Push Up Challenge Anyone?

Options
Who is up for a push up challenge for October. Add 5 to your total each day - full on or modified (or 1 hand for your bad@$$ muthas out there).

Oct 1 - 5
Oct 2 - 10
Oct 3 - 15
Oct 4 - 20
Oct 5 - 25
Oct 6 - 30
Oct 7 - 35
Oct 8 - 40
Oct 9 - 45
Oct 10 - 50
Oct 11 - 55
Oct 12 - 60
Oct 13 - 65
Oct 14 - 70
Oct 15 - 75
Oct 16 - 80
Oct 17 - 85
Oct 18 - 90
Oct 19 - 95
Oct 20 - 100
Oct 21 -105
Oct 22 - 110
Oct 23 - 115
Oct 24 - 120
Oct 25 - 125
Oct 26 - 130
Oct 27 - 135
Oct 28 - 140
Oct 29 - 145
Oct 30 - 150
Oct 31: Eff It: Go eat some candy!

Whos in?

Replies

• JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Anybody down to try? Or any variation thereof- the goal is pushups for October
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Our YMCA is doing a pushup challenge that ends on Oct. 20. Can you give me some pointers on how to get started. I've tried the modified pushup (on my knees) and do OK, but how do I do a full-blown REAL pushup. I don't think I could even do 1. I honestly don't know how to do a pushup.
  • aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Does each goal for the day have to be done all at once or throughout the day?
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I started the hundred push-up training program today [http://hundredpushups.com/]. There is no way I could increase my reps as fast as you have them listed here, but the program is designed to build strength efficiently. Does that count? :smile:
  • stevenwe
    Options
    i think adding 5 a day is too tough
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When u add 5 a day it's not too much. U have all day to get ur push-ups in. I believe however in doing them every other day so that on the off day muscles have time to recover and build lean muscle. But if u do it that way u could add 10 every other day.
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    Our YMCA is doing a pushup challenge that ends on Oct. 20. Can you give me some pointers on how to get started. I've tried the modified pushup (on my knees) and do OK, but how do I do a full-blown REAL pushup. I don't think I could even do 1. I honestly don't know how to do a pushup.

A couple of ideas:

1) keep up with the modified pushups until you can do more than 15 or 20 without getting winded or have muscle failure. As you are able to do more modified, you will be building the strength your arms and chest need to do a full push up

2) Try a negative push up: thats where you start at the top of a push up (not modified) and then lower your self down for a 5 or 10 count. As soon as you reach the floor, boost yourself up and do it again. I did this type of work a bunch of times in order to be able to do pull ups
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    Does each goal for the day have to be done all at once or throughout the day?

I'm planning on doing mine in groups throughout the day. Just as long as I get them all in!
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    I started the hundred push-up training program today [http://hundredpushups.com/]. There is no way I could increase my reps as fast as you have them listed here, but the program is designed to build strength efficiently. Does that count? :smile:

Absolutely. I did the onehundredpushups program a year ago, and I want to do it again, with a little extra for fun. So yeah! Just as longs as it is pushing up!
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    When u add 5 a day it's not too much. U have all day to get ur push-ups in. I believe however in doing them every other day so that on the off day muscles have time to recover and build lean muscle. But if u do it that way u could add 10 every other day.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I am going to start with 5 per day, and if that's too much, I may switch to 10 ever other day. But 150 total by the end of October!
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    i think adding 5 a day is too tough

Maybe, maybe not...I'll be writing about this on my blog and we'll find out!
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm in,
    But I am going to modify mine. and start at 50 a day and add 10 per day there after.
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    I'm in,
    But I am going to modify mine. and start at 50 a day and add 10 per day there after.

Awesome! I'd love to have a ton of people doing pushups all of october - and then we take pictures of us all eating our favorite candy bar on the 31st!
  • jmatthews75
    Options
    I will skip the candy bar on the 31st and shoot for a thousand pushups that day. just to get the point across. I have done 500 in a night at work before, I was kinda sore that day. but I will do the October challenge, its the challenges that keep me on track.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This is tough, I'm up to 30 in a row. Doing a push-up challenge right now to reach 40 in a row
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    I will skip the candy bar on the 31st and shoot for a thousand pushups that day. just to get the point across. I have done 500 in a night at work before, I was kinda sore that day. but I will do the October challenge, its the challenges that keep me on track.

Nice! Im the same!
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    This is tough, I'm up to 30 in a row. Doing a push-up challenge right now to reach 40 in a row

Nice work! Feel free to join up for this one. It'll be fun!
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I had to take today off bc my arms are like jello!
  • jmatthews75
    Options
    I tend to do sets of 25, but I will push right through and get the 50 on day one. maybe 60 on day two, after that, I will start doing sets. don't want to get crazy.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Use the 100 pushups programme? There's even a free phone app...