Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I made whole wheat waffles this morning with healthy ingredients (almond milk, splenda instead of sugar) but it was still 543 calories for 1 waffle without syrup! I almost died when I added up the calories!!!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Bananas, I can have something far more tasty for the calories.

I know I shouldn't, but I avoid fruit because of the amount of calories.

Also...SUGAR! I've been amazed at how much sugar fruit and milk contains. It's ridiculous!!! 200ml of skimmed milk is half my daily sugar allowance.

But that's actually good sugars. You definitely shouldn't stop yourself from eating fruits.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Ketchup. 20 calories per tablespoon.

I used to be a biiiiiiig ketchupaholic. I could easily consume 200+ in a condiment along with one meal.

Now I get the reduced sugar version. Only 5 calories. Tastes no different to me. :)
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    <Definitely staggered by what is considered a portion. I would easily think nothing of having what I now know is 4 portions of cereal for breakfast. Even the so called healthy cereals like Special K are calorie laden.>

This is why I ended up with a food scale. As my weight has dropped so has the calories I need but it is getting to the point where I need to fight for them and you need to believe what is printed on a packet.

I have a half cup of oatmeal every morning. I know it's a half cup because I measure it properly with my trusty measuring cup. However, the package says a third cup is 30g so my half cup should be 45g. Mine weighed 52g. That's a fifteen percent error in the scales favour.

For fun I checked a Rice Krispie Square package that my girls were going to have for lunch. Package says 60 grams but it weighed in at 73 grams.

A loaf bread gives calories for two slices at 70 grams as 130 calories. However, two slices of said bread weighed 88 grams.

I've learned that I have to weigh everything now and that weight trumps volume!
  • Flamingalah
    Options
    Oh , those bloody cookies at subway! I go into subway "to be good" then the next thing I know Ive bought 2 or 3 of those cookies, and at around 200cals each, its more calories then my measly salad sub!
  • stephaniec78
    stephaniec78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bananas, I can have something far more tasty for the calories.

I know I shouldn't, but I avoid fruit because of the amount of calories.

Also...SUGAR! I've been amazed at how much sugar fruit and milk contains. It's ridiculous!!! 200ml of skimmed milk is half my daily sugar allowance.

Just make sure you are getting the nutrients you need. A lot of good vitamins and minerals come from fruit. As long as you watch your portion fruit is not that bad and you do need some sugar in your diet and fruit sugars are better than processed sugar. As far as milk goes, I really need the calcium so I switched to Almond milk to avoid the cholesterol and sugar in regular milk.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Madeline's cookies 1 cookie = Calories: 130, Fat: 7g, Carbs: 14g, Protein: 1g
    Golden Butter Madeleines are baked into a delicate seashell shape and have a tender moist flavor. YUM!!
  • DayoUDaShit
    DayoUDaShit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti :( the brand i had was like 2,000 calories for two cups- which i ate. I was shocked since i thought it was lower. Never ate spaghetti again since then, made me too angry lol
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    ONE piece of carrot cake from Aladdin's or Cheesecake Factory: 1510 calories.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Mayo!! 100 calories by tablespoon.

And BUTTER! or oil.
  • crazyivan19
    crazyivan19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    First day of my weight loss, I was still very green to this whole calorie counting thing. I wanted to start things off right, so I made 2 scrambled eggs, one piece of wheat bread toast, and washed it down with a big glass of orange juice. Color me surprised when my breakfast ended up at 600+ calories!

Granted, it actually was pretty healthy and contained a lot of good nutrients, but it blew my mind that something I thought was super healthy took up almost half my daily calories in one meal.

Also, I love the tips that have popped up now and again in this thread (like substituting sour cream with nonfat greek yogurt). Anyone else find substitutes for the things that had much higher calories than they expected? I would love to make a list.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

This is why I ended up with a food scale. As my weight has dropped so has the calories I need but it is getting to the point where I need to fight for them and you need to believe what is printed on a packet.

Lalalala - I can't hear you! Yes, I'm in denial.
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    Chicken wings and alcohol.

However, my shocking discovery of the day, is that carrots and pork have roughly the same amount of sodium!! What the heck?
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The other day I ordered a Turkey Sandwich from Subway....800 calories. MYGAWD.

Also. Chipotle. I may be lucky if I can manage leaving there under 1000 calories.
  • Becky99504
    Options
    Olive garden salad dressing, the sodium amount stunned me!
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    First day of my weight loss, I was still very green to this whole calorie counting thing. I wanted to start things off right, so I made 2 scrambled eggs, one piece of wheat bread toast, and washed it down with a big glass of orange juice. Color me surprised when my breakfast ended up at 600+ calories!

Granted, it actually was pretty healthy and contained a lot of good nutrients, but it blew my mind that something I thought was super healthy took up almost half my daily calories in one meal.

Also, I love the tips that have popped up now and again in this thread (like substituting sour cream with nonfat greek yogurt). Anyone else find substitutes for the things that had much higher calories than they expected? I would love to make a list.

Thats the juice and toast talking! Last week I made a 3 egg scramble with tons of veggies, cheese, and pork sausage, and it clocked under 600!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    My last vegetarian burrito at Chipotle's was 900+ calories. HUH???
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Cereal
    Cheese
    Juice
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    A chocolate chip cookie from Panera Bread. Okay it is big but 440 calories for a cookie? Almost the same calories as the chopped chicken avocado salad I had for lunch.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Picked up a food scale last week... Made a sammie this morning for work. Thought I would add a small amount of peanut butter as I was going to weigh it - over two hundred calories in peanut butter! 90 calories a tablespoon? Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

SERIOUSLY!!! I can't stop eating nuts & cheese. I must be a mouse, because I can't live without them.