Drinking calories in beer

Options

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    *** Then I realized that my quality of life suffered greatly, so I started drinking again*** Wow this sounds really sad! I probably average drinking alcohol once a month so can't have any input here, apologies!

Please don't be insulting toward other MFP users. You are not better than anyone because you drink less beer.

Beer drinking is part of many cultures, and some times even religious ceremony.

I love German beer and I am a home-brewer, so I try to look up the calories online and log them. I've never seen a beer have 400-500 calories before though.

We have a discussion group every Wednesday that directly involves drinking beer and reading old poetry. I feel you on the quality of life. 1-2 Beers a week for me bare minimum.

That group is my therapist/religion/social construct/friends/passion, and beer just makes it all the more relaxing, sets the mood, etc...
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I used to drink all day every day... yeah I was an alcoholic. Then I stopped drinking all together & my quality of life improved heaps. Why do you feel that yours didn't when you stopped? Why is it that you NEED to drink in order to make your QoL better? Kinda backwards.

I don't care if ppl drink or not, that's their choice. But to put it down as "my quality of life suffered greatly" then I think it's time to look for other ways to make your life better. That's EXACTLY how I used to think, right before I'd open a bottle of Jack & drink the lot.

an alcoholic never says "i WAS an alcoholic."

I call bull****.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I cycle my calories, and intake a surplus on days that I lift, so I try to keep my alcohol intake out of my lifting days whenever I can maintain the willpower to do so, because having alcohol available in your system will almost entirely stop your body from burning fat for energy. That having been said, I'd rather be a little soft in the center than eternally sober.

Right on. I like to exercise hard before a wild night out. I truely believe if you do, you're more like to to metabolize faster. No proof. Just Unverifiable Personal Gnosis.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    is giving up drinking really not worth your health? and its bringing the quality of your life down? you really need a new perspective on life my friend, or you need to get your *kitten* to some AA meetings, because honestly, keep up bad habits like that and you'll never be healthy

You're misinformed. Alcohol is demonized in American culture because it's abused. In many cultures beer and wine are food staples. Historians theorize some civilizations wouldn't have survived winter if not for the nutritional value of wine and beer.

:drinker:
  • ktweld
    ktweld Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    :happy: When I was in my 20's - I went from a size 8 to a 2 and was drinking way too much (no not alcholic daily but weekend girls nights) but I think I lost because we were at dance clubs and spent hours on the dance floor. Next week, I have a big party to attend and it will be my first since I started MFP (and I am now way past my 20's and way past a size 8) so I am going to try and exercize that morning really well to add calories to that evenings festivities so I can have a couple cosmo's.
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the plan. You need nutrients for good health... for your heart, brain, vital organs. BEER does not contain the daily nutritional requirements. I say... stop drinking beer...... because.... a) sounds like alcoholism...ie when you HAVE to have a drink....... b)... you are not eating the proper balance of vitamins, nutrients, etc. for overall good health.. c).. you will look better, feel better, smell better eating a healthy diet and curb the drinking. ..... .... ( :bigsmile:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I disagree with the plan. You need nutrients for good health... for your heart, brain, vital organs. BEER does not contain the daily nutritional requirements. I say... stop drinking beer...... because.... a) sounds like alcoholism...ie when you HAVE to have a drink....... b)... you are not eating the proper balance of vitamins, nutrients, etc. for overall good health.. c).. you will look better, feel better, smell better eating a healthy diet and curb the drinking. ..... .... ( :bigsmile:

That is not true. Beer contains (including but not limited to):

Protein, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Niacin, Folate

It's far healthier than Coke, Pepsi, Kool-aid or other sugary drinks.
  • steven_goldilocks
    Options
    Balance. That's all there is to it. Balance your intake to allow you to indulge (in appropriate amounts) in the things you love. Otherwise you'll go crazy. Beer is not the enemy: too much beer is the enemy, the same as too much cheese or too much fish or too much cucumber* is the enemy. We all ended up here because we consumed too much of something. Figure out what gives you a balanced day and work out how to fit the beer in while protecting a decent balance of macro- and micro-nutrients. You may have to exercise more or drink less, but that's not a bad thing if you're drinking because you enjoy it. It IS a bad thing if you're drinking because you have to, in which case I'd suggest you have larger problems that you should address.

It's not rocket surgery. It's just planning and thinking and a little self-discipline.

Although I would suggest that every now and then you have a clear week where you don't drink any alcohol, mainly because if you find you can't go without for a week you know you've got a problem.

*Anyone who thinks too much cucumber isn't that bad should try eating a whole one in a single sitting and see what it does to their digestive system. Seriously. It's unpleasant.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I used to drink all day every day... yeah I was an alcoholic. Then I stopped drinking all together & my quality of life improved heaps. Why do you feel that yours didn't when you stopped? Why is it that you NEED to drink in order to make your QoL better? Kinda backwards.

I don't care if ppl drink or not, that's their choice. But to put it down as "my quality of life suffered greatly" then I think it's time to look for other ways to make your life better. That's EXACTLY how I used to think, right before I'd open a bottle of Jack & drink the lot.

an alcoholic never says "i WAS an alcoholic."

I call bull****.

One that has not touched a drop in 3 years does. WAS is past tense. Call the Bulls*** you want, but I know what I'm talking about cause I HAVE been there. I WAS meant I GAVE UP.... cold turkey...... you try it.....then come back & say bull****
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    And, so it wouldn't need to be a crazy high calorie variety of beer to account for 1000 calories.

Yes, obviously. Why did you respond to my post with that statement when it had nothing to do with that? We were discussing the calories in guinness.
    I thought people were wondering how /why "two" beers would have 1000 calories and whether that amount would be typical of a dark beer. I'm sorry if it bothered you thst I quoted your post. I didn't mean anything negative by it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    And, so it wouldn't need to be a crazy high calorie variety of beer to account for 1000 calories.

Yes, obviously. Why did you respond to my post with that statement when it had nothing to do with that? We were discussing the calories in guinness.
    I thought people were wondering how /why "two" beers would have 1000 calories and whether that amount would be typical of a dark beer. I'm sorry if it bothered you thst I quoted your post. I didn't mean anything negative by it.

Its calories based on alcohol content. So a beer with higher ABV would be more.The color (SRM) doesn't really matter.
    Look at a Belgium double vs a triple.

I usually go with 250 calories per craft beer,
  • Bullittgal
    Options
    I think if you love something, giving it up completely isn't going to work long-term. You have to fit it back into your life when you are ready. Sounds like you've already found your balance!
    [/quote]

This is so true! It's not a "DIET", it's a "LIVE-IT." You are training yourself to eat healthier and get more exercise. As a benefit to those changes, you will lose weight and become more fit!

Wine is my indulgence, but when I started this process a month ago and began logging everything I eat I realized I was drinking 600-800 calories a day. I just cut way back and plan those calories into my daily intake. If I go a bit over one day, I walk a little farther the next.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a scary thing sometimes because you don't even realize there is a problem. I wouldn't want to give up my coffee, but my cup of coffee daily still isn't as damaging as someone making room daily for alcoholic content in their diet.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I am an alcoholic.

I drank 18+ beers every day for over 8 years.

Now, i know to lose weight, i have to stop, so i decided to allow myself one cheat day every week. Saturdays are my cheat day. My diary is open. Feel free to look!

I drink beer (18 most Saturdays, sometimes more, sometimes less) and because i stay on track the rest of the week, i do fine, lose weight and im happy!! Ive been at it 85 days and ive lost 25.5 pounds. =)

I dont eat green.. i eat everything i did before, but i use portion control. Its as simple as that!

I wish you great success & would love to have you as a friend if you would like!

Wow Evilone! I just read your profile and I'm very impressed at your determination! I'm also blown away at your honesty, and happy your cheat day is working for you so well! Congratulations, keep up the good work, and don't listen to naysayers because clearly, what you are doing is working for YOU!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    is giving up drinking really not worth your health? and its bringing the quality of your life down? you really need a new perspective on life my friend, or you need to get your *kitten* to some AA meetings, because honestly, keep up bad habits like that and you'll never be healthy

You're misinformed. Alcohol is demonized in American culture because it's abused. In many cultures beer and wine are food staples. Historians theorize some civilizations wouldn't have survived winter if not for the nutritional value of wine and beer.

:drinker:

All these people who are hammering this guy because he says his quality of life was lacking need to remember one thing. And that is, whatever THEIR weakness is. We all have one. And did anyone read the article I quoted from the OP above? It's really interesting!
  • debbiekuhn123
    debbiekuhn123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a bottle of wine every night, I went through some horendous things in the last 2 yrs (not using that as an excuse) but it was the only thing for me at the time to get me through a day..

I am now drinking 1 bottle every 3 days, I include it into my calories that way i dont binge drink.
  • vincev81
    Options
    Ben Franklin is often misquoted as having said "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy", but the sentiment is true.

One of the best things about MFP is that you can easily see trade-offs and made better decisions. Want to drink a couple of light beers? Go for a 30 minute walk to burn off the calories. Want to drink 2 'real' beers? Walk for an hour.

Or you easily see thay you can drink 2 Amstels for 190 calories or 2 Sierra Nevadas for 360 and save 170 calories. Better data lets you make better decisions so you can achieve your goals. It is that old adage "what gets measured is what gets done."
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I picked up Guinness and vanilla ice cream at the store today. I'm going to have a Guinness float! Yummmmmmmmmmmm:bigsmile:
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I picked up Guinness and vanilla ice cream at the store today. I'm going to have a Guinness float! Yummmmmmmmmmmm:bigsmile:

why is there not a Guinness float in my life right at this moment

share?
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an avalanche of opinions! Thanks to all who bothered to take the time to respond! I love how the thread has evolved to issues far beyond the simple question of how to deal with the calories in beer!

First of all, I’d like to say that I have not been offended by any of the responses. I don’t think anyone was trolling, and everyone said what they thought was truly relevant.

To those who were overly critical, just one question - is it sad that we hang out at My Fitness Pal? Clearly, we’re all here because we have a weight problem. Let’s assume that I drink beer because I am an alcoholic. Is it more sad than someone who can’t resist a chocolate cake, or potato chips, or someone who binges on a regular basis? Or someone who is overweight because of a disease?

To those who don’t drink - more power to you. To those who don’t drink any longer - you clearly quit because you had a problem. Again, more power to you. And to those who found a way to drink and lose weight - congratulations to the best of both worlds!

Drinking is demonised because in many cases it leads to personal destruction. But drinking in moderation is not only harmless - it’s beneficial to one’s health. This forum mostly deals with eating disorders. Food is not deadly, but it is harmful in large quantities, which is an uncanny analogy with alcohol. Yet so many people who are trying to moderate their food intake are condemning those who try to moderate their alcohol intake. How ironic!

Either way, I learned a few things, made a few friends, enjoyed the conversation, and even got someone to pray for me. Coudn’t’ve asked for more!