Things A Chivalrous Man Shouldn't Let a Woman Do

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I can pump my own gas you chauvinist pig!!!

(too much?)

Except you live in NJ and therefore don't pump your own gas. :tongue:
  • _granola
    Options
    I am one of those women that will kill chivalry any time she can. You’re welcome.
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    Holy white knights.

Hahaha. Strong white knight in this thread.

I'm all for being kind and nice to people if its something you want to do. Take care of your woman and she should take care of you. Some people just show affection with gestures more.

Fair enough if someone and their partner do nice things for each other.

But things like paying for her on the 1st date (as OP said) is just lame and weak. Or going out of your way to the point of lowering your dignity e.g. getting out the car and running round to the other side to open hers.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    But i like doing those things for my boyfriend.. it's not so much chivalry but actually caring about the other person and being considerate.

This.

Also, anybody who approaches this with the attitude of not letting her do things gets on my nerves very quickly. It is not a race to the door; I am a grown woman and perfectly capable of opening the door myself. If I get there first, I will hold it open for you because that is common courtesy.

^^ This lol. I feel like the whole "open my door for me" stuff is crazy....If I get there first I'll open it and hold it open because it is the nice thing to do...but if she gets there first she will hold the door open for me.

Walk on the side closest to the road? omg lol...really?

Girls who care about silly things like this because they want a "white knight to sweep them off their feet" are not for me. :)

I'll take the girl who can handle herself and doesnt need a guy around if she doesnt need him.

I hold the door for men and women equally...I always look behind me if I open a door to make sure to hold it if someone is there. I don't NEED to have anyone hold the door for me, but I think it's really sweet and I totally appreciate the gesture. I always say thank you.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    Having manners and being a gentleman is a rare find... I likey!! lol
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Work.

Whoa now.. he said chivalrous, not controlling.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I can pump my own gas you chauvinist pig!!!

(too much?)

Except you live in NJ and therefore don't pump your own gas. :tongue:

You shut yer dirty mouth!

:noway:
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    A man should always be gentle when putting the cuffs on.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I grew up with my sisters and a single mom. I kind of don't expect anything from a guy...I'm an "I can do things for myself" kind of girl. But when my husband holds the door, opens the car door, carries in the groceries, etc.. I really appreciate it and he knows it.

I did too and I'm perfectly capable of still doing it. That's why it's so much nicer that he WANTS too. Plus, it makes him feel more manly to take care of me and I don't lose anything by letting him so I let him.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Let her do everything herself. Gotta make her feel equal its the politically correct thing to do.

Yeah, I don't know where they keep getting this equality thing from since they can only seem to make 75% of what a man makes.

:wink: *waits for hellish backlash*

It's a well known fact that women have to work twice as hard as men to be thought of half as good. Luckily, this isn't difficult.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Mow my lawn

Move the heavy stuff
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Modern etiquette actually says that whomever reaches the door first opens it, there's really nothing wrong with a women hands that they can't open doors.

I guess the OP just shows there are different types of people. Some men and women, live by those rules. For me personally I'd get creeped out and very annoyed by not being allowed to be a full person.

*Pump her gas/ keep car serviced
    I have no idea why my husband would have to keep my car serviced or pump gas. What exactly about these things can I not do? I can keep a hairdressers appointment every so often, I can change a lightbulb, I'm sure I can find the garage.

*Walk on the outside on the street (keep her inside from street)
    I've never even heard of having to walk on the outside of the street. Wouldn't know why I would want anyone to do that for me?

*Open doors and always let her enter first (including opening/ closing car door)
    I can open doors for myself, I actually do this most of the day when you're not near me, I don't suddenly have a disability if you're near.

*Pick up tab for first date (can't stand a cheap ninja)
    I will pay half of our first dinner thank you very much. Lets not start out by either of us being in debt to the other.

*Fail to get off (no explanation needed. handle ya biz fellas)
    Well, actually that's a lot less important for women than man, shouldn't happen every time of course, but there's nothing wrong with it occasionally. Much better than the stress of always having to perform (or fake.... )
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Mow my lawn

Move the heavy stuff

innuendo????
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    Modern etiquette actually says that whomever reaches the door first opens it, there's really nothing wrong with a women hands that they can't open doors.

I guess the OP just shows there are different types of people. Some men and women, live by those rules. For me personally I'd get creeped out and very annoyed by not being allowed to be a full person.

I have no idea why my husband would have to keep my car serviced or pump gas. What exactly about these things can I not do? I can keep a hairdressers appointment every so often, I can change a lightbulb, I'm sure I can find the garage.

I've never even heard of having to walk on the outside of the street. Wouldn't know why I would want anyone to do that for me?

*Open doors and always let her enter first (including opening/ closing car door)
    I can open doors for myself, I actually do this most of the day when you're not near me, I don't suddenly have a disability if you're near.

I will pay half of our first dinner thank you very much. Lets not start out by either of us being in debt to the other.

Well, actually that's a lot less important for women than man, shouldn't happen every time of course, but there's nothing wrong with it occasionally. Much better than the stress of always having to perform (or fake.... )

My faith in humanity has been restored
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

wa wa waaaaaaaa
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Mow my lawn

Move the heavy stuff

innuendo????

Lol...no....literally do the yard work...that's a man's job. :wink:
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Go unthanked for bringing you your beer and your sandwich.
    I like the way you think
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I love a man with manners, treat a female like a lady and it will come back tenfold!

This statement will probably not go down well with some of the girlies on the site, but, I will state it anyways!

Men are the protectors, the stronger species physically, not emotionally or mentally, that is debatable. But females will always be under physical par.

So why not let the men around you pander to your femininity??? You are special, let them make you feel special and care for you???
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is not dead, at least I hope not. I continue to believe there are things a man should do for a woman. While I can think of many I'm only going to list my top 5 in no particular order:

*Fail to get off (no explanation needed. handle ya biz fellas or someone else will.)

:flowerforyou: YOU sir, are good man! Any lady would be lucky to have ya !!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This is my fiance and more... He is the one who actually told me about the whole walk on the inside on the street. I just find it sweet. Some people on this thread are too bitter.