Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love girls with a southern accent
  • kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am from Texas, born and raised so yes, I have a thick southern accent. I now live in Maryland and work at a hospital so people are always "guessing" where I am from.... lol they usually say "georgia" haha, but it's generally when I start talking fast, the accent really comes out.

My husband however has a sexy caribbean accent... drives me crazy (in a good way!!) :blushing:
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I left Alabama and moved to Missouri, I was always told - love that southern accent. After I'd been in Missouri for about 20 years, and had lost the accent, I gave a presentation at work. My supervisor looked at me when I went back to my seat, and said - I didnt know you had an accent so southern, I never heard it before. I was a little taken back by that comment.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dude, so my opinion may not hold water, but I honestly think it depends on the area of the country you're from. Southern Belle and Southern Gentleman accents are nice, but in other ares the more "country" your accent sounds the more it sticks out. And from there, its dependent on the person. Some people love'em and to others it's like nails grinding on your brains chalkboard.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of smart women at Vanderbilt University, Rice University, Emory University, and Duke University, to give just a few examples, and many of them have southern accents.

Anyone who would judge someone's intelligence on her regional accent is an unintelligent buffoon.
  • hunter1025
    hunter1025 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think southern accents are sexy.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    Had one guy tripping over himself to help me because of my southern accent, he kept saying that he liked how I say Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR testing) forensic investigation and conspiring.
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have done research on English language, accents, pidgin languages and it is, in a sense, a part of the American consciousness to associate Southern with "uneducated." There is an amazing film I recommend (you can find parts of it on youtube) called American Tongues that illustrate how language can color people's perspectives on how people are or how they act. It is incredibly offensive, but very interesting to see how people can judge and stigmatize individuals based on their accent- and the one that probably attacked the most is quite possibly the Southern accent.

Intelligence is NOT tied to accent, the same way that it is NOT tied to language or culture. Language or regional accents have NOTHING to do with a person, their morals, values or how cool a person is!
  • rrrufty
    Options
    So, out of nowhere I get told that I sound uneducated and stupid just by the tone of my voice and incredibly thick southern accent. This rude comment was interrupted by a guy who said he thought accents were incredibly sweet and sexy. Then this turned into a debate of about 30 men all with very different opinions. So I have to hear it from my MFP people since you all seem to be brutally honest.... Yes or no to a girl with a southern accent. And you have to tell me why. I am beyond curious!

The **accent** itself can be very sexy, as long as the speaker is articulate and uses proper English. Even using southern slang/vernacular can be quite charming if done without laziness. I've even heard some slow Texas drawls that sounded nice, because the speakers had extensive vocabularies and a very strong command of their lexicons in spite of their distinctive speaking style.

Unfortunately, a lot of southern people attempt to pass off their poor language skills (which absolutely DOES sound uneducated and stupid) as "southern accents", which is a shame, because it tends to make non-southern people associate true, charming southern accents with a bad image of lazy, uneducated speakers. Same thing happens when fat women inaccurately use the word "curvy" to describe their bodytypes. Its just a very misleading type of conflation that ruins the fun for anyone who hasn't experienced the true meaning of the word.

I imagine that the guy who told you that you sound bad is just a victim of this kind of conflation, which is unfortunate for him. He's missing out :)
  • oliv2065
    oliv2065 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just for those keeping up with statistics 11 out of 14 guys so far like them... 3 didn't state one way or the other, but instead discussed the intelect of the person talking. so that is roughly 79% for, 21% indifferent, and 0% against. Side note: this is accurate up to JamProphet's post. If anyone has commented since their post has not be fingured in....
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I have done research on English language, accents, pidgin languages and it is, in a sense, a part of the American consciousness to associate Southern with "uneducated." There is an amazing film I recommend (you can find parts of it on youtube) called American Tongues that illustrate how language can color people's perspectives on how people are or how they act. It is incredibly offensive, but very interesting to see how people can judge and stigmatize individuals based on their accent- and the one that probably attacked the most is quite possibly the Southern accent.

Intelligence is NOT tied to accent, the same way that it is NOT tied to language or culture. Language or regional accents have NOTHING to do with a person, their morals, values or how cool a person is!

Thank you!

Most people have preconceptions about a person just by hearing their voice/accent.

I'm a southern girl and therefore have been exposed to these negative and positive preconceptions.

While sometimes seen as dumb or uneducated, in my experience, the southern accent is also associated with hospitality, friendliness etc....
    I only hope that anyone who comes in my path would take the time to listen to my words and not my accent before judging me.

The fact is there's absolutely nothing I can do about my heritage and where I was raised. It's who I am.
    To anyone that has a problem with that, I say, "Bless your heart". :flowerforyou:
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Despite living in SoCal for 13 years, I have retained most of my English Accent. I absolutely adore soft southern accents....

One of my staff comes from Alabama and I love talking to her........
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I always try to hide mine.. but when Im excited about something or drinking it comes out..lol I live in Ohio and people here are like where the hell did that come from???lol Maybe I shouldnt hide it?? lol
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Well said :)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I LOVE accents. I think they make people so much more interesting. But I can't stand when people 'redneck it up' & don't even bother to try to speak proper English, THAT is what makes people sound uneducated, not accents.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    When I left Alabama and moved to Missouri, I was always told - love that southern accent. After I'd been in Missouri for about 20 years, and had lost the accent, I gave a presentation at work. My supervisor looked at me when I went back to my seat, and said - I didnt know you had an accent so southern, I never heard it before. I was a little taken back by that comment.

Bonnie

You might think you have lost your accent but people around will pick up on phrases or words you use, with the presentation you may have pulled inside yourself further than normal and part of the accent came out more. :smile:

I find an honest Southern accent sexy ,

Andy
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm a girl but I love men with Southern accents. It makes me feel calm everything they say sounds more gentle then guys from out here! I get that I sound like "white trash" because of my Boston accent, it's wicked stupid, people shouldn't judge you by your accent! They're the stupid ones for saying that haha.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    omg... are your serious...ever hear women from Mississippi speak...bar none have the sexiest voices ever
  • kmarie0614
    kmarie0614 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is a fake southern accent.... I HATE IT
  • kmarie0614
    kmarie0614 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart, darlin'.....and to all y'all sassy southern ladies, be proud of that southen drawl :-)

AWWW cutest comment ever!