Things A Chivalrous Man Shouldn't Let a Woman Do

Options

Replies

• lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I love my husband, don't get me wrong...but one of the biggest pet peeves I have is the fact that the man never, and I mean never, pumps gas. I will get into the car and it is nearly always on "E". Yesterday, in a hurry to get to my hearing, I leapt into his car (because it was two hours away and his car gets better gas mileage). On "E." Never fails.

*Put the seat down--or wipe the seat, never happens. Thankfully we have three bathrooms and he usually uses the same one, so I just avoid that one.

*Open the car door? Not on your life. I'm lucky if he remembers to unlock the door after getting in. :)

In the grand scheme of things, though, he does so much, so well, that these are really minor issues. My first husband did all of the nice things, but it was all flash, no substance. When things got tough, he fell apart. Give me the real thing, not the veneer. In a crisis, my guy would be the first person I trusted, without any hesitation.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If I had to wait for Hubby to pump my gas, I have a feeling that I'd be stranded by the side of the road. He does pump it if he is with me, but usually if he is with me, he is driving HIS car not mine.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    (too much?)

Only a little. :wink:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Take out the garbage.

Yep for sure I really appreciate my hubby doiing that, and he also takes out the garbage for the elderly neighbours collection too!
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is not dead, at least I hope not. I continue to believe there are things a man should do for a woman. While I can think of many I'm only going to list my top 5 in no particular order:

*Pump her gas/ keep car serviced
    *Walk on the outside on the street (keep her inside from street)
    *Open doors and always let her enter first (including opening/ closing car door)
    *Pick up tab for first date (can't stand a cheap ninja)
    *Fail to get off (no explanation needed. handle ya biz fellas or someone else will.)

My fav is "walk on the outside of the street", that's a classic rule, most men (that I have known) forget. Thanks for this! :flowerforyou:
  • kpye2011
    kpye2011 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is not dead, at least I hope not. I continue to believe there are things a man should do for a woman. While I can think of many I'm only going to list my top 5 in no particular order:

*Open doors and always let her enter first (including opening/ closing car door)
    *Fail to get off (no explanation needed. handle ya biz fellas or someone else will.)

Very nice;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The only thing I care about is "shouldn't leave the seat up at night." During the day, I don't care. At night, I don't want to end up falling in.

I got kind of sour on chivalrous behaviors with my ex. He did the polite things, but he was still a rat *kitten*. He was gentlemanly out of a sense of obligation (and training from his mother), not out of genuine affection or concern.

So I'd rather a guy who's there for me emotionally, but lets me put on my coat or open doors myself. I can do all those things myself when he's not around. I see no need for him to do them for me. It means more to me when my husband brings me home a can of Rock Star the day before a race (my go-go juice!) than it would if he opened a car door.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Holy white knights.

I feel sick this is just pathetic.

Why is your skin green?
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

*Fail to get off (no explanation needed. handle ya biz fellas)

These and:

Drive
    Drop her at the door if it's raining.
    Help her with her jacket.
    Pull put her chair. (HATE when I see the host do it at a restaurant while the husband/boyfriend watches)
    Carry the bags when shopping.
    Don't be disrespectful.
    Call when you say you will.

And, since mine does all that, I found one of the good ones.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Take out the garbage.

Yep for sure I really appreciate my hubby doiing that, and he also takes out the garbage for the elderly neighbours collection too!

I hate garbage juice, he hates doing laundry. Compromise.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Holy white knights.

Hahaha. Strong white knight in this thread.

I'm all for being kind and nice to people if its something you want to do. Take care of your woman and she should take care of you. Some people just show affection with gestures more.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hire a maid so she don't have to clean.. wait I do that so I don't have to clean LOL

*sigh* I sincerely miss having a maid...
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Don't make her sleep in the wet spot.

Edit: I think I love you.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

My fav is "walk on the outside of the street", that's a classic rule, most men (that I have known) forget. Thanks for this! :flowerforyou:

I admit this is one thing I always do.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Work.
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    Holy white knights.

I feel sick this is just pathetic.

Why is your skin green?
    because

beast mode [on] off
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options

Love. My stepdad is really, really great to my mom (which I love, of course). He always opens the car door for her even when he parks he'll walk around and open it. He stands up when any woman gets up to leave the table and comes back to sit down. He cooks/cleans and fixes everything around the house plus cars. It may be much for some people...but women swoon over him anywhere and everywhere he goes with my mom.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    But i like doing those things for my boyfriend.. it's not so much chivalry but actually caring about the other person and being considerate.

This.

Also, anybody who approaches this with the attitude of not letting her do things gets on my nerves very quickly. It is not a race to the door; I am a grown woman and perfectly capable of opening the door myself. If I get there first, I will hold it open for you because that is common courtesy.

^^ This lol. I feel like the whole "open my door for me" stuff is crazy....If I get there first I'll open it and hold it open because it is the nice thing to do...but if she gets there first she will hold the door open for me.

Walk on the side closest to the road? omg lol...really?

Girls who care about silly things like this because they want a "white knight to sweep them off their feet" are not for me. :)

I'll take the girl who can handle herself and doesnt need a guy around if she doesnt need him.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Put the seat down.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Oh, Leopold! ♥

May I add - Never eat the last slice of pizza. You know how much I love pizza.

^ More for your own well being than mine.