Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    chicken wings...i guess i was naive and didn't realize they were deep fried. used to eat 10 or so for dinner, till i saw one has about 100 calories (or more).
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    You NEED to get the book....Eat This Not That....OMG...talk about an eye opener!!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden salad and breadsticks. You can do more hurt with those than you can with the meal.
    ^^^THIS
  • annacarmel83
    Options
    WINE

But much better than beer!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    A veggie sub from Quiznos has more calories than a Big Mac

Pretty much every cocktail

same here for both!
  • joshzaite
    Options
    Red Meats....

It goes to show really that even a home-cooked meal can be pretty bad for you.

High cals =/= "bad for you"

Exactly. Sounds like that meal was awesome. If you cant work in a thousand calories in a meal then work on your portion control!

One thing that personally surprised me 2 years ago when I started this - and thinking back I dont know why it was surprising, duh - was the fact that I was consuming my entire days calories or more when I went to Olive Garden (which happened too regularly!). Salad, Bread Sticks, Dipping Sauce, Meal and non-diet drinks. Well over 3000 calories.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Both nuts and granola shocked me.... Jordans super nutty granola, then, was a true awakening!
  • flutist44
    Options
    My school has these tiny little Crust-less pb&j sandwiches... On wheat bread, but 300 calories for something that is no bigger than the palm of my hand!!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Mr Kipling Mince Pies - I love mince pies but at 256 cals I will not be indulging (well maybe 1 on Christmas Day)
  • wonderish
    wonderish Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Those eggs that come out during Easter, rolo, milk cocolate etc.... One little egg was more calories than a regular chocolate bar!!

ETA

And A & W Mozza burger with Rings!! 1000+!!
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Raisins.
    Thought process: "They're like elderly grapes, how many calories can they be?"
    Nearly 500 calories a cup.
  • TBoom915
    TBoom915 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Muffins!

Ditto...they've slowly gotten enormous and it doesn't take a whole lot of looking to find a 700 (or more!) calorie muffin.

And Pop-Tarts. Just ONE is 220 cals (and who doesn't eat both in the wrapper?)

Right, why do they do that to us. If one serving is one pop tart then wrap them individually...hmmph
    MMMMMMMM.....Pop Tarts!!!
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sushi! I had no idea! Over 300 per roll and I used to easily polish off 3 plus tempura and a beer then pat myself on the back for not eating fast food.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Muffins!

Ditto...they've slowly gotten enormous and it doesn't take a whole lot of looking to find a 700 (or more!) calorie muffin.

And Pop-Tarts. Just ONE is 220 cals (and who doesn't eat both in the wrapper?)

i have a pack of poptarts at my desk i keep staring at and have resisted for this reason. :sad:
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Granola...

Definitely. Also, pasta. I had no idea what a single serving was and realized I was eating around 800 calories worth for dinner, not including the chicken, sauce and other stuff I threw in there too! I'll still have a bit here and there, but I make sure everything's measured out and within my range.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Mayo!! 100 calories by tablespoon.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bananas, I can have something far more tasty for the calories.

I know I shouldn't, but I avoid fruit because of the amount of calories.
    Can I ask what you eat instead of fruit?
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Good switch over... corn tortillas are also a decent choice about 55 calories each... Try nonfat greek yogurt instead of sour cream... A cup is about the same as two tablespoons of sour cream...
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread....everything for me once i started paying attention to calories and serving sizes. i still enjoy most things, i just try to plan for it or limit the amount. i can look back on days when i would get a grande white chocolate mocha and a blueberry muffin from starbucks, thats seriously the amount i eat in almost an entire day now. i do still treat myself though to a tall nonfat no whip wcm from time to time:)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Chicken Wings , use to go to Buffalo Wild WIngs and destroy an order of 40 by myself during a game on Sunday. (can you say fat *kitten* :p )

And most liquid drinks, I stopped drinking soda years ago and switched to none carbonated drinks. Recently I looked at Pink lemonade which I use to drink like 3-5 20oz glasses with most restaurant meals (oh I was getting my 2-3 dollars worth, little did I know), Pink lemonade is 275 calories for a 20oz cup from the restaurant.

Happy Surprise, is low fat yogurt being only 100 calories or so for a full cup.