Things A Chivalrous Man Shouldn't Let a Woman Do

Options

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Gee, my husband did all these things until we bought a house and moved in together. He REALLY WAS Prince Charming.
    Ever since, it's my job to do all the dishes, all the laundry (he even complains about carrying HIS laundry basket to the basement & it will overflow until I ask him to carry it down - he won't empty it, though), I do all the dishes - won't even wash one thing even though I've finished them all & he decides to eat later, I gather 3 floors of garbage & take it out on garbage day, I do all the cooking and I even pack his lunches, and I do all the grocery shopping along with carrying all the bags in and unloading them. We both work full-time; I'm the one who does everything for the kids as well. He can remember to buy beer & drink 6 -7 days a week after work, & he remembers to buy tobacco, but I'm supposed to do EVERYTHING else. No exaggeration, either. Problem I have is that he is ungrateful and if I so much as don't have time to pack his lunch in a bag & just leave it on the shelf in the fridge, I get asked what the problem is! Thing is I ENJOY doing this stuff, but being unappreciated and not even getting an anniversary card for our sixth year back on 9/7, well, that changed me. Oh, by the way, I'm the one who makes all the car appointments & remembers the routine maintenance schedules as well. I handle all the bills & do our budget. Guess I shouldn't have married a guy who was 44 when we met & was only married 2 months back when he was 37. However, with all this being said, I do love him so I take it for what he is - lol (lazy sounds like a good word). I didn't sign up for the role of mother to a now 52 yr old! I thought older men were supposed to be better, not worse! Should have lived with him BEFORE we got married, I guess ;)

Holy *kitten*...are you SURE you aren't married to my ex? His mama did it all for him then, so I was expected to keep up the trend. Once we had kids, EVERYTHING became my responsibility.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i love you.
  • emilyerose
    Options
    LADIES.

First of all, Some of you are gritching that chivalrous guys don't let you exercise your free-thinking, independent, powerful, feminist side. But think about it. Are you telling guys that so YOU can feel independent, you're going to make HIM put-down his God-given instincts to help, protect, and serve you? For real. Be rational.

Second of all, even if you got money, looks, muscles and a brain, I'm not your girl unless you are a GENTLEMAN. And I think that guys like this are priceless, one-in-a-million guys that I would literally die for. If you got a guy like this, ladies, don't bash him. He'll stick with you for life.

Thirdly, I think you're mostly crazy if you associate your independence with a man's chivalrous actions.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm a strong, independent woman too. I've been a single parent on my own for years and I don't need a man to do anything for me. I've learned to be self-sufficient and do things for myself. That said, if I had another chivalrous man come into my life, I'd hang on to that man for dear life because there are so few of them around any more. Especially my age or older. My late boyfriend knew very well I could do things for myself but appreciated the fact that I let him be chivalrous. If I could find another "George", I'd be the happiest woman in the world.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Drive. Safer for everyone
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have to add two more
    Mow the lawn
    Carry out the garbage/take out cans.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Change the word LET to MAKE, and then we will talk. I am a self sufficient woman. I appreciate a man willing to do things for me but Let kinda irritates me. :)
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This stuff is all well and good but like others said, one can still be an asshat while abiding to the rules. And that's my problem with them- they're rules. They aren't personalized. Kind of like the "wait three days after a date to call" rule, or "don't have sex on the first date"... do you really want to treat this like a game with winners and losers? Where one wins points for arbitrary things and the goal is to manipulate the other person into this or that?

I do think it's cute when the bf walks on the road side of the sidewalk, but come on, I can open up my own car door and it makes a lot more sense than him running around the car to open it. Same with pulling out my chair.

There are things that are specific to our relationship that are chivalrous. For example, he doesn't drink my Rogue Dead Guy ale because he knows it's my favorite and it's hard to come by around here. Or he cleans up after I cook. Or he does the bulk of the cleaning because I don't like to but I do like to cook. These are little things that actually matter to me.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is certainly not dead.

I like to hold doors for a woman and all of the normal stuff. I know she's damn well capable of doing it herself, but why should she have to.
    Being caring doesn't mean they're fragile and frail, just means you give a crap.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    In almost 10 years together, I have never, ever opened or closed my own car door when I go somewhere with my husband. Now that's a gentleman right there. I love chivalry and wouldn't have married someone that wasn't skilled in it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    No guy can call himself a MAN if he lets his girl pay for a date EVER...

some women find this highly offensive and take this as a huge insult.

Don't date those women. simple.
  • trophywife24
    Options

Agreed, 150%.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Chivalry is not dead, at least I hope not. I continue to believe there are things a man should do for a woman. While I can think of many I'm only going to list 5 random in no particular order:

*Pump her gas/ keep car serviced
    *Walk on the outside on the street (keep her inside from street)
    *Open doors and always let her enter first (including opening/ closing car door)
    *Pick up tab for first date (can't stand a cheap ninja)
    *Fail to get off (no explanation needed. handle ya biz fellas or someone else will.)

I HIGHLY approve of this message and totally agree. No worries on all fronts over here!!! lol
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Stand when a woman enters a room.
    Hold the door if they are within 30 seconds of entering building

that made me lol!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

Agreed, 150%.

lol @ username and opinion.
  • trophywife24
    Options

Agreed, 150%.

yuh huh, while I am a bit of a prize, my user name is from this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usWYn42JQBI
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My b/f will close a door if I forget and open it myself. He walks on the outside of the walk to protect me. He always pays for everything. He takes care of me....and I let him. He says that's what a man does....its his job. :)
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I've actually had a guy carry me over a mud puddle. I was grateful as I would hate for him to put his jacket in it.
    My husband too is very considerate of all woman and I appreciate that. I like to be treated like a lady and in return give respect and curtousy. It does go both ways.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

Agreed, 150%.

yuh huh, while I am a bit of a prize, my user name is from this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usWYn42JQBI

Would you not ever want to take a dude out to somewhere as a surprise and foot the bill? Maybe a show or something? Never?
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Came back to this thread to check and see why we are still talking about this silly *kitten*. I see I've transported back to 1920.