The ABSURD things people say.....

Options

Replies

• randomgirlusa
    randomgirlusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I was 8 years old and normal weight for my age....
    Mom: "You need to lose weight or you're going to end up like your Aunt or your Grandmother."

When I was 25....
    Mom: "I'm just worried about your health. I mean, you could end up like your Aunt and she's got diabetes. Do you want to have to take insulin shots every day?"

Last night....
    Me: "I'm using this site called myfitnesspal.com now to help me lose weight. "It's really easy to use and it's free. I think I like it better than weight watchers."
    Mom: "Good. You need to."
  • AXAGEM
    AXAGEM Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a few workout friends that will say something if they notice a change in my weight or muscle tone. However, everyone else just stares at me through the corner of their eyes when they think I am not looking or give me that up and down elevator look. I never talk about my eating habits and seldom talk about my exercise to friends and family. However a few of them will often tell me about someone who has lost some weight and how good they look, but nothing to me when I have lost 85lbs, I just smile and say good on them.

The thing that is driving me crazy right now, is that when people eat their food in front of me, which in a lot of cases is not the best of choices. They always seem to want to tell me that (1) they haven't eaten all day, hence the amount and choice of food, or (2) if we are having lunch, they will say something like, this is going to be my lunch and dinner and I am not going to eat for the rest of the day. The thing is I won't have anyone tell me what they think I should be eating (unless I ask) and for that very reason I am not going to tell anyone about what they are eating, as adults we make our choices in life. Again I just smile, but say nothing.

I am 5.8 and currently 175.6lbs and my goal is 150lbs, and I hate, hate, hate it when people call me skinny.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    When I'd lost enough that people started to notice, it surprised me that after the compliments usually came the judgement, as in "I guess you're having to starve yourself, right?" Ummm, NO! But not many people want to believe that.

Some friends seem genuinely interested in trying MFP until they find out they would have to log everything they eat and perhaps read labels. Then they decide they're too busy, the implication being that I'm not.

Tracking exercise has been an education for me, but also a frustration. I've always known that I couldn't manage my weight with exercise. Now I know that there are very few people who can. It drives me crazy when the media perpetuates the idea that the sole answer to obesity is activity, especially with kids. To me, that's really absurd!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    My dad said...

Don't you think you are getting close to becoming anorexic?

If you keep up that boxing, you're going to start to look like a man.

hmm... an anorexic man?

EDIT: And... YOU don't need to count calories!!! Why on earth would you be doing that?!?
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    "42 pounds? I didn't know you were THAT big!"
    "Are you on one of those fad diets?"
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    When I was on another website I had my heaviest weight and lowest weight listed and almost everyday I would have people asking me to tell them every step/thing I did when I lost all that weight.....:noway: :huh:
    When I lose anywhere above 5lbs it is noticeable so I will have my mom saying mean things to me. And now that i have moved out it is probably going to be something like you never buy food or you have no money to buy food? ... something along the lines of that :explode:
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I hate going out to eat now with friends. I am the only one in my friend group trying to lose weight, but not the only one who needs too. I think it bugs some people that you are taking losing weight seriously. I eat salads a LOT more and I have friends who constantly try to get me to eat crap, I think it is to make themselves feel better.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I've gotten a lot of positive feedback, and so far, it hasn't gotten old. I love sharing my weight loss with people, even if I may blush talking about it. :blushing:

As for the "negative" comments, I've gotten:

"Oh, that's right. You can't eat this because you're on a diet. I forgot." I get this from my husband a lot. I know he means no harm, though.

I work with a woman who I seriously think has body dysmorphia or whatever it's called. She is tall, thin, and a health nut! But she HATES her body and is constantly striving to lose more and more weight. She says things all the time about how fat she is, what a whale she is, how she can't fit into her size 8 jeans anymore, etc., and then proceeds to tell me how "slim" I look, how I'm losing soooo much weight, how I'm wasting away to nothing. FYI - I still have probably about 50+ pounds on her. Before I started losing weight, the comments about how fat she was made me really mad, and we ended up getting into a pretty heated argument about it. Now that I'm losing weight, I feel sorry for her, and I realize that she is jealous, even though she has no reason to be.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty lucky so far. Most of my friends have been really complimentary. Afew (who are bigger than me) just don't say anything. I have only just recently starting to get comments about how I shouldnt' lose more, from my Mom, her best friend, and my grandma.

I was visiting my mom while her best friend was over and the friend said "You are looking great, but you don't need to lose any more - you'll get too skinny". I replied: "I still have quite a bit of fat in my tummy and thighs that I'd like to get rid of." And then my Mom pipes in, "Well, you ARE 32." I said "Just because I'm 32 doesn't mean I have to have excess fat on me!"

I'm not even that hardcore. I indulge regularly and exercise about 3 times a week. I was just really unhealthy before.

Then this weekend my Grandma says to me "Don't lose anymore weight - you'll be too thin." I just ignored it mostly. I'm still not back at my pre-gain weight, which is my goal, and I wasn't "too thin" then. I've never been "too thin".

I don't mind too much though because it tells me that I'm starting to look good :)
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    "Did you have surgery?"

No, not everyone who is over 300 pounds has to have surgery to control their appetite and food choices, and surgery wouldn't get me off the couch. I (*gasp*) reduced my calories, trained myself to eat better, and started exercising. Imagine that! All of the victory with no insurance co-pays, health risks, doctor visits, or rearranging my insides, and I have less of a chance of gaining the weight back since I had to learn good habits and willpower instead of *altering my organs* to prevent me from stuffing my face.
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    People do say the darn-est things. I've heard wow you look so different now. Oh my God what are you doing to drop weight? Oh you trying to be a skinny girl. How much more weight are you gonna loose. Most of the time I try to make up so out landish story to make them look stupid. One of my favorites which I know I'll be using this weekend is the Dog food diet. LOL . I say that I put 1 cup of kibble in each of my pockets and everytime I feel hungry I eat a couple. That usually gets them out of my face.

LOL
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When I was 8 years old and normal weight for my age....
    Mom: "You need to lose weight or you're going to end up like your Aunt or your Grandmother."

When I was 25....
    Mom: "I'm just worried about your health. I mean, you could end up like your Aunt and she's got diabetes. Do you want to have to take insulin shots every day?"

Last night....
    Me: "I'm using this site called myfitnesspal.com now to help me lose weight. "It's really easy to use and it's free. I think I like it better than weight watchers."
    Mom: "Good. You need to."

That's sad :( I'm sorry you have to go through that...
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What grinds my gears again is to lose about two sizes and nobody on this earth even notices.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Don't get all skinny mini on me. I said oh really I should remain at 18% BF and not shoot for less than 10? Why is that exactly?
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My HUH moment came when my niece who is 13 y/o & wears a size 00 in juniors came & asked me what diet i was on b/c she needed to go on it.....i was like are you kidding me?!? i'm 5'3" & weigh 147, size 10 --- don't even remember being in a size 00 as a teenager, so i just told her she was CRAZY!
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What grinds my gears again is to lose about two sizes and nobody on this earth even notices.

i'm sorry - that can definitely be disheartening!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options

"Thank you for the advice. By the way, you look good, but all the jealousy you are wearing really clashes with your smile."

Can i use that?
    Its awsome. ( just like you)
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same, then it occured to me, what if they had commented when you gained two dress sizes?

Chances are ppl have noticed, but dont want to make one of the many stupid comments posted here.
  • omorgano
    omorgano Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My husband said he hadn't noticed that I went from 185 to 163 and dropped a size.. :grumble:
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You look great. Are you dieting because your husband was losing interest?
    I can be tactless sometimes but OMG that comment really takes the cake (no pun intended). Must've been a really close friend to say something so personal and tactless.
    Many years ago my boyfriend was overseas for a few months and I lost 15kg during that time. I looked really trim but he didn't say a word. After a few days I asked him if he even noticed and he said 'yes I noticed but I didn't say anything in case it inflated your ego'. This is the same guy who would eat takeaways in front of me to harden me up. Needless to say I realised he was an eejit and married someone way more supportive.