WHy are the first 5lbs the harded??

Options
Hey everyone. I have been struggling wtih my weight for the longest time and this time I am really serious. I've been using this site for about 3 weeks now and have only lost about 3lbs. I mean a pound a week isn't bad, but I see others losing 5lbs a week too. I just wish I knew the secret to all this.

What did everyone do their first month to drop that first 5-10lbs??

Replies

• CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    When I first started about a year ago I dropped 15 in about a month and a half, and since then have only lost about 12. All I remember is I stayed below my calorie limit everyday, and did some fairly intense cardio for at least a half hour 5 days a week or so.

I know this probably isn't very helpful, but sometimes I think our bodies just have minds of their own.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Open your diary... It would allow people to help you out a lot better. :)
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I first started off a couple of months back it took a week to lose a pound, and then another week to put back on that pound along with a few of it's friends that it had brought back with them. My problem? Not enough water and not eating my exercise calories back.

Everybody is different, and it can test you at times. The important thing is not to focus on what the scales say. Try and focus on how your jeans are getting looser, how refreshed you feel after a good day of eating and exercising right, how you no longer feel out of breath after a long walk. Anything else other than the scales.

Good luck!
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think the more you have to loose the more your body gets a shock and drops that first bit quicker
    Just seems to be my experience :)
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 11lbs in three weeks, which I guess equals out to more than 3lbs a week.

I just went total cold turkey on everything bad for me, and put 110% into working out and eating clean. I absolutely did not cheat once in that first month, I worked out ever single day for at least an hour, I cut alcohol, cut junk food and sugar (with the exception of fruit a few times a week). I actually found the first 25-30lbs the easiest to lose....I'm down to the last 10lbs now and I'm finding that to be the hardest and slowest. I think when you have a lot of excess fat, it can be easy to burn off if you really commit to doing it.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Your calorie level looks good, maybe increase protein a bit and cut back on processed foods, they have a lot of sodium and can make you retain water. What do you do for exercise?

And if you think the first 5 lbs are the hardest...try the last 5. That can take months or YEARS to lose.
  • anie8989
    anie8989 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    For exercise, I try to take my puppy for a walk for atleast 30-45 mins, but sometimes it hard because by the time I get home from work, it's almost dark, and we don't have the best of a neighborhood to walk around at night, plus when I get home, I have to get my puppy outside, get changed, eat dinner because I am starving by then, and get some other things done.

I like to use the xbox Kinect I boyfriend has. I recently just bought the Zumba Rush game and a workout game for it. We also have Kinect sports, the MIchael Jackson game and Dance Central 2. When I play the games, I try to play them for atleast an hour.

I am trying the best I can, but sometimes I can't cut somethings out since I have such a hectic life.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    For exercise, I try to take my puppy for a walk for atleast 30-45 mins, but sometimes it hard because by the time I get home from work, it's almost dark, and we don't have the best of a neighborhood to walk around at night, plus when I get home, I have to get my puppy outside, get changed, eat dinner because I am starving by then, and get some other things done.

I like to use the xbox Kinect I boyfriend has. I recently just bought the Zumba Rush game and a workout game for it. We also have Kinect sports, the MIchael Jackson game and Dance Central 2. When I play the games, I try to play them for atleast an hour.

I am trying the best I can, but sometimes I can't cut somethings out since I have such a hectic life.

I'm a single mom working two jobs with three kids (and two dogs too). It's about priorities. You either prioritize making the time to make yourself healthy.......or your don't. Ask yourself.....is your health and being fit worth an hour a day to you?
  • martintanz
    Options
    Need to know what you are eating, and are you staying below the calorie totals consistently? You also might want to consider hiring a trainer to set up an exercise program for you beyond just walking your dogs. I cannot speak to video games as an exercise regimen as I don't play them. Maybe others have more experience with these.
  • anie8989
    anie8989 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I'm a single mom working two jobs with three kids (and two dogs too). It's about priorities. You either prioritize making the time to make yourself healthy.......or your don't. Ask yourself.....is your health and being fit worth an hour a day to you?

I appreciate you trying to help with your suggestions, but not everyone can do everything. I am only one person. I understand you are a single mom with two jobs. I am working full-time, I go to college part-time, when I get home it's late, so I still have things to get done around the house. Yes I have a dog, but he's a puppy with needs. He is home ALL day without any interaction, and I can't just go home and ignore him just to work out, or leave him alone for another couple hours while I am at the gym. That would be considered neglecting an animal, and he means the world to mean. It's already hard to leave him at home all day.

And I do prioritize my time and my life. It means for to me that I am around my family for an hour rather than working out. This past year, I have not had the yet best, almost losing my dad and my mom within months of each other, I take the time to talk to them and spend time with them. I also spend time with my niece and my newest little niece, because if I allow myself to "think about myself" all the time rather than spending an hour with them, I may never see them again because of something.

I take each day, one day at a time. I live my wrongs and make them right. Each day I am getting better and doing things for myself.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I lost a pound a week since I've been on. The first weight to go is often water weight. If you didn't have that to lose you go into regular weight loss pattern earlier.

We all lose differently. I can get bummed out looking at people who've lost tremendous amounts quickly too. Then again, I didn't have a huge amount to lose to start with and that I had gained over 30 years.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I appreciate you trying to help with your suggestions, but not everyone can do everything. I am only one person. I understand you are a single mom with two jobs. I am working full-time, I go to college part-time, when I get home it's late, so I still have things to get done around the house. Yes I have a dog, but he's a puppy with needs. He is home ALL day without any interaction, and I can't just go home and ignore him just to work out, or leave him alone for another couple hours while I am at the gym. That would be considered neglecting an animal, and he means the world to mean. It's already hard to leave him at home all day.

And I do prioritize my time and my life. It means for to me that I am around my family for an hour rather than working out. This past year, I have not had the yet best, almost losing my dad and my mom within months of each other, I take the time to talk to them and spend time with them. I also spend time with my niece and my newest little niece, because if I allow myself to "think about myself" all the time rather than spending an hour with them, I may never see them again because of something.

I take each day, one day at a time. I live my wrongs and make them right. Each day I am getting better and doing things for myself.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I think it's the other way around. The first 5lbs is the easiest by far. It gets much harder as you get closer to your goal weight. The last 5lbs are the real killer.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to others. A pound a week is good. 5-10 lbs in one week is water weight, or serious illness.
  • martintanz
    Options
    No need to get defensive about it. :smile: 3 lbs is great. If you don't have time to exercise as long or as hard as someone else, then just do the best you can. But, you asked why some are losing weight faster.

I looked at a couple of days of your diary. It looks like you are eating a lot of processed food. Maybe try to shift away from high salt processed foods and shift to more fresh vegetables. It isn't that hard. If you can't swing fresh, try frozen vegetables, and stay away from lean cuisines, and Sargento snacks. They aren't that good for you and relative to the calories you are consuming, the aren't very satisfying. Second, I see that there are mystery meals. Are you sure you are accurately estimating how many calories you are consuming?

None of this is criticism. Even 1 lb a week is about 36 lbs in a year.
  • ksloop00
    Options
    When I first started I lost 11 lbs. in one week! I think it was water weight and my body reacting to changes in what I ate and exercising. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and try not to drink pop. I exercise like crazy too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you think the the first 5 is hard, wait until you get near the the last 5... Also, try to be more consistent with your eating. Your goal is 1800 calories and the majority of the time you are around 1300. Also, try to eat unpackaged foods. This will help with reducing sodium. And better yet, try to get a lot of calories from lean meats and fish. High protein diets are much more effective at weight loss.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I have been struggling wtih my weight for the longest time and this time I am really serious. I've been using this site for about 3 weeks now and have only lost about 3lbs. I mean a pound a week isn't bad, but I see others losing 5lbs a week too. I just wish I knew the secret to all this.

What did everyone do their first month to drop that first 5-10lbs??

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

While I can't tell you or anyone else what will work for YOU, This is what worked for me --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

You have to experiment with what works for you. You can notch your calories UP or DOWN by 100 and give it a couple of weeks (but keep in mind the fluctuations mentioned above). I found the following quote quite helpful:
    We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (from The Body Centric Eating Guide in the Venus Index manuals)

Best of luck to you! -Bobbie
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The last 5 are going to be a lot harder than the first 5
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

This is so true. I had the same issues. I work a lot, am a single mom, and didn't make the time. But once I started prioritizing I found time. Plus I do all my working out at home. There are tons of things you can do at home.