Does an hour of cardio a day burn muscle?

Options

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    one thing I can say is that as a former cardio addict, it wasn't working for me anymore. My body wasn't responding and I had to add heavy weight lifting to my routine in order to start seeing results again. I was working out 6 days per week and didn't look it at all. Too much of the same will no longer challenge your body
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I honestly think cardio is person dependent. If you are extremely small and trying to loose weight, then yes I would assume you would be burning more muscle instead of fat because there is less mass. And vice versa....
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    Woah I didn't think I would get this many responses, and I'm pretty happy I have a good sense of humor because some of these made me laugh :p
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    I had some waffles today.. :)
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    cardio till you puke is my motto

Care to back that up with a pony?

Challenge accepted.
    35555__safe_pinkie-pie_animated_tongue_a-friend-in-deed_headband_exercise_.gif
    53935-double_rainbowmemepukerainbowrainbow_dashthrowing_upvomit.jpg
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Never mind burning muscle, too much cardio WILL make your uterus fall out!
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sometimes this can get so complicated! I just eat healthy, fresh whole foods for the most part....and exercise. I have been doing Zumba and Insanity (which I greatly modify to my fitness level). Our fitness trainer, at work measured my body fat over the last month. I lost five pounds...and of those five pounds I lost five pounds of fat. I lost a lot of inches and had to go down a pant size (of an overall loss of 20 pounds). The last two days I've been on "bed rest" ~ blah...because I have a cold/flu something......and it's frustrating to not exercise. I don't know..I think WHAT you EAT has A LOT to do with it. I remember going to the gym for years and seeing the same people daily, looking the same way????~~ This is a non-expert opinion....so don't slam me. BTW some people have serious questions and it's weird to see such sarcasm and disrespect....justs sayin'
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Shout-out to all the previous responses for demonstrating exactly why I hate most people on MFP

Yup.
  • countmein88
    Options
    whatever your body can sustain... make sure that you eat a good calorie target to meet your goals and everything in moderation should be fine
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I agree with one of the other posters.....I prefer short burst of intense cardio. Helps burn more calories without risking muscle loss from excessive cardio session's. besides, why in the hell would ya wanna spend an hour doing cardio?? Hit it hard, hit it fast and get the hell outta there!!!

Are you still talking about cardio???
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    cardio till you puke is my motto

Care to back that up with a pony?

Challenge accepted.
    35555__safe_pinkie-pie_animated_tongue_a-friend-in-deed_headband_exercise_.gif
    53935-double_rainbowmemepukerainbowrainbow_dashthrowing_upvomit.jpg

loled irl
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Shout-out to all the previous responses for demonstrating exactly why I hate most people on MFP
    u hate us but cant stay away. we r like those sour candies. they taste sooo bad but u gotta have another one. (just jokes lol)

Sour candy is yummy! I eat the WarHeads and then spit them out when the sour layer is gone and it turns sweet!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I want waffels.
    i want chicken AND WAFFLES
    chicken_and_waffles.jpg

mmmmm now that looks good!!!!

You guys can keep the chicken. I'll have bacon and sausage with my waffles!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I agree with one of the other posters.....I prefer short burst of intense cardio. Helps burn more calories without risking muscle loss from excessive cardio session's. besides, why in the hell would ya wanna spend an hour doing cardio?? Hit it hard, hit it fast and get the hell outta there!!!

Are you still talking about cardio???

What was the OP again?
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    ...here we go with the cardio bunnies.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Please pass me some waffle syrup....I'll pass some popcorn :glasses:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Oi vey... this is a flamer topic...

Bottom line, put simply... the body will burn available energy sources.. typically this is through carbs and fats.. Losing any type of muscle mass has more to do with inadequate diet than burning cardio. You gotta feed the machine kids...

an hour of cardio will be fine... of course, there are so many factors to any of these questions.. Are you high intensity training,,or low intensity. blah blah blah....

This is exactly right. What your body burns during exercise depends on diet/nutrition, not on time.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do cardio for about an hour today, but I heard past 40 minutes and your body begins to burn muscle instead of fat :( is this true?

It depends on a couple of factors including the severity of your calorie deficit and your carb consumption / glycogen levels.

The Tremblay study shows the hormonal environment starts to turn catabolic around the 80 minute mark so 40 minutes should be fine depending on the other factors mentioned above.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do cardio for about an hour today, but I heard past 40 minutes and your body begins to burn muscle instead of fat :( is this true?

No. Cardiovascular does not "burn muscle" at all. Next question?
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Please pass me some waffle syrup....I'll pass some popcorn :glasses:

Lol Kittie....I'm waiting for your "Bless her/his heart comments." Always priceless :)