Does an hour of cardio a day burn muscle?

Options
I'd like to do cardio for about an hour today, but I heard past 40 minutes and your body begins to burn muscle instead of fat :( is this true?

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    This oughta be good...
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    in before the lock
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    What? lol
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    To say that at exactly 40 minutes your body starts breaking down muscle is a bit humurous. I always recommend short duration cardio to preserve muscle but just as important is enough dietary protein, proper recovery time, strength training, and a small caloric deficit.
  • fatboypup
    Options
    cardio till you puke is my motto
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    In before sarcasm.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    bump should be good for some laughs after eveyone gets to post their 2 cents.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    No. Next question.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Care to back that up with a pony?
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ummm... :laugh:
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • etherealdoll
    Options
    Shout-out to all the previous responses for demonstrating exactly why I hate most people on MFP
  • fatboypup
    Options

Care to back that up with a pony?
    MOAR PONY!?!?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do cardio for about an hour today, but I heard past 40 minutes and your body begins to burn muscle instead of fat :( is this true?

Before the sarcasm..... excessive cardio is not a good condition for muscle development. What's excessive? An hour is probably on the upper end of what I would do but it's not going to start sucking off muscle if you go over 15 minutes. Eat a nice amount of protein (1g per pound lean body weight), do some strength exercises to help preserve those muscles, and by all means do your cardio.

Will you have smaller arms if you're more into cardio than those who never do it? Of course you will but you need to remember that those 20 inch arms with a 45 inch waist line doesn't look nearly as impressive as 15 inch arms with a 30 inch waist. To the poor guy with the large arms and huge gut on the ab machine at my gym last night, no we'll never see your abs. You're fat! Go do some cardio and eat better.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    He is just building them up for when they are exposed next summer
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Shout-out to all the previous responses for demonstrating exactly why I hate most people on MFP
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My trainer suggested that I tone down the cardio if I want to gain muscle mass. On strength days I (try) to only do 20-30 mins, on my non strength days then I run as far/long as I want to. I dont believe it's a certain amount of time in one run that hurts the muscle growth, but you need to make sure you are balancing.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    He is just building them up for when they are exposed next summer

I hope so. He had some pretty nice tattoos that I admired. It would be cool if he was in better shape.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    cardio doesnt necessarily burn mucsle. going into a calorie deficit because of cardio and not lifting weights start protein synthesis to offset will.
  • Thundermtn
    Options
    Oi vey... this is a flamer topic...

Bottom line, put simply... the body will burn available energy sources.. typically this is through carbs and fats.. Losing any type of muscle mass has more to do with inadequate diet than burning cardio. You gotta feed the machine kids...

an hour of cardio will be fine... of course, there are so many factors to any of these questions.. Are you high intensity training,,or low intensity. blah blah blah....