Eating over 900 calories too hard?!

Options

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Thank you sobmch everybody! I've never gotten so many replies this fast on a forum. Well I am 5'1''. Although I realize I'm not overweight, I think for being so young I should be not only skinnier but living a healthier life. Since I hit puberty I haven't been able to wear a skirt in public.
    Sadly I can't buy peanut butter as I'm not from the US but all the other advice is great. Thank you.
    If your goal is to be healthier, focus on that. It's not what you originally asked for, but I suggest focussing on nutrition and exercise. At your age and weight it's important to begin healthy habits rather than temporary diets that will result in short-term results, yo-yo dieting and a body in worse shape than you began.
    Why can't you wear skirts? If you don't think your legs are shapely, you'll do much better with exercise than undereating, which will result in flabby sticks.
    Being malnourished can lead to long-term health issues. Are you getting enough calcium and iron? B vitamins? What kinds of physical activity do you do regularly? Your body needs enough fuel to develop properly. I think it's smart of you to realize that at this point you should be "not only skinnier but living a healthier life". Asking someplace like here is a start, but be aware that you'll be getting answers from both knowledgeable people who have studied and learned how to be healthier and from people following the latest fad with no understanding of the harm it could do. Read with care.
    Good luck!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hehe - I love how people are so shocked at the idea of not being able to buy peanut butter, as if it's a worldwide staple food! :-)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    It's really quite simply....without stuffing yourself you COULD DO THE FOLLOWING:

4 oz nuts for breakfast -- 640 calories

2 oz cheese for lunch -- 200 calories

2 tbsp peanut butter and a banana for dinner --300 calories

oh and then snacks:

1 apple --100 calories

1 oz dark chocolate -150 calories

GRAND TOTAL: 1390 CALORIES. Oh em gee. And guess what? You could eat ALL OF THAT IN A SITTING and not be too full.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY GOOD ADVICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.......................
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It's really quite simply....without stuffing yourself you COULD DO THE FOLLOWING:

4 oz nuts for breakfast -- 640 calories

2 oz cheese for lunch -- 200 calories

2 tbsp peanut butter and a banana for dinner --300 calories

oh and then snacks:

1 apple --100 calories

1 oz dark chocolate -150 calories

GRAND TOTAL: 1390 CALORIES. Oh em gee. And guess what? You could eat ALL OF THAT IN A SITTING and not be too full.

exactly. and this is all "snack food"... i think people have a mental block of not wanting to add calorie dense foods in their diet. get past the mental block and start buying some higher fat items! :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Eat some calorie dense foods like nuts or nut butters, avocado, etc. There are plenty of health foods that are high in calories- incorporate a few into your diet.

Since you are so petite, I would also highly recommend adding some strength training into your routine. That will likely get you to the body you want faster, than just trying to get to 100lbs. You may weigh more, but you'll get that long and lean look so many women want.
  • juuliv
    juuliv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    woah wait where doesnt have peanut butter!?
    tbh thats my only point on this.. otherwise i echo the calorie dense food :)

In Argentina where I live :( no peanut butter.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Hey Juulv,

I hear you on upping calories. You don't have to go from 900 to 1200 the first day. Add 50, then add 100, then add 150 till you get to the right amount.

I find adding more lean protein and greek yogurt and avocados . I also add an apple. I don't buy into just eating stuff because you need "x" amount of calories.

I have added other healthy stuff to get to my daily calories - chia seed, more oat bran. I add them in 1/2 serving increments, like a teaspoon vs a tablespoon. Daily servings are based on a 2000 calories a day, not 1200 .....

Also, if you want to look long and lean, try the same exercises ballerinas do - many free ones on you tube "barre" . Yoga and Pilates as well. (sorry if you are already doing these).

Hope you get happy and on the right path at your young age! I threw out everything I knew and started over again last december - and I am 53!
    Options
    I just wanted to add--there's no GOOD reason for you to have 100 pounds as your goal weight. nor is there any good reason that at 18 years old you'd be eating less than 1500 calories (sedentary) and more when you workout.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Hehe - I love how people are so shocked at the idea of not being able to buy peanut butter, as if it's a worldwide staple food! :-)

^^^I think I would gag eating a spoonful of peanut butter.

Also, I highly suggest eating 2-3 servings of _wild alaskan salmon_ , even canned, a week. I recommend this to all women, actually. It's one of the few ways to get a healthy dose of D.

when I was 17/18, I was eating at least one healthy meal a day, and then graze when I had a chance at least 3xs a day, and it was still hard to meet 1200 cals a day!

I cannot fathom eating 900+ cals in one meal and not feeling very ill.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna give you some of what my juvenile delinquents call "REAL TALK":

Your profile says you want to be healthy. In what warp zone does eating 900 calories sound healthy? I can't stand it when people say they can't eat over X number of calories... Eat the granola bar you cut out. Drink some juice. Eat a scoop of ice cream.

I KNOW I don't have to reply, but I am kind of OVER being nice and/or ignoring. As someone with actual work to do on here to lose weight, this **** just rubs me the wrong way. Go to a doctor and get a healthy weight recommendation. If it is a psychological thing, which I assume it is whenever someone tells me they CAN'T eat over X number of calories, see a therapist.

^^^ Love this answer. Looking at your photo on your profile I see a beautiful perfect girl. If you think you are too heavy to wear skirts the above poster is right. You need to see a therapist. It is sad that someone so beautiful thinks there is something wrong with her.

If you plan to say "I don't want to eat junk, I want to "eat clean." Well juice is "clean." Drink some. Problem solved.

This is why I preface ALL of my friends requests with "I am blunt and honest." People don't really want the truth, they want nonsense.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    At 5'1 and 100 lbs you would be in the healthy range for BMI, but you would just barely be in there. You may consider reassessing your goal as you lose if you begin finding it hard to sit down comfortably or find that you get too cold easily. The BMI range is a guide, not a guarantee. Some very small framed people are more comfortable at lower weights, but some others are unhealthy at the same weight.

You can also eat 1200 + calories and lose weight to get to your goal of 100 lbs. I know this for sure. Follow MFP's program and add in your exercise calories. See how it goes and make adjustments as needed. I really recommend following the program; at your weight, you probably look great and don't need to rush the loss.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No reason to eat processed food to hit your goal.
    Nuts - a handful is a good boost of calories.
    Use almond flour instead of wheat flour and you will double the calories at least.
  • juuliv
    juuliv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't mind getting answers that are "not nice". I appreciate all of your advice. You're helping m to realize my goal may be too low. I'm going to really consider it. I swear I'm not going for the skin and bones look. I used to very skinny naturally. My mom is very skinny too.
    As for my breakfast and routine I basically only have coffee with milk and sugar before I leave home since I have to wake up at 5am and travel 2 hours to my university. Then at 10 am I have some kind of snack. I really don't have much time to work out.

It's good to know that there are people out there with the same problem who understand
    Options
    I don't mind getting answers that are "not nice". I appreciate all of your advice. You're helping m to realize my goal may be too low. I'm going to really consider it. I swear I'm not going for the skin and bones look. I used to very skinny naturally. My mom is very skinny too.
    As for my breakfast and routine I basically only have coffee with milk before I leave home since I have o wake up at 5am and travel 2 hours to my university. Then at 10 am I have some kind of snack. I really don't have much time to wok out.

"used to be" ...you're 18. you were a baby. a pre-pubescent teenager or BARELY coming into womanhood. your body is STILL changing. how about eating breakfast? A real one. If you don't have time then pack it and eat it on the way. The excuses aren't helping you any.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    As for my breakfast and routine I basically only have coffee with milk before I leave home since I have o wake up at 5am and travel 2 hours to my university. Then at 10 am I have some kind of snack. I really don't have much time to wok out.

Can you pack foods? Also, a quick 5 min. cardio a few times a day will help. Walk faster when you walk and just flexing (hold your muscle flexed for a 10 count, relax, repeat) muscles when you're commuting can help also, especially your abs.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options

You could do simple quick exercises, like 10 push-ups in the morning, and hold a plank for a minute. If you get a kettlebell, you can do a few kettlebell swings every morning too - that doesn't take long. And it gives you more energy to get through the day - a long commute early in the morning can be tiring, so extra energy is always a good thing.
    Options
    I love how people are giving weight loss advice to a 116 pound, 18 year old girl who is eating 900 calories and saying she can't eat more.

Please see a doctor about your unhealthy behaviors and your weight loss goals. That is the best advice I can give.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    100 lb is NOT unreasonable for a person who is very petite. At 5'2" and an extremely tiny build (narrow hips and ribs, small hands, feet, wrists, and ankles), I appear very healthy at 100lb. I appear overweight at 120lb. Both are considered within "healthy" range for my height.

It's very difficult for a petite person to be thin. There is a fine line between eating enough to be nutritionally healthy and eating little enough to lose the extra inches that very few pounds show as.

Average-to-large people do not understand how difficult this is for small people and need to stop being hateful. Every person comes with their own hurdles to overcome. A lifelong obese person has to deal with their food addiction. A much-below-average-size person has to deal with gaining weight on what a "normal" person would lose weight on.

Don't be a ****.
    Options
    100 lb is NOT unreasonable for a person who is very petite. At 5'2" and an extremely tiny build (narrow hips and ribs, small hands, feet, wrists, and ankles), I appear very healthy at 100lb. I appear overweight at 120lb. Both are considered within "healthy" range for my height.

It's very difficult for a petite person to be thin. There is a fine line between eating enough to be nutritionally healthy and eating little enough to lose the extra inches that very few pounds show as.

Average-to-large people do not understand how difficult this is for small people and need to stop being hateful. Every person comes with their own hurdles to overcome. A lifelong obese person has to deal with their food addiction. A much-below-average-size person has to deal with gaining weight on what a "normal" person would lose weight on.

Don't be a ****.

If you're referring to me...I actually DO UNDERSTAND...I'm only 4'11 and wouldn't DREAM OF STARVING MYSELF to lose 16 pounds...especially not as an 18 year old when my metabolism is on fire. The "A much-below-average-size person has to deal with gaining weight on what a "normal" person would lose weight on" is just bullsh!t. Sorry. Been there, done that. It's an excuse and it's unhealthy.