Not losing any weight despite what MFP says?

Options
124»

Replies

• vbarrient
    vbarrient Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at the same weight for months now no matter what I do. I try to eat around 1,200-1,400 calories a day and my macros are set to 35C/35P/30F. Plus I try workout a couple times a week along with 3 days of dance team practice that is usually around 2.5 hours long. I do let myself have treats every once in a while but if it fits in my macros. MFP says at the end of the day that I should be losing on average 1.5-2 lbs a week but my weight will not budge. Any help?

Small frame on weight chart is 126 lbs. Being 18 you need the extra nutrients for your body and you not getting them. If you doing 3 days of dance practice you should have muscle! You don't want to seem to listen to the advice on here. You even had a doctor give you advice. You said in your profile "I want to be comfortable in my skin" and you definitely are not. You are right, as you get older you will have more health problems. I think you need to see someone for an eating disorder instead honey. As you get older weight issues and life get even harder. Good luck and take care. P.S. Get a new PCP too!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat normally my body maintained 110 lbs. I have a pretty small bone structure, I can overlap my pinky and my thumb around my wrist. But when I got into some bad eating habits I really screwed up my metabolism and then began to eat garbage and it made me gain, so I would just like to get back to my normal weight. My doctors always said that I was healthy at 110 so I don't need any lectures please. Just some advice on why I'm stuck.

I think all you need to do is start a beginning women's weight lifting routine sweetie. That will help tone and sculpt your body.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Have you read ANYTHING in this thread? Or are you just hawking your wares. Lord.
    [/quote]

I didn't see her height until later and I saw that she at 1200-1400 calories. I've already edited my comments and taken all that stuff out.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Just because my weight may be "healthy" doesn't mean that I should be happy with it. I do not look fit, I have the "skinny fat" look so I would like to lose that bit of fat. Yes I do lift weights, not only cardio. But even with eating high protein (around 100 g), my body has a very hard time putting on muscle.

Thank you to those who have been truly helpful instead of criticizing me :smile:
    You are an athlete - thus you must nourish your body based on the energy demands you are placing on it. The reason why your metabolism is depressed is due to your chronic calorie restriction. You are "skinny fat" because over time you have been providing too little calories relative to your discipline as an active dancer. In short, you have reduced your lean body mass (muscle) which thus slows down your Resting Metabolic Rate.

To gain muscle volume, you have to provide more calories than what is needed to maintain your body weight. As of now, you are assuming a massive deficit far below what is needed to maintain present body weight. This is why you cannot increase your lean body mass.

Start upping calories by 100 every few days. You will gain weight, most of which will be from water with the remainder being fat and lean body mass. Eventually, you will provide enough calories and your body will stabilize during maintenance with no significant weight fluctuations. If you wish to gain lean body mass, you must then consume more calories. A woman can realistically gain 1 lb of actual muscle per month. Along with this 1 lb of muscle comes 1 lb of fat - this is an acceptable partitioning during weight gain on a calorie surplus. Thus, you need to provide enough calories to gain 2 lbs per month (1 lb of muscle vs 1 lb of fat). To do so, you'll need to eat an additional 250 calories per day above maintenance calories.

Check out this link by Lyle McDonald on the strategy of establishing a calorie surplus.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Definitely up your net calories. You might want to take it slow; add fifty or a hundred calories per week onto your net until you're within a safe range (above your BMR, at least, but I'd go even higher if I were you).

One thing to remember, though: don't get too caught up in the number on the scale. I also used to have a number like that: 107. I was healthy at 107, I was thin at 107, I had to be 107. If I was below that, great; if I was above that, the world was practically ending.
    Well, now I weigh more than 107. But I'm a lot stronger than I used to be, and I can run faster and farther than I've ever been able to before. I have a lot more energy now, and I straight-up feel better about myself. Oh, and I still fit into my old clothes, so that's a bonus (I can't afford to buy new ones!). I don't need to see that number anymore. In fact, I rarely weigh myself at all.

(P.S. I net between 1400 and 2000 calories a day, exercise eight to ten hours a week, and eat all of my exercise calories back.)

Bottom line? 110 is only a number. You can still be healthy and fit and all-around awesome even if that number changes. It might be a good idea to hide your scale for a while and just focus on how you look and feel.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Eat more and lift more. :smile: And I hear you on the knee caps issue...
  • FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Jessica if you are 5'8 and 115lbs or even wanting to be 110lbs. I really don't think that is accurate for your height unless you are trying to be a model. I am 5'6 and my weight should be 135lbs. I would check into it you don't want to damage your body by going to low on your weight.
  • FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Grubb you really need to focus on strengthening the skinny fat that you are having issues with. And it does sound as though your body is trying to tell you it's not healthy because of what you shared on here. No harm intended just concern for your health!!!
    I would suggest as well to find another doctor.
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I know that not all body types are the same, but my whole family has very small wrists, but broad shoulders, big rib cages, and wide hips. My sister is 5'8-5'9, she is 19 and weights between 140-145...she is VERY skinny. We have always played lots of sports and been active. She does have a lot of muscle. Maybe try to eat a little more and do less cardio and more weight training. You may not like what the scale says...it will probably go up a little, especially in the beginning, but maybe you will be happier with the way you look. You won't be "skinny fat" anymore. If you don't like the way that is going after a couple of months, try something different.