Things A Chivalrous Man Shouldn't Let a Woman Do

Options

Replies

• RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Modern etiquette actually says that whomever reaches the door first opens it, there's really nothing wrong with a women hands that they can't open doors.

I guess the OP just shows there are different types of people. Some men and women, live by those rules. For me personally I'd get creeped out and very annoyed by not being allowed to be a full person.

*Pump her gas/ keep car serviced
    I have no idea why my husband would have to keep my car serviced or pump gas. What exactly about these things can I not do? I can keep a hairdressers appointment every so often, I can change a lightbulb, I'm sure I can find the garage.

*Walk on the outside on the street (keep her inside from street)
    I've never even heard of having to walk on the outside of the street. Wouldn't know why I would want anyone to do that for me?

*Open doors and always let her enter first (including opening/ closing car door)
    I can open doors for myself, I actually do this most of the day when you're not near me, I don't suddenly have a disability if you're near.

*Pick up tab for first date (can't stand a cheap ninja)
    I will pay half of our first dinner thank you very much. Lets not start out by either of us being in debt to the other.

*Fail to get off (no explanation needed. handle ya biz fellas)
    Well, actually that's a lot less important for women than man, shouldn't happen every time of course, but there's nothing wrong with it occasionally. Much better than the stress of always having to perform (or fake.... )

This!! I don't understand the walking on the outside of the street?
    Is that something to do with the old thing about how they used to pour buckets of pee out of the window? Or dirty water... I think I didn't pay much attention to that part of History in school lol.
    And I just feel awkward when someone tries to pay for me... um, no, I have my own money, I can do it lol.
    And anyone who reaches the door first should hold it open, no matter if they're male or female :)

I know of an incident where a couple was walking home and she was killed by a drunk driver that hit her. She was on the outside and had she been on the inside she would be alive today. He was the only one who saw it coming and couldn't pull her over the rail in time:( Had she been on the inside he would have been able to push her over and get himself out of the way!!

As far as the other stuff goes.....No one has done anything like that for me in years:(
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Modern etiquette actually says that whomever reaches the door first opens it, there's really nothing wrong with a women hands that they can't open doors.

I guess the OP just shows there are different types of people. Some men and women, live by those rules. For me personally I'd get creeped out and very annoyed by not being allowed to be a full person.

I have no idea why my husband would have to keep my car serviced or pump gas. What exactly about these things can I not do? I can keep a hairdressers appointment every so often, I can change a lightbulb, I'm sure I can find the garage.

I've never even heard of having to walk on the outside of the street. Wouldn't know why I would want anyone to do that for me?

*Open doors and always let her enter first (including opening/ closing car door)
    I can open doors for myself, I actually do this most of the day when you're not near me, I don't suddenly have a disability if you're near.

I will pay half of our first dinner thank you very much. Lets not start out by either of us being in debt to the other.

Well, actually that's a lot less important for women than man, shouldn't happen every time of course, but there's nothing wrong with it occasionally. Much better than the stress of always having to perform (or fake.... )

This!! I don't understand the walking on the outside of the street?
    Is that something to do with the old thing about how they used to pour buckets of pee out of the window? Or dirty water... I think I didn't pay much attention to that part of History in school lol.
    And I just feel awkward when someone tries to pay for me... um, no, I have my own money, I can do it lol.
    And anyone who reaches the door first should hold it open, no matter if they're male or female :)

I always walk on the outside so that I'm closer to traffic. It's not like I think about it, I've just always done it with my wife. It's a protection thing I guess. I also open doors in order to sort of look into a room before she goes in. I pump the gas so I know the car is properly gassed and serviced so when I'm not around I don't have to worry about the car breaking down on her. My wife is the most important part of my life so most of the things I do that would be considered 'chivalrous' are more about me being comfortable with her safety.
  • fattofit20
    Options
    I love a man with manners, treat a female like a lady and it will come back tenfold!

This statement will probably not go down well with some of the girlies on the site, but, I will state it anyways!

Men are the protectors, the stronger species physically, not emotionally or mentally, that is debatable. But females will always be under physical par.

So why not let the men around you pander to your femininity??? You are special, let them make you feel special and care for you???

^^^ This. I wholeheartedly agree. I love being treated like the female that I am. I will never profess to be able to do the same things man can do. I also think chivalry shows respect and that's always a nice thing.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've been friends with men my entire life. This is what I understand about them:

1. They have the need to work and achieve. Jobs are important. When men meet each other for the first time, one of the very first questions asked is “What do you do?”

2. They have the need to protect and to provide for their wife/girlfriend and their children. I believe that includes buying dinner. (On the other side of the coin, the woman has the obligation to behave in a respectful manner by not taking advantage of this desire.)

3. They have the need to lead. This includes leading their families toward common goals.

4. They have the need to analyze and counsel. Vent to most men and you will likely get a solution.

5. They need friendship from the woman in their life – preferably the blood brother type of friendship from their childhood. When he asks you to watch the game with him, it’s not for a chatting session. It is simply to have you there. The very lucky man in my life once asked me to paint storm windows with him. He didn't want me to help paint his windows. He just wanted me there to be there.

6. They also have the need for sex. Plain and simple. It doesn’t have to be a marathon session. Sometimes a quickie is just fine - and you CAN do that with a headache!

.===================================

Pretty sure the chilvary falls into #2.

Guys?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i completely agree. men should pay on dates, hold doors open, and pump a woman's gas, etc. and that's why we make 13% more than them in the work force.
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Can anyone point me in the direction of one of these gentlemen. Because around here chivalry has definitely died. That whole southern gentlemen thing must not exist around here.

all i want to say to this is that you just need to keep looking. we are still out there... although we are few and far between..... still if you look hard enough you will find one eventually....
  • aforange
    aforange Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

Somehow, "a lot less important" isn't computing.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is not dead, at least I hope not. I continue to believe there are things a man should do for a woman. While I can think of many I'm only going to list 5 random in no particular order:

*Fail to get off (no explanation needed. handle ya biz fellas or someone else will.)

That's not chivalry.

That's simple good manners....
  • Mnm1983
    Mnm1983 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is not dead, at least I hope not. I continue to believe there are things a man should do for a woman. While I can think of many I'm only going to list 5 random in no particular order:

*Fail to get off (no explanation needed. handle ya biz fellas or someone else will.)

and those things are extremely sexy!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Speak for yourself sister... I never had to fake one in my life.. Eff outta here lmao
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    i completely agree. men should pay on dates, hold doors open, and pump a woman's gas, etc. and that's why we make 13% more than them in the work force.

Laughing my butt off.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I've been friends with men my entire life. This is what I understand about them:

1. They have the need to work and achieve. Jobs are important. When men meet each other for the first time, one of the very first questions asked is “What do you do?”

2. They have the need to protect and to provide for their wife/girlfriend and their children. I believe that includes buying dinner. (On the other side of the coin, the woman has the obligation to behave in a respectful manner by not taking advantage of this desire.)

3. They have the need to lead. This includes leading their families toward common goals.

4. They have the need to analyze and counsel. Vent to most men and you will likely get a solution.

5. They need friendship from the woman in their life – preferably the blood brother type of friendship from their childhood. When he asks you to watch the game with him, it’s not for a chatting session. It is simply to have you there. The very lucky man in my life once asked me to paint storm windows with him. He didn't want me to help paint his windows. He just wanted me there to be there.

6. They also have the need for sex. Plain and simple. It doesn’t have to be a marathon session. Sometimes a quickie is just fine - and you CAN do that with a headache!

.===================================

Pretty sure the chilvary falls into #2.

Guys?

Wow you are on it... Nailed it. You pay attention.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    A2M?

if this is what i think it is ew.

With a name like belladonna you say, "ew?" I find that ironic.

Bwahahaha.. I thought the same thing.. If we are thinking of the same Belladonna...
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    You forgot:

Keep her sword polished and free of rust.
    Hide the bodies, lest you become one.
    Don't make eye contact, especially before, during, or after a battle.
    Get the eff out of the power rack when you see her coming through.
    Always, always have her money. Through rain, sleet, or snow.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Always, always have her money. Through rain, sleet, or snow.

*kitten*, b*tch betta have my money!
  • althaluszombie
    althaluszombie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    OMG - you sound just like my boyfriend! I know chivalry is not dead! He totally opens car doors for me, i have to walk on a certain side of him with traffic - all those things! I love it!
    chivalry is not dead... reason my wife loves me so. i am the southern gentleman. cut the watermelon for her
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    It's great when a man gets out of bed first to make the coffee. :smooched:

Currently single, I guess I could get a Mr. Coffee on a timer... :grumble:
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Did anyone say.... tickle her own kitty?
  • Stella_Leigh
    Stella_Leigh Posts: 189 Member
    Options

You, my dear, we raised right. Cheers to your family! :drinker:
  • rozsbluejay
    rozsbluejay Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is not dead, it just smells really bad.