ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    YAYUH!! :bigsmile:
    tumblr_m5zyxv9atq1rsr3tdo1_r1_500.gif
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I think the word bullying is overused.

I was being friended by a lot of people with ED's. I don't know if its because I'm small so they thought I had one too or what. It got to be frustrating. And sometimes I deleted them but I never posted anything about it on my wall. I have seen others do that also and I feel like they were just venting. Of course the ones that I saw do it did not use the person's username in their post. I think that is wrong. Still not sure I would call it bullying though.

Bullying is when you try to intimidate someone who is weaker. If the person vented on their own wall about it, doesnt sound like they were trying to be intimidating to the other person.

See, the person who was being accused of bullying make it 100% anonymous. No one was pointed out, and the person who was being targeted didn't even know what was going on.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    This is dumb...Bullying? Seriously? Grow up you arent 9
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,120 Member
    Options
    To the OP's original question, it sounds like social shunning/exclusion which could be considered to be a form of bullying... but really it seems to me like many folks get internet butt hurt very, very easily...
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I think the word bullying is overused.

I was being friended by a lot of people with ED's. I don't know if its because I'm small so they thought I had one too or what. It got to be frustrating. And sometimes I deleted them but I never posted anything about it on my wall. I have seen others do that also and I feel like they were just venting. Of course the ones that I saw do it did not use the person's username in their post. I think that is wrong. Still not sure I would call it bullying though.

Bullying is when you try to intimidate someone who is weaker. If the person vented on their own wall about it, doesnt sound like they were trying to be intimidating to the other person.

See, the person who was being accused of bullying make it 100% anonymous. No one was pointed out, and the person who was being targeted didn't even know what was going on.

But, I'm guessing they do now....
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Nope
    You get to decide who your friends are its not bullying to delet4e anyone

The term "bullying" is SO over used.

That
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I think the internet police need to be called
    some one needs a time out...
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Just rude and stupid. Why not let it go? Did you need validation for deleting her so asked a bunch of others to validate you?

*pffft*
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be posting anyones personal business on my wall not my place, nor anyone else's for that matter.

If I had an issue with someone and needed to remove them I would either just do it... or if I felt it necessary to tell them why then PM them... no one else really needs to know.

I would not call it bullying.. just kinda... off.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Bullying. That term sure does get thrown around a lot on the internet.

When I see people do this (delete an ED friend and then post about it) it's because they feel guilt over deleting a friend. They are posting about it to get feedback from their own friends, support... not bullying. For the average human being, it is disturbing to cross paths with someone who has such an odd relationship with something so basic to human life as food...
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    So, there's a unanimous agreement that it's not bullying?

I guess some people just a stick up their butt about certain things in life and like to blow it all out of proportion.

Oh, and I don't have any lunch money. You'll need to ask the other dork down the hall.

I noticed you mentioned blow in your 2nd sentence, hand it over.... the hookers too!!
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as 'bullying'. It may not be the best thing to discuss if they used the members username but I don't see how it could be considered bullying. Bullying is done with an intention to hurt someone, either mentally or physically. I'm not sure how this would hurt the person that was deleted if they couldn't see it. So, while it might be in poor taste, I don't think it's bullying at all.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    By the way - what's ED?

Erectile dysfunction?

ED on this site is an Eating Disorder, get your mind outta the gutter man

That's where you think the gutter is? Woah guy, you're not going to last long on these forums...

worry_zps0bc3f686.jpg
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Then that would be "gossip" about somebody, not bullying. Although if they didn't even say who it was, then they didn't gossip very well.

Really, it sounds like they were just "venting" about something without identifying anyone. *shrug*
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If that's bullying, then the word has been redefined. :ohwell:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    My favorites are when people post in a topic that somebody posts in or creates then not even a minute later update their status to reflect an indirect message toward the other person in a derogatory fashion insinuating that they aren't here for help but for several different reasons. I thought we were all here to help each other and seek information and opinions from everyone, not just a specific group of people.... again, that's just my opinion, but I always thought that's what mfp was about.

I read this 3 times and I still don't understand. Is that person a friend that would see the status update?? I'm so confused!

And to answer the OP, I don't see how it's bullying if the person it was directed toward didn't see it. Lots of people delete ED friends and then post how sad it is that people want to hurt themselves by eating that low. They're probably hoping anyone else on their FL with an ED, or who thinks that's a healthy way to lose, will see it and take a hint.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've done this. Admittedly I made a kind of big deal about one maybe a week ago. It was after I deleted the person, I deleted the status update where I became friends with her, and I didn't use her name in describing the event. I even posted a picture of her frightening diary where I blocked out her name so she was as anonymous as I could make it.

At that point, the conversation had nothing to do with the person in question. I was upset about it, and wanted to discuss it with my friends. It turned out to be a great conversation where people of different walks of life chimed in- other people who were worried about their friends, friends recovering from EDs that wanted to share their experiences, friends who had gone through the same thing. It wasn't bullying at all. I personally think sharing experiences with people with different viewpoints and experiences is the greatest benefit of MFP, not this environment of universal support that some people want it to be.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    that's not bullying.

that's a$$holing.

Try not to be a bully...or an *kitten*. If you want to help someone, say something to them. If you don't want to bother with them and would rather cut them off, that's totally cool too. But to cut them off and then talk about them behind their back? In what world is this cool?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I've done this. Admittedly I made a kind of big deal about one maybe a week ago. It was after I deleted the person, I deleted the status update where I became friends with her, and I didn't use her name in describing the event. I even posted a picture of her frightening diary where I blocked out her name so she was as anonymous as I could make it.

At that point, the conversation had nothing to do with the person in question. I was upset about it, and wanted to discuss it with my friends. It turned out to be a great conversation where people of different walks of life chimed in- other people who were worried about their friends, friends recovering from EDs that wanted to share their experiences, friends who had gone through the same thing. It wasn't bullying at all. I personally think sharing experiences with people with different viewpoints and experiences is the greatest benefit of MFP, not this environment of universal support that some people want it to be.

:heart: