Cheap date.

Options

Replies

• hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Go pumpkin picking and carve jack-o-lanterns!

This.. hyperfang has cool ideas... listen to him.
    Too cool! I never cared if a guy spent a lot on me. It's the thought and how much fun you have!
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    that seems like a fun idea! i never carved pumpkins before though so it might be some good lulz
  • thebeltfits
    Options
    I have dated very wealthy men and the best times were the times we were sitting in a quiet cafe and just talking.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It's a negative mark on a guys character to Not pay on a date, ESP the first one.

:noway: Seriously? If he offers, I will accept and say thank you so as not to hurt his pride. But it's the EXPECTING him to pay part that bothers me here...With that logic, shouldn't he also be expecting you to put out because he spent a few bucks? I much prefer being equals just getting to know one another but maybe that's just me...

I agree with you. I've always split the bill. I had one guy who wouldn't let me. I'm not gonna fight over it, but never expected or even asked. I just did it. Why should he pay if we are both out having fun?
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the previous posters. Coffee and a walk will be a good way to get to know each other without the pressure of a fancy dinner. Going over the top on a first date isn't a good idea in my opinion.

I know for the first date with my current BF I offered to pay but he insisted on paying. I thought that was very nice of him, although I would have paid. After the first few dates he finally let me split the bill with him :P
  • juiletflt
    Options
    Finding a creative way to spend time together makes a longer lasting impression than just spending a lot of money on her. Go to a pumpkin patch together to pick out pumpkins, then carve them. Pack a picnic and find a beautiful place to go together. Go to a museum together. Go for a drive together to look at the fall colors. Doing an activity together allows you to get to know each other on a different level. If she is just interested in an expensive date, then maybe she is not the right girl. Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you shouldn't spend much on a first date. Looks like you're trying to hard and trying to put her in your "debt". Like gift-giving, there's a real art to figuring out what and how much to spend. And selecting something that shows you put thought into it and what she likes allows you to pick something even less expensive.

Coffee or another snack-type thing rather than a full meal is fine. A picnic, walk in a beautiful or interesting place, a museum or historical spot. Think about what you'd show a friend from out-of-town. Also consider going to a college event, local, amateur comedy club, music school recital -- all of which can have fairly cheep admission. A day-time date is great for a first one. And if it goes well and you have a second date, consider things you can do together. Does she like dancing? Movies, amateur plays or musical events are great, but they have the disadvantage that unless you do something else as well, you don't get to talk and know each other better.

Enjoy!
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    if u had gotten my numner i'm easy allu would have to to is take me to the zoo or the fair and i would be happy i dont need flowers or an expensive meal if my man cared enough to take me somewhere like i said a matiness (they are cheap) the zoo or the fair are also cheap as long as he takes me somewhere
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous poster. If you're that broke, dating should not be a priority. Maybe it's not the right time to date right now. Whether we like it or not, dating is about getting to know someone and occasionally spending some money....
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I am not trolling....

I really did get someone's number, and I really have no money...

Don't sweat it.

A picnic, would work. However, keep in mind having lunch is an easy way to get yourself into the "friend zone"
    You don't need to do dinner/movie or even dinner. ... maybe and art museum or something after 7 p.m.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It's a negative mark on a guys character to Not pay on a date, ESP the first one.

:noway: Seriously? If he offers, I will accept and say thank you so as not to hurt his pride. But it's the EXPECTING him to pay part that bothers me here...With that logic, shouldn't he also be expecting you to put out because he spent a few bucks? I much prefer being equals just getting to know one another but maybe that's just me...

I agree with you. I've always split the bill. I had one guy who wouldn't let me. I'm not gonna fight over it, but never expected or even asked. I just did it. Why should he pay if we are both out having fun?
    So happy to hear women saying that. I once got blasted pretty hard for saying that one shouldn't expect the guy to pay on the first date ... and that if they expect it he's not out of line for expecting her to put out. Obviously I was making a point through hyperbole, but you know.

Anyway, glad to see there are people out there with a soul.

Oh, and also, $40-50 is way more than enough for a first date. You shouldn't spend more than $30 on a first date, unless you have it to spend.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    A very young guy living with his parents finishing school between jobs (jobless) with no funds. Sounds like a stressful situation once she falls for you.

I'm sorry but I have to agree ^

If you guys hit it off and get into a relationship, financial problems, not being able to go out, etc.. might put a dent on you alls relationship. :(
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Ok I apologize. But if you're THAT broke, what do you think you can bring to this table at this point? Why not wait until you're more on your feet to date?

really?!!!! seriously, give the guy a break!!!

if she isnt a gold digger, i'm sure she'll appreciate a coffee / casual date.

personally i wouldnt like a guy asking me over to his place on a first date. it could suggest he wants to sleep with you and make some moves. also not easy to escape if things get awkward.

i second the bowling walk in a park idea - fun and easy going :smile:
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Ok I apologize. But if you're THAT broke, what do you think you can bring to this table at this point? Why not wait until you're more on your feet to date?

Maybe it is temporary?
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden, AYCE Salad + Breadsticks.
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Buy a cup of coffee and take a walk somewhere scenic together. The point is to get to know one another, not to spend a fortune.

I second this suggestion. Having a nice chat over coffee is a perfect first date.
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options

How about important things like personality, kindess, compassion...do you really think there is nothing to "bring to the table" other than money?
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How about you ask your date if she would like to go for a picnic / to the movies / bowling / etc.? Every woman is different, and I, for example, would hate to go bowling on a first date. But your girl might like it. You might be picking the wrong thing if you don't ask her, and ruin your chances.
  • halfretird
    halfretird Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Look online in your area and see whats happening..alot of times in our area we have free concerts and other free festivals this time of the year.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options

There is more to dating someone than the amount of money they're earning. When I first started dating my boyfriend he had literally no money. He worked his *kitten* off at a company he and his friend had together but there wasn't any income after paying for all of the bills. I was the only one making money and spent everything to visit him (9 hours away, at least twice a month) but he did things for me that didn't cost money.

3 years later, we live in luxury apartments together, we both have really nice cars, phones, electronics, nice bank accounts.. He has a great paying job, making three times what I make, and I am finishing school up and working full time at an "ok" paying job.. And next year this time we'll be buying a home together.There is more to life/dating than money. If I had disregarded him because of his financial status at the time, I wouldn't have this amazing life that I have with him.. If the girl is worth it, she won't care about his finances at this very moment if he is working to better his life...

I say coffee and a walk for sure. That is the type of date my boyfriend and I go on now, even though we can afford much more. It's the simple things in life.