Don't know what to do about constipation

Options

Replies

• TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    They say that laughter is the best medicine. So based on that, my answer is "poop." Thank you very much. I'll be here all week. Two shows nightly, three on Saturday. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
  • barribeelee
    barribeelee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Miralax is great disguised in Welch's Grape Juice! Try it. Just make sure you mix thoroughly. Also, an old reliable tip from a nurse--milk of magnesia. It works relatively quickly though so beware.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Eat a larger variety of fruits and veggies, maybe? It's hard to tell if we can't see your diet/food journal in general. If you eat/drink a lot of dairy, that could contribute to constipation.

Bad "tummy troubles" were what made me figure out I was lactose intolerant. It was worth cutting out dairy for me. I've been fine since (except the day I decided I wanted frozen yogurt...which is actually a good thing. You're supposed to cut out the offending food, get better, then try a bit of offending food and see if you have problems, thus showing you that not having that food is good and having it is bad)
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-C. I have tried Miralax, I eat lots of fiber, drink lots of water, etc. Still, the ONLY think that has helped me is Magnesium supplements. Start with 250mg a day and see if that helps. If not, try 500mg. I take as much as 1000mg at times, but usually 500mg per day. Nothing else has ever helped me like the Magnesium. My gastroenterologist recommended it. You can try Milk of Magnesia but it is nasty and Magnesium pills have worked for me and are more tolerable.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Senna tea like smooth move tea! Love it drink it before bed I am now for the first time in my adult life regular!
    It's a stimulant laxative. I'd avoid that unless ALL other options have been tried.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Eat fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-C. I have tried Miralax, I eat lots of fiber, drink lots of water, etc. Still, the ONLY think that has helped me is Magnesium supplements. Start with 250mg a day and see if that helps. If not, try 500mg. I take as much as 1000mg at times, but usually 500mg per day. Nothing else has ever helped me like the Magnesium. My gastroenterologist recommended it. You can try Milk of Magnesia but it is nasty and Magnesium pills have worked for me and are more tolerable.
    Ditto. Magnesium supplements were the only thing that helped me. I've been tested for various things, tried "fiber" and and and. Magnesium citrate helps me be regular.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I dont know what to do, im always constipated, i drink loads of water though and eat loads carrots but i dont know whatdo do, any advice??

You could try drinking a glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in it (the organic kind that they sell at the health food store with the "mother of vinegar" still in it). Some people use it for losing weight but others use it for its acidification of the gut. Not only does it fight high blood sugar but it should "clean you right out". :wink:

Another thing you can try is to eat an ounce of macadamia nuts (ten to twelve) several times a day (yes, they are high in fat but they are fine for a lower-carb diet). Just three ounces of macadamia nuts a day will speed up your metabolism. You might also want to check in with your doc. He can order tests to try to get to the bottom (no joking intended) of your problem.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    They say that laughter is the best medicine. So based on that, my answer is "poop." Thank you very much. I'll be here all week. Two shows nightly, three on Saturday. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Seriously though, carrots have approximately 1 gram of fiber per ounce. All bran has approximately 10 grams of fiber per ounce. That doesn't sound like a big difference, but if you eat half a pound of each, the fiber is 8 grams for the carrots and 80 grams for the All-bran. And that IS a big difference. Good luck.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    coffee will get you going. I myself do not digest milk very well and combined with coffee, it's rocket fuel literally.
    I allow myself maybe once a week a soy mocha. That is semi-rocket fuel still, the combination. I don't drink it
    if I will be in a really long meeting that day.
  • Zelikag1960
    Options
    A lot of diet shakes can make you feel that way..every now and then take a laxative to make you feel better
  • Positive_Thinker
    Positive_Thinker Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I dont know what to do, im always constipated, i drink loads of water though and eat loads carrots but i dont know whatdo do, any advice??

I use Metamucil....powder or tablets (the store brands) DAILY, not just when constipated....And I'm never constipated anymore.

Another method involves actually doing something: My yoga/karate teacher instructed us to have a cup of very warm liquid upon rising each morning, then to exercise our abdominal area and to manually massage our abdomen...It was amazing. . Worked like a charm.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My son had about the WORST constipation anyone would ever know, weeks! Docs tried everything from mineral oil plus Myralax, we tried warm baths, lots of water, more fiber less fiber, etc etc. my Naturalpathic Doc finally suggested digestive enzymes, that did the trick!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are eating enough fat. You NEED fat not only for elimination but to metabolize certain nutrients.

Try to avoid laxatives, they'll just end up building a dependency. My mother used metamucil.

Tomatoes and watermelon tend to get things going for me. You may discover something like that to work for you.

Also, constipation may be a symptom of hypothyroid or a side effect of blood pressure or incontinence medication (if you are on either of those). Checking in with your primary care physician isn't a bad idea.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    All else fails use glycerin suppositories we used then with my elderly Mother Doctor approved......
  • jenvic
    jenvic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tablespoon of organic raw coconut oil. Along with daily apple cider vinegar. =)
  • g4genn
    g4genn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    eat more fruit.
    cut out cheese
  • kumarnathan
    kumarnathan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is what I do.
    I drink 6 cups of water early in the morning; 6 cups before lunch; 6 cups before dinner.
    I soak fenugreek seeds ( 2 tablespoon) in previous night and eat it every day in the morning along with water.
    I soak fenugreek seed ( 2 tablespoon) early in the morning to be eaten in the night before going to bed.

If you follow this, you will become regular. -- Naturally. No chemicals.

If you are women, Fenugreek helps you to enhance your breast too.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You got to move it, move it...you got to move it, move it! Pun intended. Along with all the other advice (water, bran, fruit, etc) you need to be moving to ....well...move! Can't tell you how many times I've had to cut an evening run short to get back to the bathroom!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Whole grains, beans and legumes, fruit like apples and leafy greens (not just carrots) and water. Think all kinds of fiber. Both soluble and non soluble. You will see a difference. Dairy sometimes clogs folks up.