Seeing a lot of rude comments about 1200/cal....

Options

Replies

• kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    MFP is full of rude comments about errrything....

I calculated my BMR, and TDEE, and all of that alphabetical nonsense, and decided that 1200 calories would be my base. MFP came up with the same number. But--I eat back as many of my exercise calories as possible. Effing up your metabolism is REAL.

1200 calories is not low if you are 170 pounds, trying to lose 25 at a rate of 1.5# per week, and SEDENTARY. So I eat 1200 calories on my rest day, and more on the days I work out. To lose weight.

In order to sit on my tail and still maintain my weight, I would eat 1900 calories.

But don't get stuck on a number---you need to fuel your body properly for whatever adventure you are embarking on each day.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1230, and I am the same way, some days I push myself to make my goal. I don't think it is a bad thing, everybody is different. As long as you're not too drained during the day you should be fine! Eat when you're hungry!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The internet is full of rude comments about errrything....

There, fixed that for you.
  • MrsElyshaGunn
    Options
    1200 calories is the lowest you are suppose to go - but honestly, sometimes I feel full - if you get enough protein in, and you are smaller anyways, 1200 is enough food. Some people are judgemental about other peoples body and food. Just do what's right for you, and don't go below, and you will be eating healthy, and getting the results you want. :)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you, don't waste your time with the "haters". I've noticed lots of women say that MFP figures they should eat 1200 cals a day...hmmm...sounds like its more than a coincidence.

its because mfp will not reccomend calorie intake lower than 1200. i put into my profile that i want to lose 2 pounds per week, however, even at 1200 cals a day, my weekly loss is only 1.7 according to my profile settings. so, thats why there are alot of 1200 cals a day, because, thats the bottom line number. i dont see anything wrong with 1200 a day. my dr is pleased with my daily intake and my progress so far. women should not go under 1200 and men should not go under 1500, other than that, to each thier own. i notice alot of people on here have the, "if its not my way, its wrong" mentality. just ignore that, because when it comes down to it, its your body, your weight loss, and you have to do whats best for you. good luck to the op, and GOD bless!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You shoud talk to your doctors, since doctors know a buttload about nutrition.
  • tamerita48
    tamerita48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You shoud talk to your doctors, since doctors know a buttload about nutrition.

That's funny.
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    I think you're a big girl now who can make her own decision about what works best for herself. If your doctor is pleased and you're eating a diet that's high in nutrition, the others can go bite themselves. I eat a 1200 diet and it's the only way I've been able to lose and I don't go hungry. What you eat at times is more important than quantity. And from one SoCal girl (Riverside) to another, you look fabulous so forget the 'jealous' er i meant haters.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you, don't waste your time with the "haters". I've noticed lots of women say that MFP figures they should eat 1200 cals a day...hmmm...sounds like its more than a coincidence.

its because mfp will not reccomend calorie intake lower than 1200. i put into my profile that i want to lose 2 pounds per week, however, even at 1200 cals a day, my weekly loss is only 1.7 according to my profile settings. so, thats why there are alot of 1200 cals a day, because, thats the bottom line number. i dont see anything wrong with 1200 a day. my dr is pleased with my daily intake and my progress so far. women should not go under 1200 and men should not go under 1500, other than that, to each thier own. i notice alot of people on here have the, "if its not my way, its wrong" mentality. just ignore that, because when it comes down to it, its your body, your weight loss, and you have to do whats best for you. good luck to the op, and GOD bless!
    Usually if you aren't losing weight on a 1200 Calorie diet then there is another medical issue going on. I just added Iodine (T4s to low) to aid my sluggish thyroid and have dropped 2 pounds this week. Do as your doctor recommends.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    there are a lot of books out now about nutrition. go to the library and read! My friend is a doctor and he's surprised that many doctors don't know about real nutrition unless they are pediatrics! Arm yourself with knowledge! Read!!!! make an informed decision!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    i wish I hadn't wasted the past 5 minutes of my life reading this thread...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    i wish I hadn't wasted the past 5 minutes of my life reading this thread...

And because of this post, now I don't have to! Thanks!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    I think you're a big girl now who can make her own decision about what works best for herself. If your doctor is pleased and you're eating a diet that's high in nutrition, the others can go bite themselves. I eat a 1200 diet and it's the only way I've been able to lose and I don't go hungry. What you eat at times is more important than quantity. And from one SoCal girl (Riverside) to another, you look fabulous so forget the 'jealous' er i meant haters.

lol, oh, this isnt my thread, i was just responding to the original poster :)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    i hate replying to a thread only to find out that my comment is now the start of a continuance of the thread... then people think this is my thread. lol, this isnt my thread, so, if you want to see the original post for this thread, up on the top, click on the link that says continued blah blah blah... :) believe me, i have no questions about nutrition for anyone on this message board, that is between me and my md!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    1200 is not the magic number for everyone. Neither is 1400, 1800, 2000, 2500, etc.

We all need to find the number that is right for us. But don't bash someone else who has a different number than yours.

BMR calculators vary greatly. They range from 1300-1600 for me. There are many factors that affect your BMR. Actual experience is the only way to tell for sure what your maintenance level is, short of going to a doctor who specializes in this and having testing done.

In my own experience over the past few years, I maintain around 1600-1700 cals per day. Eating between 1200-1300 gives me a 300-500 per day deficit. This is NOT starvation mode. Since I still have 45 or more lbs to lose, I can certainly eat at this deficit or even a bit higher, and do it safely.

What pisses me off, and others as well, is when people make blanket statements of FACT that 1000-1200 is unhealthy for EVERYONE, and make rude, insulting comments to anyone who dares to admit that they are eating at that level. Trust me, there are MANY other people who have lost and maintained a lot of weight, eating at a higher calorie deficit. You will find them on the success stories forum.
    Others have lost eating at a lower deficit as well. The choice is yours. No matter how quickly you lose the weight, you will still have to make permanent diet and exercise changes or you WILL regain your weight.

No, you do not have to starve yourself to lose weight. You do however have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. Figure out the best number for you, stick to it, and try to ignore the self-professed experts who claim to know exactly how your body works, and insist your body burns the same amount of calories that theirs does.

When I was 30, lifting heavy 3 days a week, and working full time as a baggage handler, I could eat anything I want and stay at a healthy weight. At 49, stay at home, and partially disabled, I cant eat 2000 or more calories a day. Proven by the fact that I gained 50 pounds in the 5 yrs following my disability that put me in a wheelchair for a few years.

Common sense and an open mind go a long way on here. A little mutual respect would be nice as well.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    1200 is not the magic number for everyone. Neither is 1400, 1800, 2000, 2500, etc.

We all need to find the number that is right for us. But don't bash someone else who has a different number than yours.

BMR calculators vary greatly. They range from 1300-1600 for me. There are many factors that affect your BMR. Actual experience is the only way to tell for sure what your maintenance level is, short of going to a doctor who specializes in this and having testing done.

In my own experience over the past few years, I maintain around 1600-1700 cals per day. Eating between 1200-1300 gives me a 300-500 per day deficit. This is NOT starvation mode. Since I still have 45 or more lbs to lose, I can certainly eat at this deficit or even a bit higher, and do it safely.

What pisses me off, and others as well, is when people make blanket statements of FACT that 1000-1200 is unhealthy for EVERYONE, and make rude, insulting comments to anyone who dares to admit that they are eating at that level. Trust me, there are MANY other people who have lost and maintained a lot of weight, eating at a higher calorie deficit. You will find them on the success stories forum.
    Others have lost eating at a lower deficit as well. The choice is yours. No matter how quickly you lose the weight, you will still have to make permanent diet and exercise changes or you WILL regain your weight.

No, you do not have to starve yourself to lose weight. You do however have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. Figure out the best number for you, stick to it, and try to ignore the self-professed experts who claim to know exactly how your body works, and insist your body burns the same amount of calories that theirs does.

When I was 30, lifting heavy 3 days a week, and working full time as a baggage handler, I could eat anything I want and stay at a healthy weight. At 49, stay at home, and partially disabled, I cant eat 2000 or more calories a day. Proven by the fact that I gained 50 pounds in the 5 yrs following my disability that put me in a wheelchair for a few years.

Common sense and an open mind go a long way on here. A little mutual respect would be nice as well.

i fully agree! i eat an average of 1250 cals per day, and im very happy with that! i know alot of people have negative things to say about it, but it doesnt bother me in the least. they are not living in my body, so, i am the only one that counts. i have actually played around with my calories, adjusting about 50 at a time, and i actually found 1250 to be a great pace for me. ive learned how to cook extremely healthy meals, low in cals, high in nutrients, and because of this, i actually come up under my goal on some days, and get the treat of throwing in some chocolate in the evening. at 1400 cals a day, i was losing 1 pound a month, and im not pleased with that pace, so adjusted and found 1250 to be perfect, FOR ME!
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
  • Farah_akbar
    Farah_akbar Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options

i fully agree! i eat an average of 1250 cals per day, and im very happy with that! i know alot of people have negative things to say about it, but it doesnt bother me in the least. they are not living in my body, so, i am the only one that counts. i have actually played around with my calories, adjusting about 50 at a time, and i actually found 1250 to be a great pace for me. ive learned how to cook extremely healthy meals, low in cals, high in nutrients, and because of this, i actually come up under my goal on some days, and get the treat of throwing in some chocolate in the evening. at 1400 cals a day, i was losing 1 pound a month, and im not pleased with that pace, so adjusted and found 1250 to be perfect, FOR ME!

WELL EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT I AM ON A 1200 CAL AND TO BE HONEST I AM DOING PRETTY WELL I JUST STARTED THIS PROGRAM 5 DAYS AGO AND I LOST 1KGS IN A WEEK AND FOR ME THAT'S ALOT EVEN IF I EAT MORE THAT'S EVEN GOOD FOR ME CAUSE I EARN MY CALS BACK BY BURNING OUT
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    WELL EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT I AM ON A 1200 CAL AND TO BE HONEST I AM DOING PRETTY WELL I JUST STARTED THIS PROGRAM 5 DAYS AGO AND I LOST 1KGS IN A WEEK AND FOR ME THAT'S ALOT EVEN IF I EAT MORE THAT'S EVEN GOOD FOR ME CAUSE I EARN MY CALS BACK BY BURNING OUT

THAT'S A GOOD POINT. A KILO IN A WEEK IS A TON. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND KEEP US POSTED!
  • Farah_akbar
    Farah_akbar Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    THAT'S A GOOD POINT. A KILO IN A WEEK IS A TON. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND KEEP US POSTED!
    [/quote]

@ EMANYALPSID I WILL SURELY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT ITS PPL LIKE YOU WHO GIVES ME HOPE TO DO MORE THEN I CAN AND THAT'S A VERY GOOD ENGAGEMENT IT PUTS A SMILE TO MY FACE AND SAY I CAN DO IT THANKS AND YOU ALSO KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :wink: