Siberian Husky Lovers/Owners

Options

Replies

• tship74
    Options
    We have two and are possibly looking for a third. Add me up!!! Huskies ROck!!!

4952_1132839372292_3186988_n.jpg
  • Hockeyma65
    Hockeyma65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Had a female husky and loved her. Friends and loveable but did not like being cooped up in the yard, always dug her way out
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You all have beautiful huskies, great pics. I have a Malamute (rescue, about 9 years old now), and I so have to agree on the hair issue....Usually leave a pile of it outdoors after brushing for the birds and squirrels as nest material .....
  • banks89202
    Options
    To all of you dog lovers I'm your gal. (pet groomer for 7 years and I am a pop pet artist :) I have a website if you guys would like to take a look www.ABpopart.com.

I have a german shepherd and she is my baby!! :)
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    We had one growing up in Vermont, her name was Chena (after the river in Alaska). I've always wanted another one but I live in the desert now and that just seems cruel to not have them able to play in the snow. Love the breed though.

We don't have snow in Auckland, but we take our dog to the beach, and for bushwalks. She loves the water. I'd love to take her to the snow. They can have a great time without snow though so don't let that stop you :-)
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, but I love them! My boyfriend and I are planning to get 3 dogs as soon as we're out of our rental place: 1.An Akita/Shiba 2. A Siberian Husky 3. a small lap-dog, probably a pomeranian or a chow-chow. :) I have a Cairn Terrier named Piper back home, and I love him to pieces. <3
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Here is my 5 year old BLAZE as a new pup. I am too lazy to upload the others onto photobucket.

[img]http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo269/pg3ibew/Weight Loss/IMG_3975.jpg[/img]
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I must have done something wrong with my huskies because people seem to love the breed. I have two females and based on my experience, I will never, ever get another husky.

The older one is almost 7 years old. She is CRAAAAZY when company comes over. She jumps all over them, howling. She just loves company, but most people, unless you are a dog lover, do not want that crazy attention when they come to my house. Needless to say, I don't have company over much. She also is extremely posessive with her "treats". If it is something she is not supposed to have, I'm likely to get bit trying to take it from her if I don't take it the right way. I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter who doesn't understand that when the dog has my daughter's toys, she can't just take it from her. Then, the other day, I accidentally kinda stepped on her tail when she was laying under the bed and had it sticking out and she growled at me! She can be loving sometimes, but it has to be under her terms.

The other one is 4 years old. This dog has the worst anxiety I have ever seen. She pants constantly and will poop and pee in the house the minute you leave. If you stay home with her all day, she doesn't mess in the house at all. She once shut herself in the bathroom when nobody was home and freaked out so much that she tore and tore at the door until she almost got through the other side. We replaced the door and she did it again. All this and she is on prozac, it helps, but she is still nuts. And she is an escape artist. She is constantly looking for ways to get out of the fenced in back yard. She can be a very sweet dog, but she doesn't like my daughter either.

I don't trust either one of these dogs with my daughter and I have to constantly be on alert that they are not left in the same room with her. We had all of these issues before I had my daughter but it has gotten worse, I suppose because they are jealous of her. If you can't tell, these dogs are a huge source of stress in my life. They do have their good traits and I love them, but I will NEVER get another husky based on my experiences.

Sorry to hear you have had trouble with your Huskies but why on earth is she on Prozac, was that prescribed by a vet?! If so, change your vet! Drugs to control dogs is only masking issues rather than actually dealing with them. Prozac is known to cause an escalation in the bad behaviour rather than calm them down. Have you seen the side effects of Prozac given to dogs?..... one of them is hyperactivity!

What you have described sounds like you are not in control of the environment hence the behaviour you are experiencing. However, it is something that can be worked on and sorted. Huskies are very strong willed animals and they need to know, in no uncertain terms, who is boss. In the absence of authority they will run amock, period! The issues don't sound that bad in all fairness and by adopting certain techniques you will be amazed at the difference. I recommend you do a search for a 'dog listener' in your area and get a consultation, we use the methods they use and they work a treat and needs you to only to follow some simple steps consistently and calmly. Diet could also be contributing to any hyperactivity in the dogs, if you are feeding them food that is high in protein and full of additives then perhaps try changing to food with natural ingredients is a way to go.

If you have any questions, let me know. FYI - I am not a dog behaviourist or an 'expert' however we work closely with a Husky rescue organisation so see these comments quite a lot when people are having trouble with their huskies.

I hope this helps in some way?

Yes, the vet prescribed the prozac along with a meeting with a dog behaviorist. The prozac does help though I was a little dissapointed with the behaviorist.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    OK, this may be a really dumb question as I I've had my furball Rain for over 7 years now.......Best way to give a mal a bath. And I mean a total bath.......not the partial mess in the backyard that is more like a wrestling match resulting in my near-drowning, soap ingesting eventual mud bath for dog&me.........Rain is not exactly fond of baths and I really am not one to bathe my dogs regularly, more as needed - but she is sooooooooo hard to bathe. Guess I am a bit spoled as greyhound bathing/grooming is childs play compared to a mal :huh:
  • lookingforsomething
    Options
    No husky's but I have a boarder collie and two Aussie shepherds - hope you don't discriminate?
    Still loveable fur babies that decorate the house/clothes/car in mud/fur when ever they want to. :smile:
    Do love a cuddle from a husky though!
  • mermaid00
    mermaid00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Huskies! I haven't been able to have one of my own because of moving around and living in apartments where I'm pet-restricted but once I am able to afford to buy a place I plan on getting one to add to my "pack". I have a miniature American Eskimo dog (she looks like a small Samoyed) named Luna, and 2 senior Feline Americans (one of them thinks he's a dog - runs up to greet people when they come to visit).

I helped take care of a neighbor's Sibe years ago, took him for walks, took him to obedience training - awesome dog but BOY was he a terror pup until his owner got him into doggie daycare (best thing to happen to that dog!).

My Luna is awesome on leash, and loves to run around like a craaaaazy dog. I am never without replacement covers for my "fur fighter" which is great for getting all that dog (and cat) hair off the furniture.

One of the most fun thing about owning a Northern breed (Huskies, Malamutes, etc) is that they are extremely intelligent and will actually make an effort to talk back - or rather - sass you back if you tell them what to do. It's very funny to watch. Arooooo!!!
  • marisablakley
    marisablakley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am somewhat of a dog snob. I have to say that huskies are my favorite looking of all dogs, but here's where i may annoy some people......please ADOPT a husky. Look for a rescue or check petfinder.com . There are so many dogs put to sleep every day. "Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die"
    I will get off my soapbox now.
  • mermaid00
    mermaid00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am somewhat of a dog snob. I have to say that huskies are my favorite looking of all dogs, but here's where i may annoy some people......please ADOPT a husky. Look for a rescue or check petfinder.com . There are so many dogs put to sleep every day. "Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die"
    I will get off my soapbox now.

Absolutely!!! I got my purebred dog from a shelter and she is absolutely perfect. Just look on sites like petfinder - you can often find Huskies in rescue or at shelters - all they need is some extra TLC, consistency, and plenty of exercise for them to blossom.
  • ChanyL
    ChanyL Posts: 41
    Options
    She passed away last sunday, was 13 years old :frown:
    HeidiInTheSnow.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. She was gorgeous. :-(
  • ChanyL
    ChanyL Posts: 41
    Options
    Thought you'd like to have a look at my friend's huskies :-) http://www.trailroc.com/?p=team
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Thought you'd like to have a look at my friend's huskies :-) http://www.trailroc.com/?p=team

ohmygod they're so cute!! I want to give all of them cuddles!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Great photos (and relatable stories lol) of everyone's fur babes! :) Nakita is my third husky since childhood, its the only breed I know - love that crazy pooch!!!

Add me! I'll share some pics tomorrow !!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,167 Member
    Options
    I have a lovely lady husky named Tuki who is an absolute sweetie!

As odd as it might sound to a group of folks who love Siberians, I don't encourage novice dog owners to get a husky. In my experience, huskies are intelligent, independent and stubborn. Once you've established who is alpha (and it better not be the dog) then you're find and those traits are endearing. It's too easy for a novice dog owner to end up having problems and end up with the kind of behavioral issues Amyhoss described.
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    :)
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Here is my siberian husky puppy, Kimora.
    http://i.imgur.com/udJGj.jpg

I would embed it but it's HQ and a bit too big.

She is an awesome dog!