Don't know what to do about constipation

Options

Replies

• Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Check out this website...
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/digestive-health-pictures/10-foods-that-help-relieve-constipation.aspx#/slide-1

Suggests the best fruit to eat to help--- hope it helps you out some and good luck :)
  • xantioppe1
    Options
    A serving a day of yogurt always does the trick for me.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I get this way to due to way too many antibiotics as a child. It is painful and frustrating, but I'm pretty sure I have it managed now. I take a probiotic supplement everyday, drink at least 2 liters of water a day, more if I am exercising. I also increased my fiber intake substantially to 30 or more grams a day. I have to supplement with psyllium husks some days to reach the 30 grams.

Even at that I have days where everything stops. I keep some cascara sagrada on hand get everything moving again.

Steps for relief:
    1. Eat more fiber and drink more water.
    2. Add in probiotics.
    3. Add in sorbitol (chewing gum is a good place to find sorbitol, also prunes)
    4. Stimulant laxatives like cascara sagrada.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Whole grains, beans and legumes, fruit like apples and leafy greens (not just carrots) and water. Think all kinds of fiber. Both soluble and non soluble. You will see a difference. Dairy sometimes clogs folks up.
    Everything you just listed would clog me up. :-) Particularly the whole grains.
  • Prisca71
    Options
    Try juice. Some kind of fruit juice should help move things along. When my son was young and having issues with constipation, our doctor reccomended that we give him apple juice everyday. It worked wonders.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I dont know what to do, im always constipated, i drink loads of water though and eat loads carrots but i dont know whatdo do, any advice??

I use Metamucil....powder or tablets (the store brands) DAILY, not just when constipated....And I'm never constipated anymore.

Another method involves actually doing something: My yoga/karate teacher instructed us to have a cup of very warm liquid upon rising each morning, then to exercise our abdominal area and to manually massage our abdomen...It was amazing. . Worked like a charm.

You have to be careful with the massage. If done incorrectly, it could make the obstruction worse. Diverticulitis is no fun.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This is what I do.
    I drink 6 cups of water early in the morning; 6 cups before lunch; 6 cups before dinner.
    I soak fenugreek seeds ( 2 tablespoon) in previous night and eat it every day in the morning along with water.
    I soak fenugreek seed ( 2 tablespoon) early in the morning to be eaten in the night before going to bed.

If you follow this, you will become regular. -- Naturally. No chemicals.

If you are women, Fenugreek helps you to enhance your breast too.

Uhh...18 cups of water a day? Our stomachs are only so big...and we have to get food in there as well...and who wants to be running to wee every few minutes? That really sounds over the top to me...
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Fiber one 90 calorie brownies or bars always do it for me!
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    exercise (I almost always have to poo after a run). water. coffee. alcohol. (the day-after-drinking ****s are so-called for a reason, but they require that you get pretty intoxicated. probably not the best for losing weight...)

Something I didn't realize until my doctor asked me about it.... but are you giving yourself time to sit on the toilet and poo? Some people can sit down and **** and be out of the bathroom in a minute. But some of us need to sit a bit and get everything settled right before things get movin'.

Also, try finding something (a box, a stool, heck I used to sit sideways on the toilet and put my feet on the edge of my bathtub) so you can lift your knees higher than your bum so that you're basically squatting the way little kids squat, butt-to-heels. It's less stressful on your body to poop while squatting. I spent a month in India using squatty potties and have never gone back to sitting to poop.
  • rrrufty
    Options
    I dont know what to do, im always constipated, i drink loads of water though and eat loads carrots but i dont know whatdo do, any advice??

"Metamucil: it helps you go to the toilet. If you don't use it, you'll get cancer and die."
  • Ayla70
    Options
    19 years of thyroid medication makes me debilitated with constipation at times. I've also tried it all. Prunes, pears, pear juice, coffee on an empty stomach, as well as far harsher stuff (chemicals) like ballerina tea, and laxatives. I got so bad recently I was almost hospitalised. Nothing worked. I kept going to the gym, kept moving, and then had to stop. When I stopped I lowered the amount of protein I was eating. I had read that too much protein can cause constipation. I ate huge bunches of grapes, and began taking Benefibre. It's a newer product than regular mettamucil and works really well. Keep drinking as much water as you can. I now take Benefibre every day, and watch my fibre count as I log my food to make sure it's up there.
  • debbiememphis
    Options
    I mix 1 cap full of MiraLax in half a glass of orange juice every night. Works great for me.
  • Kittyhawk10
    Options
    Kiwifruit....2 a day ..peeled and washed and sliced ...will do the trick
    ....Google it.. Loads of info about it . .... there is also a product called Kivia, which is kiwifruit based. I havent tried it but i know that I was to have more than 2 kiwi fruit in any one day I would be in trouble. Something about the enzymess and fibre combined. Kiwifruit also great for tenderising meat.
  • commandax
    commandax Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Unless you're lactose intolerant, I highly recommend eating yogurt with live bacteria cultures every day. I had problems for years until I figured out that my gut just needs more good bacteria to keep things moving. I have half a cup of plain Greek Gods yogurt every morning with kalamata olive tapenade, hummus, walnuts and a drizzle of kalamata olive oil. It's delicious, and keeps things running like clockwork. If I stop eating it for a few days, the troubles begin again!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    go eat anything at Taco Bell. You're welcome
  • Ayla70
    Options
    Kiwifruit....2 a day ..peeled and washed and sliced ...will do the trick
    ....Google it.. Loads of info about it . .... there is also a product called Kivia, which is kiwifruit based. I havent tried it but i know that I was to have more than 2 kiwi fruit in any one day I would be in trouble. Something about the enzymess and fibre combined. Kiwifruit also great for tenderising meat.

True! I also ate kiwifruit recently to get me moving.
  • cartoonfruit
    Options
    prunes lol :)
  • persistenttiger
    persistenttiger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, except I've been juicing everyday! I have a huge problem if that amount of fiber isn't helping!

Juice has the fibre removed....
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    R u taking any suppliments(vitamins). ??I find iron really bungs me up. You can get something called fibre Gel. Its soluble fibre you mix with water and it helps a great deal. If I get like you I only need use it twice a day for three days and bingo result :) hope this helps
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    To each their own. Bananas make me extra-constipated so I don't recommend those. Kiwis always do the trick though.

Also, what kind of veggies are you eating? Potatoes tend to cause constipation as well. On the other hand: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, all beans and legumes (lentils, peas)... For example, I have a portion of green beans with dinner about 3 times a week... but that's more because I like the taste, and they're high in both fibre and protein (!!!) while being low on calories. And they don't make me nearly as gassy as the regular beans, lol.