Has anyone successfully given up coffee?

Options

Replies

• AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Mine wasn't coffee but Coke. I would start at 4:30 a.m. and would drink 4-5 44 oz drinks a day. When I finally gave it up it was so hard. The first day I had such a headache that I couldn't stand it. I bought a box of caffeine pills. The first few day's I took 2. Then for the next few days, I cut it down by a half. I did that every few days and within a couple of weeks I was off. This may not work for other people but that's how I had to do it. I'm a self proclaimed wimp and can't stand pain :smile: A really good multi vitamin will give you the energy you need. Good luck.
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    Only thing I reduced is cream and sugar. I used to just drink it straight instant or straight black. But I like to live a little and actually enjoy the taste and throw in some creamer and sugar. Makes me feel special.
  • lemmyhead
    lemmyhead Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For some ridiculous reason I just tormented myself by reading every single post here, and drooling at every one of them!
    Luckily my partner just finished the last of the coffee in the house before I read them... otherwise I would have definitely stolen it from him!

I agree with many people commenting that coffee has many health benefits, and I just love the taste of a strong black coffee *drooling again*, so I hope to bring it back into my diet, once I eliminate it from being a possible cause of pain!

Good luck with your giving up caffeine...I think we all might have just made it a bit harder for you with all these posts about the deliciousness!
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My life depends on coffee for over 20 years. :bigsmile: When I put a lot of weight on I start taking High Blood Pressure pills and one day I wake up and I didn't have any coffee cravings, so I stop drinking it. Luckily I didn’t have any coffee withdrawals like headache, mood swings etc... I used to drink several coffees a day.

Now I drink coffee socially.:bigsmile:
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hell, no!!

Nor would I want to. I drink mine black, couple of sweeteners and it's the one constant in my life!
  • Mrsdls85
    Options
    I have given up coffee for good. Its been a good 2 Years since my lost drop. But starting today I will give drinking cokes. SO GOOD LUCK to me. Water will become my new best friend. LOL!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    BLASPHEMER!!!!

give up coffee? I think thats sacrilegious.....

.....it may even be illegal!

Im reporting all of you to Admin for talking such foolishness:drinker:
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Given up coffee......

that is funny.....
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    When I worked 3rd shift regularly, I'd bring 2 thermos' full of coffee. The only reason I stopped drinking it was because my teeth were staining. So I stopped drinking it. I was worried about it at first; I used it to keep me awake at work. So I'd carry a 5 hour with me "just in case" and brougt tea with. That helped and I noticed I was able to start sleeping better during the day, which, go figure, made me more awake for work that night. Same with the tea, I noticed my teeth were staining, so I brought 2 water bottles with me instead. Now I can work overnight without caffeine at all, and I very rarely drink coffee altogether. Good luck! :)
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Made it two days. Cranky, exhausted, massive headaches. Never again :drinker:

Everybody needs a vice. Mine is a Greek Breakfast (see diary for recipe, added food for the convenience of others).
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Made it two days. Cranky, exhausted, massive headaches. Never again :drinker:

Everybody needs a vice. Mine is a Greek Breakfast (see diary for recipe, added food for the convenience of others).

Ha ha ha!

My kind of girl!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have no interest in giving it up! I think the only reason to give it up would be if you have loads of sugar in in. I stopped having sugar in coffee in 2007, so I don't see the problem.

I switched to decaff when I was pregnant with my first, but I have to admit to drinking normal coffee when I was pregnant with my 2nd. I also switched to decaff tea and weirdly enough I still buy decaff tea!
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I would like to try weaning myself off coffee but I'm worried that I will be really tired and eat more in attempt to energize myself.
    Can anyone recommend some survival strategies?

Only when I'm cycling off stimulants or on supplements with a decent caffeine content in them already.

Getting up and moving around, tea, conversation (if your extroverted), music, exercise, you'll get used to it pretty quickly.
    Why cut it out anyway? There's a lot of health benefits to coffee.
  • genefabes
    genefabes Posts: 132
    Options
    I give up enough things in life. coffee will never be one of them.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with coffee . I stopped aphaveing it for a month an released if I didn't have sugar it would be fine but if its bad I can easily stop haha Ill have to take some pro plus tho x
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to! lol
  • presscilla
    presscilla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Coffee has always been one of my favorites! Now I use it as a treat (snickers mocha). On special occassions with my besty at the coffee shop. When I decided to give up coffee I rmoved it from the house. The cravings were easier to coast through and eventually went away all together.
    It's been about six months since I had coffee. But, I do agree with many of the members.cut down your intake gradually. The effect won't be so dramatic on you mentally, emotionally or physically.
  • DrJeep
    DrJeep Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not given up on coffee completely. Though being an office monkey with a habitat (desk) about 5 meters from the coffee machine I used to consume 8-10 cups of cappucino a day.

I quit the cappucino, drink my coffee blacker than the blackest black, times infinity now. And reduced it to the occasional 1 cup a day. (3-4 a week on average) and replaced the rest with water.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i have tried but the headaches were keeping me awake at night so i thought F*** it going to get a coffee :l
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I give up enough things in life. coffee will never be one of them.

^^^This^^^

I get two cups of wonderful coffee with my favorite creamer (all natural, no crap) for 70 calories. Unless I had a medical issue that I needed to give it up for, it's staying!!!