Anyone else feel uncomfortable with Jillian's pics?

Options
I was browsing through the message boards and pics of Jillian Michaels keeps looming to the right side. Not that I have a problem with her or this site for posting these pictures - I know she works very hard to be the pretty person she is but it is a little intimidating. I am being realistic - I will never look like her no matter how much diet and exercise I subject myself to (Well maybe I could if I could if I were fortunate enough to make working out my full-time job - but don't see this happening!)

Understand, I haven't seen her show; don't own any videos so I really don't know her message. I do understand she might be a great role model as far as motivating people to exercise and treat their body well. But just a little nervous that young people might see her and expect the same results.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I prefer to see her then the nasty, stretch-mark ads that were here for awhile. :laugh:

Seriously, they were nasty! :sick: :sick:
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    I prefer to see her then the nasty, stretch-mark ads that were here for awhile. :laugh:

That's very true!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the ads are inappropriate for a weight loss forum, inasfar as most of us came here or still are fat. (Yes, I said the "f word".) Seeing skinny (yes, I said the "s word") women in pics makes me feel badly about myself and my self image. I do a good job ignoring the ads, since they pay for the site. *shrug*

(Feel free to attack my opinion. I'm cool with it. It's my view point.)
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options

or the teeth ads...yuck
    I'm ok with her pics
    I know I will never look like that, but I am just here to be the best that I can be (corny, but true)
  • klybarger
    Options
    I think a lot of the ads are inappropriate for a weight loss forum, inasfar as most of us came here or still are fat. (Yes, I said the "f word".) Seeing skinny (yes, I said the "s word") women in pics makes me feel badly about myself and my self image. I do a good job ignoring the ads, since they pay for the site. *shrug*

My intention is not for anyone to attack anyone. I just know I have my own insecurities and was wondering what other people thought about it. I just feel really bad for young people - they have a lot of issues to contend with in the media. (opinion) I hope people focus on being healthy.
  • klybarger
    Options
    And I understand advertising is necessary to keep this great site going :)
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    I prefer seeing the spunky Progressive lady over the one where Jillian is pointing at me. No Jillian I will not buy your supplements! Boo hiss!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Attacks???? Here???? Surely you jest! :laugh: :wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

My intention is not for anyone to attack anyone. I just know I have my own insecurities and was wondering what other people thought about it. I just feel really bad for young people - they have a lot of issues to contend with in the media. (opinion) I hope people focus on being healthy.

Like Shannon so tongue-in-cheek pointed out, not everyone is here to attack, but some will and I'm cool with that.

I know my issues with her picture (and others) come from my own insecurities. I'm working on them but that is a lifelong process and I may never be rid of them.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think she looks like a neanderthal. But that's just my opinion. I don't mind seeing pictures of skinny folks or fat folks. I have to say my favorite are old pictures of people when they were fat and new skinny pictures.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I've never really thought much about it... I really like Jillian Michaels... the pics don't bother me...
  • klybarger
    Options
    I prefer seeing the spunky Progressive lady over the one where Jillian is pointing at me. No Jillian I will not buy your supplements! Boo hiss!

I'm really not even interested in the products they're peddling (people have to make a living, eh?). What upsets me most are the messages being projected toward women through the pictures alone. It kind of makes me sad.
  • faymom
    faymom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1. The Ads pay for the Site. So yep. They are a good thing.
    2. My personal training had her personal insecurities - and they were ALL about her butt, thighs, tummy, etc. No matter what I told her (she was size 3, 5'8" tall, dark, pretty, outgoing, etc) she was always doubting herself. I wouldn't have believed she thought herself fat or out-of-shape except I saw her 5 times a week for class or sessions and she was EXTREMELY distorted in her view of her body.
    3. Everybody needs positive feedback - even those people you (or I) think is already in good shape.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I find her a to be a positive reinforcement for me, especially since she battled weight problems in her life to get where she is.
  • Mandillynn
    Options
    I don't feel insecure because I love who I am, regardless of my size. You should never let an AIRBRUSHED picture of a chick get you down. You know who you are, and thank God you're not Jillian Michaels (she's probably a ***** IRL anyway... lol j/k). You are you, trying to live a healthier life than you were. Jillian's body type maybe unrealistic to the majority of us, but that doesn't mean you don't look good. You are your own worst critic.

I have a lot more going for me than what my body looks like. I'm a good person, mother, and woman to my man. People like me because they are drawn my confidence, regardless of my size. I am a fun person to be around. I make people laugh. I'm always there for people. I'm a giving person. I have people who truly love me. I'm graduating college this semester. What is it about you that people like? What is is about yourself that YOU like?

People focus too much on what they're going to look like when they're done here, and honestly... none of that matters. Living a healthier life... that's the MOST important. If I am a big woman for the rest of my life, but I'm eating healthy and keeping active... then I will be happy. There will always be someone better than you with something, and we all just have to accept it and know that it doesn't mean we are bad people. Easier said than done, but damn it... LOVE YOURSELF!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • xeniasimms
    Options
    Personally, I love Jillian, but I don't want to look like her. I like her stomach but that's about it. My breast, hips, thighs and butt are more shapely and womanly than hers and I love them that way. I want to tone them but I want to keep my curves. I don't want to look like Jillian and personally, I think REAL women look much better and should be striving to look like a healthier version of ourselves! Plus, if you feel intimidated, remember this.... I've yet to meet a guy that thinks she is attractive!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a bit much. The pictures are also air-brushed/photo-shopped to death. I watch her show on TV and even SHE doesn't look like that.

But I just ignore it. Not why I'm here, and I'm sure they need the ads to pay the bills.
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Personally I like Jillian, her message and her methods. I think you're selling yourself short when you say "I'll never be able to look like that no matter what I do." You could have that body...really, I promise you!! :happy: If you never do that's ok (it isn't my goal either) but Jillian made a choice at some point in her life and that's what got her where she is today.

Seeing good-looking men and women shouldn't make you feel bad. She's just human. If she can do it so can you. :tongue:
  • klybarger
    Options
    I don't feel insecure because I love who I am, regardless of my size. You should never let an AIRBRUSHED picture of a chick get you down. You know who you are, and thank God you're not Jillian Michaels (she's probably a ***** IRL anyway... lol j/k). You are you, trying to live a healthier life than you were. Jillian's body type maybe unrealistic to the majority of us, but that doesn't mean you don't look good. You are your own worst critic.

I have a lot more going for me than what my body looks like. I'm a good person, mother, and woman to my man. People like me because they are drawn my confidence, regardless of my size. I am a fun person to be around. I make people laugh. I'm always there for people. I'm a giving person. I have people who truly love me. I'm graduating college this semester. What is it about you that people like? What is is about yourself that YOU like?

People focus too much on what they're going to look like when they're done here, and honestly... none of that matters. Living a healthier life... that's the MOST important. If I am a big woman for the rest of my life, but I'm eating healthy and keeping active... then I will be happy. There will always be someone better than you with something, and we all just have to accept it and know that it doesn't mean we are bad people. Easier said than done, but damn it... LOVE YOURSELF!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Well said
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My hubby thinks she looks like she could be Lou Ferrigno's (original Hulk) twin sister.