Seeing a lot of rude comments about 1200/cal....

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP makes its calculation on how much weight per week you say you want to lose.

Tell it you want to lose 2 pounds a week subtracts 1,000 cals a day from your numbers, but to a minimum of 1,200.

Tell it you want to lose 1 pound a week and it subtracts 500 cals a day from your numbers.

2 pounds a week is not reasonable or healthy for a lot of people.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    bump..........

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m sorry, I won’t reply again, but I had to laugh. I will not spoil your fun...:tongue:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Calories per Day Judgment Categories in Yoovie's Brain

500 - addicted to looking at other skinny *kitten* teens on tumblr and love being the weak girl that needs protection
    750 - addicted to looking at skinny *kitten* teens on tumblr and wish they were the weak girl that needs protection
    1000 - probably just realized they haven't been eating as much as they think and are transitioning to 1200 calories
    1200 - i dont want to exercise but i still want a gorgeous body that looks like i do but i dont have the energy anyway so whatever this is easier
    1400 - im being brave and eating more - its scary, but Im brave
    1600 - i just started lifting RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!
    1800 - i love bacon and coffee on PR days
    2000 - IM A MAN! ROAR!
    2400 - Beast.

:laugh: This is awesome! I'm at 1400, trying to be brave. Edging around the idea of bumping it up. This post made me bust out loud laughing!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

Step 1 - Check
    Step 2 - Check
    Step 3 - I skipped this one
    Step 4 - Check
    Step 5 - Check
    Step 6 - eh, maybe a little bit, but mostly screw other people.
    Step 7 - I'll probably avoid this one
    Step 8 - Probably on the horizon, since I have a short atten... Ooooh look, a bee!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    anything under 1200 cals a day is considered starvation mode. food for thought.

People who are never hungry rarely lose weight. Also food for thought.

<---- has never gone hungry while I've been here.

1200 calories is usually below BMR. It's not sustainable for a lot of people. I don't personally have a problem with people eating that amount, I just think that a lot of times people get into a cycle of eating less and less every time they stall.

Also for those who think it's a short person thing, there are many short ladies here who eat way more than 1200. Height doesn't matter nearly as much as weight and activity level. I'm 5'4", 130 lbs, and pretty sedentary and my TDEE is somewhere around 1700-1800.

ETA: grrrr zombie post
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    they can't conceive empty calories from healthy calories. I eat that amount also but really healthy food and am plenty filled up. keep in mind though the same people probably think nothing of eating 2 big macs. you do what is best for you don't worry about what others are thinking. I know a lot of ladies who do 1200 calories including me who started last January at 220 pounds and am down to 184 pounds.

Jillian Michael's who is a professional trainer suggests women eat between 1200-1400 calories. for women

for men between 1600-1800 calories.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

:-) Well done
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

Exactly...except 3 or 7. I'm much too sweet. :)
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    haters-gonna-hate.gif
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    anything under 1200 cals a day is considered starvation mode. food for thought.

Cite, please.
  • nutrition_nerd8
    Options
    not really. the body has limits of what it needs. the GENERAL rule is less than 1200 is bad. all depends on who you talk to. nutrition is a very general blanket topic because whats good for one isn't good for all thats why no one diet works for everyone
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Hi cj, looks like we joined in the same month. I've noticed the comments also and have wondered why ppl think that's too low a goal. Something they don't understand is when we're short (I'm 5'3") we naturally need less calories.

I am 5'4 and I eat between 1800 - 2100 calories a day. 1800 to lose weight and the higher ones to maintain.
  • DirtGlitters
    Options
    I'm new here- also on 1200, and finding it difficult to get up to that... also i'm 5' 2" so naturally i'd have to consume less to loose weight. Ignore, keep positive :)
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I cringe whenever I see people say "YOU NEED TO EAT MORE" because that advice is to generic and it causes some people to gain weight if they aren't taking in the right kind of calories. The body of a woman who eats 1800 calories of donuts and does not exercise is going to look drastically different from a woman who eat 1800 calories or chicken, fish, and veggies and exercises 4-5 times a week.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    not really. the body has limits of what it needs. the GENERAL rule is less than 1200 is bad. all depends on who you talk to. nutrition is a very general blanket topic because whats good for one isn't good for all thats why no one diet works for everyone

This!!!!!
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I cringe whenever I see people say "YOU NEED TO EAT MORE" because that advice is to generic and it causes some people to gain weight if they aren't taking in the right kind of calories. The body of a woman who eats 1800 calories of donuts and does not exercise is going to look drastically different from a woman who eat 1800 calories or chicken, fish, and veggies and exercises 4-5 times a week.

Id say if you are going to eat processed junk food and not exercise...its probably better to stick with 1200 or less. :)
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    You're not allowed to be short, petite, or have a low-energy-expenditure here at MFP.

so either get tall enough to need more than 1200 cal

gain enough weight that you can lose some of it while eating above 1200 cal

or exercise 8 hours a day so that you need more than 1200 cal to support your energy output
    YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO BE SMALL

isn't that written in the website rules somewhere?
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    have not read other comments so forgive if this is already stated several times...

MFP calculates the 1200 of your activity level and goal. 1200 is the minimum any person should really consume to be eating a healthy amount of food for what your body burns in a day. You really should try to maintain at least that many calories, but they shouldn't be "empty" calories to help you reach them... Add fruits, cheeses, and nuts to help boost you cals. This works for me.

Incidentally, when you start getting along on your journey you may actually see you will need to increase your cals to lose more weight... this is not unusual and is what I and many others have had to do, even if only for a couple of days to a week, sometimes the body needs a shock out of the norm to react again. Totally normal.

"Starvation mode" is a myth, of sorts... as long as your body has EXCESS fat, you will not go into "starvation mode" and destroy your metabolism.. though you might feel like you are starving if you aren't eating enough of the right kinds of foods.

ASide from that, do what is working for you as long as you are being healthy about it. Remember, you could maintain 1200 calories a day eating oreos BUT you will only get to eat about 12 for the entire day. Yes you will lose weight but it is neither healthy nor sustainable. You are looking for healthy, sustainable life changes to make sure what you accomplish is able to be maintained.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

^^This, luckily I'm only at stage 6 but it won't be long...
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the tickers....the majority of the people truly hating on the 1200 calorie people either don't have tickers or have lost less than 20 pounds. The majority of the people who say use 1200 as a guideline and adjust it from there are the ones who have lost truckloads of weight. Guess who I believe?

This is a pretty ridiculous statement. I don't have a ticker mainly because I don't want. Does that mean I didn't lose the weight I needed to?