Shocked by the calorie content

Options
I had a packet of Walkers Deep Ridged crisps, which are thick and crinkle cut in appearance. I was shocked to find out these contain 256 calories!!!!! I have no plans to have a packet again. What food product due to the calorie content has caused your jaw to drop and your eyes to widen?

Replies

• ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Orange Juice. Like liquid candy. Haven't drank it in a year...
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Donuts. They get me every time. I don't eat them often, but when I do I always regret is simply because they take so many calories out of my day.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Kettle corn, and I don't know why since I made it myself and know what I put in it. Denial is a wonderful thing, because it was GOOD. :wink:
  • treineck
    treineck Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oriental Chicken salad from Applebee's - Grilled Chicken. According to the website half of the salad is something like 690 calories!!! I almost fell off my chair when I logged that in!
  • Shaken1976
    Shaken1976 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wolf Brand Chili.... 400 calories a serving...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm focused more on my macros and actually seek out high calorie foods that are healthy. When I check my calories for the day, I almost always have to have a night time snack to get in enough. I can, however, be shocked by sugar, artificial sweeteners, refined carbs, and unhealthy ingredients that are put in "food".

I don't even know what Walkers Deep Ridged crisps are... so what do I know?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Oriental Chicken salad from Applebee's - Grilled Chicken. According to the website half of the salad is something like 690 calories!!! I almost fell off my chair when I logged that in!

I worked there when I was in college. I ate that salad all the time (which I thought was healthy) and ran around waitressing and couldn't understand why I was still fat. That's why! Gross!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Rum Runners.
  • treineck
    treineck Posts: 103 Member
    Options

I worked there when I was in college. I ate that salad all the time (which I thought was healthy) and ran around waitressing and couldn't understand why I was still fat. That's why! Gross!

I almost feel like Applebee's should put that as a disclaimer...like: Oriental Chicken Salad Only 1,380 calories! WTH lol! I thought I was doing good by only eating half of the salad at the restaurant and then I ate the other half later that night :grumble:
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Muffins!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Tortillas!! A large tortilla has about 200 calories! Served my hubby 3 fajita/taco type thingys... 600 cals in JUST the tortillas! Never mind the meat, cheese, sour cream, etc.. Probably a 1000 calorie dinner!

Now I've switched to smaller, wheat tortillas from Trader Joes, only 80cals each. After all- the tortilla doesn't really have much taste - it's just the vehicle to get all the goodies into your mouth! ha ha!
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Muffins!

Ditto...they've slowly gotten enormous and it doesn't take a whole lot of looking to find a 700 (or more!) calorie muffin.

And Pop-Tarts. Just ONE is 220 cals (and who doesn't eat both in the wrapper?)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    A veggie sub from Quiznos has more calories than a Big Mac

Pretty much every cocktail
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wolf Brand Chili.... 400 calories a serving...

And aren't there two servings to a can? It's like a can of chili-flavored grease...
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My OH likes ready made chicken pasta salads... Until I showed him the calorie content, they have around 1000 cals, for a lunch!

I would NEVER give up crisps, I just have to cut down and I do try to eat the 'corn snacks' like wotsits, space invaders, quavers etc instead which are more like 100 cals a bag.
  • viclaw81
    Options
    When I first started using mfp I took my daughter to marks and Spencer's cafe for a slice of carrot cake.........854 calories per slice!!!

I thought that must be wrong so I went onto the M&S website and looked on a couple of other sites and yep, it was true. I'd had over half my daily allowance with a cup of frickin coffee! It was delicious but so not worth it!
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden salad and breadsticks. You can do more hurt with those than you can with the meal.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    Options
    Muffins!

Ditto...they've slowly gotten enormous and it doesn't take a whole lot of looking to find a 700 (or more!) calorie muffin.

And Pop-Tarts. Just ONE is 220 cals (and who doesn't eat both in the wrapper?)

MMMMMMMM.....Pop Tarts!!!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake at my local coffee shop... Id have a slice every time I went in and recently found out that EACH SLICE is 1500cals!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Peanuts

Peanut butter

Most spreads

Popcorn