Seeing a lot of rude comments about 1200/cal....

Options

Replies

• hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

Oops, haha TRUE! so so so true.
  • whiteflame337
    whiteflame337 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1200 is a lot of food, just focus on clean food. but if you go fast food, then one meal close to 1000 already
  • elle0567
    Options
    Ignore the comments CJ...this site is suppose to be here for positive reinforcement not negative!
    Good luck!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    anything under 1200 cals a day is considered starvation mode. food for thought.

People just love to throw around starvation mode without proper explanation. So I guess since I ate 1150 calories yesterday I must be in starvation mode .............................................................

When you close you diary --MFP will fuss at you that you are.
  • 2kwaldo
    2kwaldo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the amount of calories it takes your body every day just to stay alive. You'll notice it's probably more than 1200. Therefore, you should probably be eating more than 1200; your body needs it!

The body would need more than 1200 to "maintain" where it is at based on your height/weight etc. If you want to lose weight you need to eat less. It should be individually based given your metabolism and goals.

MFP also says I need to eat 1200 per day to lose. When you exercise it ups the amount of calories allowed a LOT in my opinion. I went for a pretty detailed fitness assessment with my doc. Bottom line is my maintenance calories would be around 1450 per day. To lose weight he recommends sticking between 1200-1300. When I exercise for an hour minimum, my intake can go up to 1600 but not more if I want to lose weight. MFP says I can eat far more on exercise days.

I haven't lost much of anything as I am eating around maintenance mode daily and when exercising. Eventually I will try harder to stick to less calories to lose the 10 lbs.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So I'm kinda new here. I made a profile, and filled out my information, and MFP came up with 1200/cal day as my goal. Now I had no idea if that what considered very low, or average, or whatever. But I have been trying to stick with it. And I'm actually finding that I need to make myself eat MORE that I want to just to get to 1200. And I have seen several nasty comments from people on here about "those 1200 calorie people". Why? I have lost 5 pounds so far and I feel really good about my progress. What am I missing? I feel like I'm missing the joke.

I felt the same way when I first started looking around. It's a legal number. It is allegedly the amount of calories every person needs to survive and not go into starvation mode regardless of their RMR. RMR is mainly driven by height, so taller people love it and shorter people hate it. Shorter people have a harder time being in a calorie deficit with 1200 calories and get frustrated when everyone tells them they need to eat more because most of the time it does not work. It has a better chance of working for taller people. Notice most of the discussion don't mention height. It's absurd to compare your calories with someone of a different height and gender. If this happens the best thing to do is see your doctor and do what you need to do and ignore all of the contradictory advice given around here.

The eat more bullies almost have it right because you do need to taper up your calories when you get leaner.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    People who are never hungry rarely lose weight. Also food for thought.
    Whaaaaat????? I lost 60lbs and were never hungry.....Sometimes craved something, but NEVER hungry....Please show me the research behind this brilliantlyignorant remark.?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    So I'm kinda new here. I made a profile, and filled out my information, and MFP came up with 1200/cal day as my goal. Now I had no idea if that what considered very low, or average, or whatever. But I have been trying to stick with it. And I'm actually finding that I need to make myself eat MORE that I want to just to get to 1200. And I have seen several nasty comments from people on here about "those 1200 calorie people". Why? I have lost 5 pounds so far and I feel really good about my progress. What am I missing? I feel like I'm missing the joke.

I felt the same way when I first started looking around. It's a legal number. It is allegedly the amount of calories every person needs to survive and not go into starvation mode regardless of their RMR. RMR is mainly driven by height, so taller people love it and shorter people hate it. Shorter people have a harder time being in a calorie deficit with 1200 calories and get frustrated when everyone tells them they need to eat more because most of the time it does not work. It has a better chance of working for taller people. Notice most of the discussion don't mention height. It's absurd to compare your calories with someone of a different height and gender. If this happens the best thing to do is see your doctor and do what you need to do and ignore all of the contradictory advice given around here.

The eat more bullies almost have it right because you do need to taper up your calories when you get leaner.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

Here we go again. can you please actually pretend to give personalized advice/information? You post the same thing EVERYWHERE and it's not even healthy OR accurate. Sheesh.
  • Kelene616
    Kelene616 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Before I started on MFP, I was generally a healthy eater, tho I still ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it. Now that I don't eat fast food, chips, white pasta/bread etc, and all the other crap, however, I'm still, after a year, amazed at how hard it is to take in 1200-1400 (for me) calories in a day. It takes some real planning when you're actively conscious of what you're putting into your body. Some days I reach 1130 calories and am so stuffed I can't eat more. That's one reason I'm thankful for all my flavored olive oils and balsamic vinegars I get at specialty olive oil stores. They add the calories I need plus good fat, and make all my proteins and salad dressing taste incredible!
    Just remember you're here for you, not anyone else. And if people are hating on you, you must be doing something right! Stick to what works for you and you'll be fine. Add me if you'd like a new friend. I'll even share some of my recipes with you that I've found make it a little easier to hit my goal without over-stuffing myself :-)
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Every time I have substituted MFP's judgement for my own, I've regretted it. It's ended in stalled weight loss (and illness, in the case of the carb police), and I'm just done with that. The right number of calories for me 1100-1500, averaging out to about 1250 each day. My doctor is fine with this.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    bump..........
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just read a few pages. I am curious what you all are eating to say you have a hard time reaching 1200 cal a day and are full. Or is thus 1200 net ( assuming a 600 cal burn + 600 food?) I have changed ny diet and after breakfast I'm already at 300-400! It only takes an egg, toast or healthy cereal to reach that. Even dry rice ( one serving) with plain chicken breast and steamed veggies puts you at another 400-500. Not much left fir the day. I know everyone is different but i' d be so hungry and *****y with just that.
  • readyAIMfire
    readyAIMfire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Amen! Haters going to hate, no matter what!
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

Pretty much this..

That's not quite fair - I'm short (5'2" on a good day) - and without excercise my base is 1200 calories, and I don't think that's unreasonable... and that's set at losing about 0.8 lbs per week. That being said, when I excersize, I eat most, if not all, my added calories. I like food alot... and happily eat what I want in moderation. I don't think 1200 is unreasonable if you're short. If I was 5'8" that'd be another story.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have seen several nasty comments from people on here about "those 1200 calorie people". Why? I have lost 5 pounds so far and I feel really good about my progress. What am I missing? I feel like I'm missing the joke.

here's an honest answer

people who only need, or are told they only need 1200 calories a day, aren't usually known as the people who are hell bent on getting stronger and obliterating obstacles both in life and the gym. they kind of represent the more passive side of things on MFP. Those who arent concerned with getting strong at all, just mostly focusing on dieting and being patient instead of beating PR's and such.

Most of the people into lifting and strength and personal badassedness refer to the passive, non-beast mode dieters as 'those 1200 calorie people'. Just like the dieters refer to the lifters as "stupid moronic mean meatheads obsessed with their own reflections"

Hope this helps!

:flowerforyou:
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

3.5 "Why am I not losing anymore" then
    4 Join the Eat more to weigh less croud

I personally am now between 6 and 7
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There is no exact formula for losing weight, everybody is different. I did everything at the university with a bunch of fantastic new tech toys that told me everything I needed to know h lose pounds. The told me if I cut back 500 cals a day I'd lose a pound a week and we set a number for me which just happens to be 1200 calories a day an I have pretty much done what they said I would. Everybody has their own opinion but quite honestly, weight loss is according to the individual.
  • sherrycampbell2
    sherrycampbell2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As long as those calories are balanced with adequate carbs, protein, and fats, there is nothing wrong with it. I typically eat 1200 - 1500 calories per day and it has helped me stay on track and I don't crave foods or overeat anymore. There is something positive to be said about a low calorie diet. Unfortunately as Americans we have a tendency to eat too many calories and think it's the norm. If it is working for you, keep it up...at least you're seeing results.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Calories per Day Judgment Categories in Yoovie's Brain

500 - addicted to looking at other skinny *kitten* teens on tumblr and love being the weak girl that needs protection
    750 - addicted to looking at skinny *kitten* teens on tumblr and wish they were the weak girl that needs protection
    1000 - probably just realized they haven't been eating as much as they think and are transitioning to 1200 calories
    1200 - i dont want to exercise but i still want a gorgeous body that looks like i do but i dont have the energy anyway so whatever this is easier
    1400 - im being brave and eating more - its scary, but Im brave
    1600 - i just started lifting RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!
    1800 - i love bacon and coffee on PR days
    2000 - IM A MAN! ROAR!
    2400 - Beast.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I dont know much about the different calorie intakes. I do know that if you are exercising and eating the exercise calo ries ( which is what your supposed to do) you are technically eating more than 1200 calories and I'm assuming (although may be wrong) that MFP starts with what your body needs just to function. If you sit all day and do nothing than 1200 is all you need but if you exercise you need more. Ignore the people who complain about your calorie intake thats for you to do decide how you want to live.