Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    oh Oreo cookies. 2 cookies is 140 calories. Doesn't sound like much right but who only eats 2 cookies?

I stare longingly at Oreos every time I enter the store but SERIOUSLY. Like you said.
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    oh Oreo cookies. 2 cookies is 140 calories. Doesn't sound like much right but who only eats 2 cookies?

^^ This. I was shocked when I found out. I remember eating a whole sleeve of Oreo cookies in one sitting.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Muffins!
    ... Pop-Tarts. Just ONE is 220 cals (and who doesn't eat both in the wrapper?)

this was my surprise. don't eat them myself, but my kids love them.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    deff muffins! ahhh.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    .... I don't know how you can FIT that many calories into such a tiny and insubstantial morsel of food. And why would anybody make it and sell it to the public? Whether it tastes "good" or not, it just seems like there MUST be slightly healthier and just as tasty alternatives that could be standardized... No?

The trick is remembering that food producers and restaurants are in business to sell FOOD not nutrition. I take crap every week for knowing what I eat and making decisions based on macros.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Picked up a food scale last week... Made a sammie this morning for work. Thought I would add a small amount of peanut butter as I was going to weigh it - over two hundred calories in peanut butter! 90 calories a tablespoon? Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

Peanut butter can very good for you though. I eat it every day. gotta definitely watch how much you eat but if ya do it right, its very nutritious. and it tastes good...helps keep me from eating a lot worse junk, lol.

Totally agree!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Restaurant meal-size salads in general. I used to think I was being healthy ordering a salad when I ate out, but then discovered I was eating more than 1200 calories in the salad, when I could get a steak & veggies for under 700

salads can be deceiving, but most of time, its due to dressing. cheese/croutons/dried fruit/fried chicken will obviously add to the high calorie count, but those are usually more obvious. i always ask if they have a light alternative to the dressing, and if not, either get it on the side, order something else, or leave off the high calorie toppings.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A veggie sub from Quiznos has more calories than a Big Mac

Woah!!
  • sobriquet84
    Options
    1. dried fruit
    2. granola
  • cniebauer
    Options
    Peanut butter...it makes me sad, I love it so much
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Just this morning...Plain black coffee at Dunkin Donuts (the seasonal Pumpkin flavored) no sugar, no cream no nothing...210 calories!!! Right from their website! I poured half of it down the drain once I looked up the calories. Black coffee...really 210 calories?!? In fact, here is my exact status update from this morning...

Can somebody talk me off of this ledge???? After my walk this morning, I stopped at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee...I ordered the Pumpin Spice...black. No sugar, no sweetener, no cream, no nothing. I get home and pull up their website for nutrition information and the only Pumpkin coffee on the website shows per serving (20 fl oz) Calories 210?!?!?!?!?! WHAT?!?!!?!? INGREDIENTS: Brewed 100% Arabica Coffee, Pumpkin Spice Syrup [Skim Milk, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Brown Sugar, Caramel Color, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Salt]. Is a 20 oz. black coffee REALLY over 200 calories and loaded with all of these extra ingredients?! I've got to be missing something somewhere?! I feel like I need to go purge this crap from my system!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Kraft Mac and Cheese (400 cals./ serving)
    Poptarts (200 for one)
    McDonald's Shamrock Shake (500 cals. for a small!)
    Panera Cookie (400 cals.)
    Tandori Naan Bread (600 calories)

The whole thing with servings in packages! Companies should only be allowed to put one serving size in a container or at least make the package resealable. Like the Poptarts...one is a serving but they put two in the package and you can't reseal it so you eat both of them because if you don't the other goes stale! Or Otis Spunkmeyer muffins, 1/2 a muffin is a serving, who is only going to eat half of the muffin?!? That drives me nuts!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just this morning...Plain black coffee at Dunkin Donuts (the seasonal Pumpkin flavored) no sugar, no cream no nothing...210 calories!!! Right from their website! I poured half of it down the drain once I looked up the calories. Black coffee...really 210 calories?!? In fact, here is my exact status update from this morning...

O. M. G.
    Wow.
  • sobriquet84
    Options

Can somebody talk me off of this ledge???? After my walk this morning, I stopped at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee...I ordered the Pumpin Spice...black. No sugar, no sweetener, no cream, no nothing. I get home and pull up their website for nutrition information and the only Pumpkin coffee on the website shows per serving (20 fl oz) Calories 210?!?!?!?!?! WHAT?!?!!?!? INGREDIENTS: Brewed 100% Arabica Coffee, Pumpkin Spice Syrup [Skim Milk, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Brown Sugar, Caramel Color, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Salt]. Is a 20 oz. black coffee REALLY over 200 calories and loaded with all of these extra ingredients?! I've got to be missing something somewhere?! I feel like I need to go purge this crap from my system!

what a rip!!!! usually its the BEANS they treat to get the flavor. they should include the fact that its syrup and not flavored beans.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options

O. M. G.
    Wow.

I'm told (a MFP friend worked for DD at one time...) they flavor their regular coffee with a flavored syrup that's full of all that extra crap that I gave up months ago!!
  • tarahyng
    tarahyng Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Double Cheeseburger from McDonalds = 440 cal. Yuck.
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Dogfish Head - Palo Sant Marron 12oz Beer - 360 calories
  • boswellheather
    boswellheather Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    These ramen noodle bowls that my hubby buys for lunch at work. they got me at first cause it was 190 a serving but there are 2 servings per bowl!! who's going to eat half a bowl of ramen.

Also ceareal! i am shocked by the calorie content of almost ALL cold cereal! *sigh*
  • LexRaven
    LexRaven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A veggie sub from Quiznos has more calories than a Big Mac

Woah!!

unREAL :huh:
  • altacosturabeth
    altacosturabeth Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Generally food in restaurants. Like one standard meal is around 1200 calories each!

I'm going on holiday on Saturday and I'm quite worried about all the restaurant food!