green tea!

Options

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I love green tea. I don't really drink it because I need to lose weight, but because I just love it. I do notice that it makes me lose weight a bit faster and the most noticeable difference is that my skin looks a lot clearer and more glowing.
    My green tea bags even have their own pocket in my school and work bag :). I usually drink it with breakfast, lunch and my mid afternoon snack.

For those that don't like green tea: it probably tastes a bit bitter, because you are making it wrong. A lot of people don't know this, but green tea is supposed to me made at 80 degrees C, instead of 100 degrees C (boiled water). At 100 degrees, the tea leaves burn a bit, making the tea tastes bleghh. Just let your cup of boiled water cool off for about 5 min or just fill up your cup with 1/4 cold water and then add 3/4 boiled water, same difference. Tastes a lot better.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The general consensus of the recipes seems to be that the best results are achieved with leaves.
    The best green tea I ever drank was made by a Chinese student I trained with and he used a few leaves dropped into thermos flask and poured freshly drawn boiling water - somehow the bubbles do a certain "something" - although this wouldn't fit the bill of the person who advocated throwing the first cup away <gasp>

I don't think it is the caffeine that helps the weight loss, it is supposed to be the antioxidants, I thought.
    The absence of milk and sugar helps a bit, of course.

- and, by the way, to the person who feared thread-killing propensities, I read it as a touch of whimsy and responded in kind. OH?
  • cmphelan77
    Options
    Bigelow Organic Green Tea I have found to be the best. Its not expensive, its clean, and I think it taste is mild and no bitterness that I have experienced with other brands.
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: wow awesome info everyone! thanks alot for sharing the experiance with us :heart: much love!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    As an American outside of London. can't we just embrace the continental divide, rather than using it as a thread killer?? :)

I considered it more of a "thread enhancer" than "thread killer"...(I mean, c'mon, it's a thread about green tea). But I will admit, my sense of humour...(dagnabbit, humor )...is remarkably dry and easily misunderstood. And I sometimes don't even know when I'm being serious and when I'm being sarcastic.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go make a few posts online about how America is the best dang country in the whole world and then go shoot my guns willy-nilly (or higglety-pigglety for our Canadian friends).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups a day of green tea and one cup of pure white tea after every meal. It blocks fat cells from forming.

Could you cite any (credible - ie not Dr Oz) sources for this?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I drink 2 cups a day of green tea and one cup of pure white tea after every meal. It blocks fat cells from forming.

Could you cite any (credible - ie not Dr Oz) sources for this?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the answer to this questions is, "no." It's just a guess, but I'm still reasonably confident.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    As an American outside of London. can't we just embrace the continental divide, rather than using it as a thread killer?? :)

I considered it more of a "thread enhancer" than "thread killer"...(I mean, c'mon, it's a thread about green tea). But I will admit, my sense of humour...(dagnabbit, humor )...is remarkably dry and easily misunderstood. And I sometimes don't even know when I'm being serious and when I'm being sarcastic.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go make a few posts online about how America is the best dang country in the whole world and then go shoot my guns willy-nilly (or higglety-pigglety for our Canadian friends).

This constitutes a considerable source of relief - not necessarily the bit about Canadians, mind you <waves paws>
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    However, Sid Meir did much for rehabilitating the idea of "Civilization" - a certain favourite among computer-gamers of a certain flavour of gaming-genre.

Yes we should be spending more time talking about Sid Meier's civilization. For me personally it can be a very effective weight loss tool. Much in the same way I'm guessing green tea is a magical weight loss tool to many others. To each their own I suppose.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    However, Sid Meir did much for rehabilitating the idea of "Civilization" - a certain favourite among computer-gamers of a certain flavour of gaming-genre.

Yes we should be spending more time talking about Sid Meier's civilization. For me personally it can be a very effective weight loss tool. Much in the same way I'm guessing green tea is a magical weight loss tool to many others. To each their own I suppose.

Hangry?
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Like green tea. Loved the whimsical exchange between a fellow American and a proper Brit. Thanks to both of you. :happy:
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Hangry?

No. I guess how sarcasm doesn't come across well, being genuine doesn't either. I meant it was a good game. And sometimes I forget to eat while I spend hours playing it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Hangry?

No. I guess how sarcasm doesn't come across well, being genuine doesn't either. I meant it was a good game. And sometimes I forget to eat while I spend hours playing it.

Is true...about the sarcasm/sincerity thing *and* Civilation being a good game.

And how some people almost always assume a post is serious and miss the sarcasm? I'm just the opposite...I assume everything is sarcastic.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    1. There seems to be a consensus for Green Tea being a good thing, if not necessarily a Magic Bullet nor necessarily for what it contains as much as for what it doesn't have that other beverages include that bump up their calories.
    Whatever, if it works then don't knock it - but do use a whitening toothpaste 'cos it stains.

2. "*and* Civilation" - this is, of course, diplomacy of international proportions.

3. regarding gaming, I apologise to those who object to diverting the mood from the seriousness of the advocacy of Green Tea but Sid Meir's "Civilization" is the best known example over here of spelling the word without an S.

However, exercise is part of the brief of this forum and lateral thinking do broaden the mind most wondrously and, anyway,
    "What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.
    No time to stand beneath the boughs.
    And stare as long as sheep or cows. No time to see"?

4. One is led to not expect irony from an American. Perchance this is a stereotypical over-generaliSation.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    i really don't understand oz's hun :D how many cups a day?

It seems that " oz " is used in US to indicate fluid measure, i.e. " fl. oz. " and that a US pint contains 16 [whereas ours have 20 fl. oz. but we haven't used them for years, preferring pints and/or litres] and an American Cup cooking measure is 8 fl. oz. so when an American says they drink "16 oz." it means they have 2 cups - er - I think.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, Green Tea has magical properties. You can eat anything you want, whenever you want; as long as you're drinking Green Tea you will lose weight.

I think you are confusing it with bacon.

I went through the green tea thing a while back, I was chugging it back religiously, then I read how much you'd need to drink to have a meaningful effect (lots). I even had some green tea supplements at one point. Lord knows if it helped.

Sorry, not much help, I just needed to get a bacon reference in ;)
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, Green Tea has magical properties. You can eat anything you want, whenever you want; as long as you're drinking Green Tea you will lose weight.

I think you are confusing it with bacon.

I went through the green tea thing a while back, I was chugging it back religiously, then I read how much you'd need to drink to have a meaningful effect (lots). I even had some green tea supplements at one point. Lord knows if it helped.

Sorry, not much help, I just needed to get a bacon reference in ;)

LOL, bacon does have many benefits, especially to southerners. However, I am looking for a hot drink that could step up for me. I am a great coffee lover but I won't drink it without cream so I have decided to give it up for the rest of the year. The ice water which I love to drink will be less charming as the weather is changing so I am looking for another way to keep getting fluids. I'm looking forward to trying the green tea.

(Bacon will be a reward to myself on Christmas morning... I'm looking forward to it.)
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    Iv read about some one dieting and when they started drinking green tea along with their original diet they lost nearly twice as much weight a month. Iv just posted a similar post about green tea and acai berry to see if any one was losing weight having that
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I drink on average 48 oz of green tea everyday. According to a study recently completed green might help boost you metabolism very short term but will have no long term effects. Damn.... Oh well I like it and will keep drinking it.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    http://www.squidoo.com/what-are-the-health-benefits-of-drinking-green-tea

one of the benefits says: It is used in raising metabolism and increasing fat oxidation