Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Orange Juice. Like liquid candy. Haven't drank it in a year...

I make myself "soda" with spakling water and a splash of OJ. It gives me the flavor without all the calories or sugar and to be honest I like it better than straight OJ. OJ alone is way too sweet for me.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    One night i was DYING for something sweet, which is unusual for me... so i pulled out one of hubbys rice crispy treats.. (the halloween ones) ONLY 100 CALORIES!! I ate & enjoied it and didnt have to feel bad, because i had 150 calories left for the day.. i was still under!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Tortillas!! A large tortilla has about 200 calories! Served my hubby 3 fajita/taco type thingys... 600 cals in JUST the tortillas! Never mind the meat, cheese, sour cream, etc.. Probably a 1000 calorie dinner!

Now I've switched to smaller, wheat tortillas from Trader Joes, only 80cals each. After all- the tortilla doesn't really have much taste - it's just the vehicle to get all the goodies into your mouth! ha ha!

I have the burrito shells and they're about 140 each............
  • showmeswty
    showmeswty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Marie Calendar's pot pies. I love them, but they're supposed to be 2 servings and high calories. Who only eats half the pot pie? I haven't had one in a year so I don't remember the calorie count, but it made me sick!

There are like 630 calories per serving if I remember right...and you don't feel full even when you eat the whole pot pie
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Probably nuts in general, even though they are good for you....and the fact that a 1/4 cup serving is MUCH less than you think it is!
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    PB&J!!
  • jehuster
    Options
    Donuts. They get me every time. I don't eat them often, but when I do I always regret is simply because they take so many calories out of my day.

I agree...I had one just yesterday and even a plain cake donut has 340 calories!!!!! :noway:
  • Inamourada
    Options
    The veggie omelette from IHOP!!! Wtf do they put in that thing? Is it made out of an entire carton of eggs or something?

Haha! Probably oil, butter, oil, oil and more oil. Plus a little butter.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Picked up a food scale last week... Made a sammie this morning for work. Thought I would add a small amount of peanut butter as I was going to weigh it - over two hundred calories in peanut butter! 90 calories a tablespoon? Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

I recommend that everyone use a food scale. It's shocking how small portions are when you first start using one, but then it becomes empowering. I know how much I actually eat because I weigh everything or measure everything. If I log half a cup of anything, you should know that it was a half cup because I actually use my little measuring cups as spoons to serve with. I've lost weight much faster and easier since I started making sure my portions were exact.

I am religious with my scale. Makes tracking WAY easier, stretches my food budget, and keeps me honest and on track!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    pretty much food in general. Never looked at a calorie content until 1.5 years ago...could be how I got so darn fat.....blast!!!! :cry:
  • LexRaven
    LexRaven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    :cry: My morning chai tea latte:
    260 plus calories per 10oz cup. It is so GOOD just not good for me
  • SpiritRockBernie
    Options
    i just started counting calories after joining MFP since it was so easy to look up. I was shocked at EVERY food I looked up. Even fruit has a good amount of calories.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My favorite kettle-cooked potato chips. :sad: One serving is 15 chips? And that has 150 calories WHAT????

I pulled out 15 chips and laid them on a paper towel. Ok, I can eat this serving in 2.3 seconds flat. I would easily eat 6 servings at a time previously, 900 calories, probably more to be honest.

Peanuts also shocked me but that's turned out to be a good thing since they are very filling to me and when I occasionally have a day where I'm having trouble getting enough and want to make up the difference without eating a large volume of low-cal food, a small handful is all I need to get me there.

A cup of coffee before I started measuring my flavored creamer - I estimate I was drinking about 200 cals at a time (multiple times a day). In fact, I realized I actually WASN'T eating that much pre-MFP on most days; the problem was liquid calories via sweetened coffees. I was drinking around 1200 cals a day.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Ditto on this and I like it a lot but not missing it, denise
    Orange Juice. Like liquid candy. Haven't drank it in a year...
  • wyattsmomjoy
    wyattsmomjoy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tortillas!! A large tortilla has about 200 calories! Served my hubby 3 fajita/taco type thingys... 600 cals in JUST the tortillas! Never mind the meat, cheese, sour cream, etc.. Probably a 1000 calorie dinner!

Now I've switched to smaller, wheat tortillas from Trader Joes, only 80cals each. After all- the tortilla doesn't really have much taste - it's just the vehicle to get all the goodies into your mouth! ha ha!

I found Ole Mexican Foods Extreme Wellness Tortillias, Tomato Basil flavor. Only 68 per 8" tortillia!
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A small package of clotted cream fudge is 411 calories. Sad face.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Muffins!

The pumpkin muffin from Dunkin Donuts is 600 calories...makes me cry.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I thought I was eating healthy okay I cheated and had chips but actually I thought I was doing okay but then wow. food Diary is open to public some mail me with suggestions. I know I need to exercise but have a sore neck took tylneol so I will go for a walk tonight after my girl scouts tonight
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    So many! This is one of the most important and one of my most loved features of MFP, I can scan a product in on my phone and go "holy Jesus I am not eating that!" before I make the mistake :) Thank you MFP for saving me a gazillion times! I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but I use wonton wrappers for chips a lot now. I bake them in mini muffin pans so they end up like tortilla scoops and then fill with homemade salsa-delish!
  • heatherldietrich
    Options
    I had a packet of Walkers Deep Ridged crisps, which are thick and crinkle cut in appearance. I was shocked to find out these contain 256 calories!!!!! I have no plans to have a packet again. What food product due to the calorie content has caused your jaw to drop and your eyes to widen?

Starbucks' Ginger Molasses Cookies - they are 390 calories each (in Canada). Sure they're a large cookie, but seriously.