WHy are the first 5lbs the harded??

Options

Replies

• martintanz
    Options
    I really do appreciate everyone advice, or concerns.
    Though, I am NOT making excuses. If I were, I wouldn't be trying to do anything. As for though, who say I need to change my eating habits entirely and looked at my food diary, obviously you are ONLY looking at the past few days. Like I said in the past, I was at a cook-out and I wasn't able to track my entire food that day. I did my research and the calories are roughly the same. Also, I've had a rough week, so no I haven't exercised since Thursday night, but everyone would see my regualy eating habits if they would have went back a week or two. I plan to exercise tonight, but please do not slam me for just looking at example from the past couple of days. Two days do not show someones life style to be able to critize it.

Like I said before, I do appreciate everyones opinion, and everyone has the right to their opinion. But please do not say hateful things to me, when I am simply asking for advice, and not for those to slam my lifestyle.

If folks seem to be hard on you, it is because to some extent, we have all been there. We all have bad days, bad months, or even bad years. But put it behind you and make what positive changes you can.

BTW, I did read a few of your food diaries from a couple of weeks ago. The last two days isn't an abberation, but rather typical, IMO. Do what you can, and try to be consistent.
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good advice already, some of it brutally honest and perhaps perceived by you as a little harsh. So be it, I agree with everything they've said. You have a busy life we all do, but if you are serious about getting healthy and losing weight, it has to be a priority. Some things that have been successful for me are::

-Buy a digital scale and ensure you have a measuring cup and spoons.

-If it goes in your body you should weigh or measure it first and log everything.

-Always pack a lunch and healthy snacks for work/school. When we get overly hungry we make bad choices

-Eat as much clean non-processed food as you can, sometimes easier said than done, but still always try to stay away from processed food. Also, eat more protein, you're probably not eating enough, I know I wasn't. Lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish, certain beef cuts), black beans, cottage cheese, edamame beans, protein shakes, etc.

-Get 45-60 minutes of cardio exercise 5-6 times a week or more if you can do it. If all you can do is walk your puppy, well that works, but it shouldn't be a stroll in the park, you should be walking or work up to walking like you are late for a meeting.

-Buy a heart rate monitor so you know when you get your heart rate up, there's lots of information on here and other sites about them.

-Strength training 3-4 days a week is important as well, many of the successful women I've seen on MFP lift weights regularly and have muscles. ;) Being strong is good, muscle burns more calories than fat.

-Take photos and body measurements regularly, in the event the scale lies and as a reminder of how far you've comes.

-Don't expect miracles, it took a long time to put the weight on, it could take a while to take it off. My goal from the start this spring has been to lose a pound a week, the fact that for whatever reason I've done better than that is a bonus.

-The more you log and exercise and lose, the more it will motivate you and drive you; so stick with it!

-If you know you are going out for dinner, well first off plan accordingly, and make sure you get in a good cardio workout to make room calorically and then make healthy choices. Having said that, I love pizza, and I still eat pizza to this day and I've averaged eating it every week or two since I started, but I always bust my butt in the gym to allow for it.

-Drink lots of water, its good for you and keeps your body running efficiently.

-Lastly, if you have a bad day, try not to, but if you do, so what stuff happens, make sure it's only a bad day, not a bad week, or bad month. We all fall down now and then, the trick is getting back up quickly.
  • martintanz
    Options

"I'm not making excuse BUT I CANT EAT GOOD BECAUSE OF XYZ AND I CANT WORK OUT BECAUSE OF XYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

As I said, we have all been there. I think I avoided the scale for the last couple of years because I didn't want to come face to face with my own excuses. Too much work, Too tired. Not enough time to eat a healthy lunch or get to the gym. I don't really overeat like my late obese father used to. I can still get into my old suits so I must not be gaining weight(used that one until I couldn't get the pants on).
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    "I just wanted to post something about what to expect during the phases of weight loss.

Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

This is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from."
  • Candysland2013
    Options
    I lost my first 11lbs in three weeks, which I guess equals out to more than 3lbs a week.

I just went total cold turkey on everything bad for me, and put 110% into working out and eating clean. I absolutely did not cheat once in that first month, I worked out ever single day for at least an hour, I cut alcohol, cut junk food and sugar (with the exception of fruit a few times a week). I actually found the first 25-30lbs the easiest to lose....I'm down to the last 10lbs now and I'm finding that to be the hardest and slowest. I think when you have a lot of excess fat, it can be easy to burn off if you really commit to doing it.

I lost my first 8 in a week .. I gave up everything bad pretty much ...watched calories...no sodas... and cardio 5 times a week ...
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I have been struggling wtih my weight for the longest time and this time I am really serious. I've been using this site for about 3 weeks now and have only lost about 3lbs. I mean a pound a week isn't bad, but I see others losing 5lbs a week too. I just wish I knew the secret to all this.

What did everyone do their first month to drop that first 5-10lbs??

i started September 11th this year...so i just started week 3, the first week i dropped 5 lbs and the second week 2.4 lbs....my profile is set to lose 1 lb per week...but i think for me, the reason why so far, that its came off so fast...is because i went from drinking mostly coffee and very little to no water, to drinking 72 oz of water every single day...every one is different..just keep at it!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    It may be voodoo, but I cut out all meat (except seafood) the first 2 months of my workout plan. I lost alot of weight - now i incorporate chicken and turkey in - and now ive been at my current weight for a week. I say change the diet change the body!
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    secret: list your sodium(salt) and sugars as well, and try to stay below those numbers as well as calories.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Congrats on the first 3lbs!

You should change things up though. I've been here just over 3 weeks and I'm down 12lbs. I was a crap eater for a while before I switched over to here. I hardly exercise (changing that up tonight - 30 day shred + treadmill each night) and I still lost.

If you want my suggestions - drop the frozen dinners. Whole, home-made lunches are better, more satisfying and cheaper!
    Add protein in the morning
    Eat all (or damn close to) your calories!!

Sure there can be other changes in there, but for now, if you make those changes, you'll see a difference, I'm sure!

You can add me as well, if you like!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    The first 5 pounds were the easiest for me. I'd never gotten regular exercise before then, and once I started running 3-4 days a week, that first chunk of weight came right off! I've never had that much success by just dieting.
  • gingah73
    Options
    GIRL! It's not hateful....it's called TRUTH! It's totally ok if you aren't in a place to do the work........but don't get offfended when you ASK for advice and then get called on your bad habits.

"I'm not making excuse BUT I CANT EAT GOOD BECAUSE OF XYZ AND I CANT WORK OUT BECAUSE OF XYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Word.

It's tough to hear, but the truth often is. I remember being in a similar mind set and wanting to not be fat anymore, but not being prepared to truly commit to the work. I talked to people about wanting to lose, but I wasn't taking the necessary steps to do it. When I got the same advice you're getting here, I reacted in the same way, as though I were being attacked. I couldn't see the excuses I was making, nor was I fortunate enough to have somebody tell me point blank: you're making excuses. Often, people will just nod and say "you'll get there" to change the subject because they don't know how to deal with your reaction. Take these "harsh truths" as a blessing - you'll get there quicker the more self aware you are, and sometimes that takes a big push. It took me years to "get it," you have an opportunity to turn that around much more quickly.

When you REALLY want to do it (which means also wanting to do the work to get there), you will look for opportunities to eat healthier and exercise, rather than look for reasons why you can't. (ie, instead of reacting with "I can't, because..." your paradigm will shift to "I will find a way" or even "here's my schedule, help me find opportunities" etc.) Nobody is judging you for not being there yet, you've already taken the first step of signing up on MFP and tracking what you eat, and that's a lot farther than many other people have gotten.
  • vnakkar
    Options
    If you're short on time to prepare foods try cooking in large batches. The recipe function here on MFP is awesome, I usually cook meals in batches of 8 servings and box them up and in my bag they go for lunch, dinner, or snack.

Even more short on time? Get yourself a crock-pot or other slow cooker. One-pot meals can be really good when you're controlling the ingredients and portion sizes. Toss everything in before leaving for the day and come home to a house that smells awesome!! Take the mystery out of what you eat, make lots of food at once with little effort, save money and stress. I'm rotating through 5 sets of left overs at the moment to make sure things don't get too boring. I probably spend 1 hour every 3 days cooking and can produce tons of food to keep me rolling.
  • anie8989
    anie8989 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you're short on time to prepare foods try cooking in large batches. The recipe function here on MFP is awesome, I usually cook meals in batches of 8 servings and box them up and in my bag they go for lunch, dinner, or snack.

Even more short on time? Get yourself a crock-pot or other slow cooker. One-pot meals can be really good when you're controlling the ingredients and portion sizes. Toss everything in before leaving for the day and come home to a house that smells awesome!! Take the mystery out of what you eat, make lots of food at once with little effort, save money and stress. I'm rotating through 5 sets of left overs at the moment to make sure things don't get too boring. I probably spend 1 hour every 3 days cooking and can produce tons of food to keep me rolling.

I really do love to use my crock pot and make
    Stuff on the weekends. But because I have a small
    Kitchen and keep the puppy in their during the day he likes to jump up on the counter and get everything. So during the day while I'm away cooking food in the crock pot isn't going to be a good idea unless I wanna come home to a puppy covered in food with a mess of a floor.
  • nurselynne33
    Options
    Try to move two times a day for 30-40 minutes once early in the morning and then again early evening that way your metabolism will be at it's best that should work
  • gingah73
    Options
    Kitchen and keep the puppy in their during the day he likes to jump up on the counter and get everything. So during the day while I'm away cooking food in the crock pot isn't going to be a good idea unless I wanna come home to a puppy covered in food with a mess of a floor.

Then put the crockpot in the bathroom and close the door so the puppy can't get it.

(opportunities vs. excuses)
  • CindyCountingCalories
    Options
    Bump for later
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Then put the crockpot in the bathroom and close the door so the puppy can't get it.

(opportunities vs. excuses)

Yup.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hey Anie. I understand. I am working full time, married and have a fur baby to :) I raised my dog from 7 weeks old so I know what you are going to. You say that it gets dark by the time he gets home and he is an inside dog. Mine is to and I have a similar situation. What are you doing in the mornings? Do you have class and work super early? If you have it about 7 or 8, is there any way you can wake up earlier maybe like 530 or 6 and go maybe jogging instead of just walking. Even if its just 30 mins, so you can get better cardio in that has your heart rate faster than just walking, unless you are walking at a very brisk pace. It is very wise to incorporate your workout walk/jog with your pup with your schedule for sure. Thats what I am having to do I have to wake up an hour earlier to jog with my dog instead of doing the cardio at night. That way you can take him out at night but your not worried about your workout.. just getting him to poop. And of coarse what everybody said about healthy eating. There is a saying that what you weight is about 20% what you excercise and 80% in the kitchen and what you eat. I hope this helps maybe.. this is what I do I understand about the importance of your animals :)
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. It seems like the "quick add" could cover a multitude of indiscretions. If you are eating out a lot a high amount of daily sodium may be keeping you from dropping that initial water weight loss that many of us experienced. If you are under estimating your "quick add" you aren't doing yourself any favors. Try to be very thorough and meticulous about your food diary for a while to see what you are really eating. There is a HUGE food database. If you can't find it in the database you can add it or enter something that is most similar to what you ate. Also, you might consider adding sodium to the components you are tracking.

Don't give up. MFP has all the tools you need to lose weight. All you have to do is enter everything you eat, move and be patient.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    For exercise, I try to take my puppy for a walk for atleast 30-45 mins, but sometimes it hard because by the time I get home from work, it's almost dark, and we don't have the best of a neighborhood to walk around at night, plus when I get home, I have to get my puppy outside, get changed, eat dinner because I am starving by then, and get some other things done.

I like to use the xbox Kinect I boyfriend has. I recently just bought the Zumba Rush game and a workout game for it. We also have Kinect sports, the MIchael Jackson game and Dance Central 2. When I play the games, I try to play them for atleast an hour.

I am trying the best I can, but sometimes I can't cut somethings out since I have such a hectic life.

I'm a single mom working two jobs with three kids (and two dogs too). It's about priorities. You either prioritize making the time to make yourself healthy.......or your don't. Ask yourself.....is your health and being fit worth an hour a day to you?

You're my hero!! lol I have one kid, one dog, work full time, and I'm going back to college in the spring. I'm a single Mom during the week, my husband is on the road Monday thru Friday. I do really well with food choices, but I struggle with the motivation to work out.

To the OP, for me it fell off in the beginning. I lost like 6 pounds the first week I think. But I was a huge soda drinker. I think just cutting that back is what dropped the weight off initially. Recently my weight loss stalled. I was struggling with the same pound for about two weeks. I started watching my carbs more closely. I have been under my goal everyday this week, and have lost about two pounds. So maybe that is something to look at.