Flourless Butterless CHOCOLATE CAKE

Options

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    After reading about so many delicious recipes on here - I thought I would share my go-to chocolate cake recipe :)

Ingredients:

1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup of chocolate chips (I personally use the reeeeally dark chocolate because I like the way it tastes and you can use way less than say milk chocolate and have a much more chocolaty flavor
    3 egg whites - 1 yolk
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with Pam or some alternative.
    -Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50 percent.
    -Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the baking powder, and pulse to blend.
    -Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed. -Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.
    -Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.

*I like to top mine with sliced strawberries or raspberries and dust with a little bit of organic confectioners sugar

OH - and don't TELL anyone that it's made with garbanzo beans and I am willing to bet you MONEY not a single person will question it. I've put this cake in front of some of the toughest critics and I have yet to have one last longer than a few hours... Enjoy!

Thank you for sharing! Looks wonderful!
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    yummy bump
  • MaryMcnz
    MaryMcnz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just made this - delicious!

I'll need to make a double batch next time - half of the mixture went in my mouth before it got to the baking tin ;)
  • MaryMcnz
    MaryMcnz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    'And I must agree - NO one would be able to guess what it's made of!
  • embjojo
    embjojo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sounds very interesting. I would also like some clarification regarding the size of can of beans to use.
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    Sounds very interesting. I would also like some clarification regarding the size of can of beans to use.

I used a 15 oz. can.
  • kristapennie
    kristapennie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    yes!! saving for later
  • theladysarah
    theladysarah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    must check into this for the days I am going nuts for chocolate.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    After reading about so many delicious recipes on here - I thought I would share my go-to chocolate cake recipe :)

Ingredients:

1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup of chocolate chips (I personally use the reeeeally dark chocolate because I like the way it tastes and you can use way less than say milk chocolate and have a much more chocolaty flavor
    3 egg whites - 1 yolk
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with Pam or some alternative.
    -Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50 percent.
    -Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the baking powder, and pulse to blend.
    -Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed. -Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.
    -Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.

*I like to top mine with sliced strawberries or raspberries and dust with a little bit of organic confectioners sugar

OH - and don't TELL anyone that it's made with garbanzo beans and I am willing to bet you MONEY not a single person will question it. I've put this cake in front of some of the toughest critics and I have yet to have one last longer than a few hours... Enjoy!

I made this yesterday. I like it!

(I added 1 Tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/2 tsp of instant espresso coffee granules along with the baking powder, and I sprinkled a wee bit of powdered sugar on top once it cooled.)

Thank you for sharing the recipe. :flowerforyou:
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just made this both ways... with garbanzo beans and with black beans. The black beans were much easier to puree and the mix poured a lot more smoothly. I'm about to have an official taste test next with my family. Will report more later and will post pics.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Bizarre. It's full of protein and it's wicked. I love chocolate. I can't wait to find out how it turned out with those black beans.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued, going to give this recipe a try.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just made this both ways... with garbanzo beans and with black beans. The black beans were much easier to puree and the mix poured a lot more smoothly. I'm about to have an official taste test next with my family. Will report more later and will post pics.

Okay, my official review... Agree no-one will guess what they're made of. My dad who doesn't like weird foods thought they were good. The black bean was easier to make & smoother. It also looks darker. But... The garbanzo bean version comes out fluffier,r moister & I liked the flavor of it just a bit better. Though, my dad thought the black bean was richer... I think that was perception because of the color. I put the recipe into MFP & cutting into 8 slices (as shown below) came to only 171 calories, 7g fat, 3.6g fiber. Healthy & tasty. The black slices weigh 1.6 but the garbanzo slices weigh 2.2. So, they really become fuller somehow though the same quantity of everything is used. Weird, eh? It is a shade dry, so I might try adding honey or applesauce next time. Though black bean was easier to blend, I'll probably stick with garbanzos. Oh yeah, I followed the 2nd person's recipe with 2 whole eggs instead of the hassle of dividing all those whites. Now, the promised picture:
    IMAG0749.jpg
  • miss_grad
    miss_grad Posts: 102
    Options
    At first I thought the topic title said "Flavorless" instead of "Flourless". Oops.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    thanks!!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    bump