Don't know what to do about constipation

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Rice and quinoa works for me. I tried taking rice and potatoes out of my diet before and it was really bad. My body just needs these things or it stops functioning properly. Everyone is soooo different so it is all about what you find works for you. Experimenting is key. Dairy does it for me too but it is only because my stomach can't handle the dairy though so that is only in desperate times. It was worst for me when I gave up rice. I will never do that again.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    go eat anything at Taco Bell. You're welcome

LOL!! Oh yes, that is SO true, but not worth it. Hilarious.
  • Amarie0912
    Options
    What I do is eat foods high in fiber so broccoli and raw green vegetables, apples, oranges, blueberries, sprinkle lemon in your water, Senna either in tea or pill form, flax seeds, and if that's still not enough take Magnesium and calcium supplements. I tried Fiber supplements but they didn't do anything for me...but I do know they work for others. Hope you find something that works for you!
  • AndreaGrace29
    AndreaGrace29 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The Taco Bell Comment:

Good reminder! :laugh:
  • DevoteeofIset
    DevoteeofIset Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That is a tricky one. I used to be constipated like for my entire life. And I tried uping my fiber to 30 g and drinking water, tried adding fruits and veges didn't really work. I tried those colon cleanse pills (different types) And when I tried the one cleanse it was just diarrhea.

I started taking food grade diatomaceous earth for a month and that helped. I stopped taking it out of laziness but now I am going regularly and naturally. I just eat regular makign sure most food is raw, natural unprocessed food, with fruits and vegetables and lots of water.

I saw on this TV something about mixing Ghee and tumeric, you might want to research your symptoms/cause what does and doesn't work for you and go from there. I wish you luck!!! This can be a frustrating situation. Everyone has some great suggestions, hope it helps :D
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    You need more fibre and water. I always have bran flakes or something high fibre for breakfast. Try a supplement too. I love Tony Ferguson's Fibre Supplement. Really works! Eat more foods high in fibre. Just check the labels :)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    EASY, Magnesium!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    water
    apples/apple juice
    butt secks
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    eat some raisins or sunsweet prunes or the dried plum bites. if that doesn't work try a stool softner ( not a laxative) just a softner
    Dried fruits usually work. It may take a few days.

Just be sure with dried fruits to add extra water. Works like a charm.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had a SEVERE problem with this for a long time... I thought I was just prone to it. I always ate a bunch of fiber and drank water. Even medications didn't work very well.

About a month ago, I upped my calorie intake, started drinking even more water, and working out more often.... and BOOM. I am suddenly more regular than I have ever been in my life.

GO FIGURE :)
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can do a Metamucil type fiber or pills once a day . = Both slow working so no added issues.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Senna tea like smooth move tea! Love it drink it before bed I am now for the first time in my adult life regular!

Found this online:

"Information found online about Smooth Move Tea main ingredient, Senna, states that Senna should not be used for more than 10 days. Unless the dieter is planning on reselling the product, having a ½ case of laxatives on-hand could lead to laxative addiction and difficulty passing waste without the use of a laxative. Smooth Move Tea also includes ingredients that are known to cause serious health problems, especially for people using prescription or over the counter diuretics."

http://www.dietspotlight.com/smooth-move-tea-review/
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Laxatives can cause unwanted emergencies. If you can't fix the issue with a high fiber diet and plenty of water then you may want to consider a 'stool softener'. You can buy all-natural ones at Wholefoods. May take a day or two to work, but much gentler to your system than a laxative.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens, lots of water and daily intake of healthy fat. A high fiber diet needs fat in it to help with this issue!
  • KBE1990
    KBE1990 Posts: 38
    Options
    Eat more fiber, Fiber one is good, and you can get those drink mixes to give you more fiber.
  • jessqui
    Options
    drink atleast 100oz of water and make sure you get your 25 grams of fiber or more.
  • dawnerika
    dawnerika Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    People are offering some really good options here...I have problems with it too. I have to avoid too much cheese, for one...and ingest more fruits and veggies...made the mistake of eating a little too many cherries one night and constipation wasn't an issue any longer LOL
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Husk and red raspberry tea are my usual remedies. You may be having a hard time processing the fiber you're eating, so maybe add some kind of digestive enzyme and see if it helps? Senna tea is too harsh for me, but it may help if you're desperate.

Agree with this post, I take psyllium hust everyday ---- but don't pay the posh shop prices. Go to your local Asian shop and see if they stock it. I get 200grm boxes for £2.99. In Holland & Barrett it is about £7-£8 for a box half the size!!!

In the asian shops it may be better known as Sat-isabgol
    not pleasant to take though!!:noway:
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ground flax seeds. Works everytime and it is good for you. I put it in my yogourt.
  • karbhat
    karbhat Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt for breakfast!! It helps clear your skin too!