myself...

it was hard at first and i felt selfish taking even the 30 minutes it took for me to workout at Curves, but once i realised that i actually spend more quality time with my children by taking a little for myself i found that taking care of myself was so important in the kind of care that i could give to my children...
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me smile :bigsmile:
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • amcmullan
    amcmullan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the recognition! :smile: It definitely isnt always easy, but its so worth it :flowerforyou:
  • proverbs2410
    proverbs2410 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! Same here!:smile:
    Thank you.

I don't know what the other bashing thread is about (haven't read it) but the best benefits to me taking charge of my own health are being proud of my little 3 year old foodie, who chooses any kind of fish/shrimp over toddler food, tries everything I put in front of him even if he says he doesn't like it, and asks to play outside every night!

I'm not only making myself healthy, but I'm building on his future health, too.
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you and well said. It was a crazy thread to say the least.

Nothing better than seeing our 9 year old daughter introduced to hitting the heavy bag (watch out boys) or playing tennis with my middle daughter as she works up the competition levels on her HS tennis team, encouraging her to lift a little to improve the power of her serves and endurance or showing my youngest son how he can improve his hitting with some push ups and light lifts or base running with hill sprints. As parents, our task isn't to exclude them from the things we do for ourselves but to help them connect the dots between good habits and rewards. It's worth the time and offers lessons learned that will last a lifetime.

This! Very well said my friend.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I so agree with this post. I may not be a single parent, but I watch my best friend do it and I admire the heck out of her for it. Single parents need to get more kudos than they do, because they do not have it easy, and yet they still make it work.

I applaud all my single parent friends - and I love each and every one of you guys and :drinker: for bein as awesome as you all are!!!!
  • proverbs2410
    proverbs2410 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are a very wise man and I enjoyed reading your post. God Bless.:smile:
    :flowerforyou: Thank you and well said. It was a crazy thread to say the least.

Nothing better than seeing our 9 year old daughter introduced to hitting the heavy bag (watch out boys) or playing tennis with my middle daughter as she works up the competition levels on her HS tennis team, encouraging her to lift a little to improve the power of her serves and endurance or showing my youngest son how he can improve his hitting with some push ups and light lifts or base running with hill sprints. As parents, our task isn't to exclude them from the things we do for ourselves but to help them connect the dots between good habits and rewards. It's worth the time and offers lessons learned that will last a lifetime.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    god I love you OP for starting this thread....

:flowerforyou:
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful thing to post!!
    This full-time working mom of two (or 3 if you count my husband :laugh: ) thanks you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a nice thread to read and I thank you for your kind words. Being a single, F/T working mom is tough and adding getting fit and eating healthy definitely has its challenges (not to mention my kitchen is currently gutted so I had to cook things ahead of time and freeze so that we can sustain for a couple weeks and not eat out), but if it means teaching my child what it looks like to live a healthy life, it's totally worth it.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a nice thread to read and I thank you for your kind words. Being a single, F/T working mom is tough and adding getting fit and eating healthy definitely has its challenges (not to mention my kitchen is currently gutted so I had to cook things ahead of time and freeze so that we can sustain for a couple weeks and not eat out), but if it means teaching my child what it looks like to live a healthy life, it's totally worth it.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when either my wife or I are working out, our 3 year old daughter will join us by running/jumping in place and saying 'Exercise' while laughing. That makes it all worth it - that and knowing that I've added some years to my life to spend watching her grow up, that is.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!

My kids do silly moves on the floor and tell me they are getting their exercise - or have to do their work outs. It makes my day :)
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    What a great post....thanks!! I'm a proud Momma of 2 :heart: :heart: My almost 6 year old likes to workout with me. I'm a stay at home mom, I work part time, and I go to college part time. Some days are easier then others, but I'm glad that my kids are watching me workout and I keep telling them how important it is to get exercise....I never was told that growing up.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you! Single Mom of Two and this made my day.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    AWWW thanks!:blushing:
  • Modmomma79
    Options
    Thank you! :-)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It can be hard to balance everything, but it's so worth it. And I'm glad to know that I am helping ensure that I will be around for my little girl for a very long time.