How much weight do you put on when you do squats?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Not even that helps.
    I use dumbbells and the v-squat which uses the plates. It has the shoulder pads I need. I can't get my left hand to the handle on that one. If my arms are the hands on a clock, I can only get to about 6:05. I make due with what I can get done. Still gets my legs burning. :bigsmile:

have you seen a dr to address the mobility issues? That sounds like it would be pretty detrimental to your daily life.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

Not even that helps.
    I use dumbbells and the v-squat which uses the plates. It has the shoulder pads I need. I can't get my left hand to the handle on that one. If my arms are the hands on a clock, I can only get to about 6:05. I make due with what I can get done. Still gets my legs burning. :bigsmile:

have you seen a dr to address the mobility issues? That sounds like it would be pretty detrimental to your daily life.

Yes. Stretches have actually improved range of motion and virtually eliminated the sudden sharp pain ( 7 on a 10 scale) if I moved to far. The binding point is an area that has almost no cartilage. Degenerative osteoarthritis (DOA) is the diagnosis. Also have DOA in my feet and left hip. Not bad in the left hip yet. But had surgery on the left foot in 2008. Also my tail bone due to a fall on ice about 6 years ago.
    The DOA in the shoulder doesn't effect me why swimming yet either. The swimming seems to help too. I just have to keep up with the stretching.
    I am apparently in that small group that develop DOA after even minor injuries. Not exactly the "elite" group one wants to be a member of. I guess there was a reason I was not meant to be athletic in high school. Small blessings. :wink:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Dang man. That sounds rough.
    Glad you're working with a doctor to try to keep at it.

Takes some balls to continue in the gym while dealing with injuries and arthritis.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    And for weight, I usually put on 120kgs/265lbs for strength training or 100kg/220lbs for hypertrophy
    Squatting til you drop! And trust me, my legs are NOT bulky! =)

How can you squat so much while having scoliosis?

Oh yeah, forgot to say... I only do front squats cos of my back. They are sooo hard!

you front squat 265lbs??!

That is insane.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Dang man. That sounds rough.
    Glad you're working with a doctor to try to keep at it.

Takes some balls to continue in the gym while dealing with injuries and arthritis.

I did get an minor scolding when I first went to the ortho doctor and he asked how long I had had the pain. They don't like hearing "2 to 3 years."
    The only thing that really bothered me to have to give up is martial arts training. I started at age 41 when my son was 6 years old. He actually made first dan 6 months before I did. And second dan too. But I can at least feel good about the 7 years I had training with the best bunch of people I have ever met. I learned how to get out of my own way and trust others more. And my son got to try and kick dad's ars without getting in trouble for it. He loved that he could kick me up side the head when he was 9. :bigsmile:

I can't throw a ball overhand anymore. But I can play tennis again since stretching started.
    I use a sit stand desk set up at work so I don't put pressure on my tail bone all day.
    And as I lose more weight, their will be less strain on the joints that have DOA. And so far, everything is improving so no sign of any surgical needs for the foreseeable future.
    So I don't dwell on what I can't change. I just do what I can and adapt as needed.
    Besides, I can still do a 50# one arm bent row with my left (DOA) arm. That motion is affected.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I got a PR on squats tonight, 170lbs for 5 reps.

Since when do you lift? I thought you were doing Taebo or something?
    I thought it was so I didn't have to lift the bar off the floor when doing curls?

No, you're right. The primary reason is for curls but you can also squat in the rack if you choose.
This discussion has been closed.