Eating over 900 calories too hard?!

Options

Replies

• juuliv
    juuliv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't mind getting answers that are "not nice". I appreciate all of your advice. You're helping m to realize my goal may be too low. I'm going to really consider it. I swear I'm not going for the skin and bones look. I used to very skinny naturally. My mom is very skinny too.
    As for my breakfast and routine I basically only have coffee with milk before I leave home since I have o wake up at 5am and travel 2 hours to my university. Then at 10 am I have some kind of snack. I really don't have much time to wok out.

Can you pack foods? Also, a quick 5 min. cardio a few times a day will help. Walk faster when you walk and just flexing (hold your muscle flexed for a 10 count, relax, repeat) muscles when you're commuting can help also, especially your abs.

Thank you. As for your question no I can't pack food for my trips, it's hard to explain but the train and bus I have to take here are so crowded you can barely get in there. You can barely breathe. It's hard to explain because I don't know if that happens anywhere else.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Just as an aside..these are the calorie recommendations for a 116 pound female with 22% body fat trying to get to 100 pounds.

Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1556
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1783
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2010
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2237
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2464

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

WITHOUT exercise she should be eating 1556 calories. So all of you people advocating a diet that is 58% of what she should be eating ought to be ashamed of yourselves. This is absurd.

Again..she's a TEENAGER and she's 116 pounds. What don't you get about that? If she was your daughter and basically eating the equivalent of 2 pb&j sandwiches a day would you step in or let her do it?
  • bulldogmom99
    Options
    I need support doing this I seem to be getting off track all the time and need help staying on this as I wanna drop some of this weight I have. Please feel free to add me as a friend and I will do the same on my end.
  • odiani724
    Options
    this was an awesome post. Thanks. While I know i should get around 1200 calories. I know that once in awhile it would not hurt me to under that. and that is what you are saying. but also thanks for pointing out that regularilly been under that should be done under doctor care.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me want to punch babies! Such irresponsible BS advice being spewed! Eat more dang it!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Thank you sobmch everybody! I've never gotten so many replies this fast on a forum. Well I am 5'1''. Although I realize I'm not overweight, I think for being so young I should be not only skinnier but living a healthier life. Since I hit puberty I haven't been able to wear a skirt in public.
    Sadly I can't buy peanut butter as I'm not from the US but all the other advice is great. Thank you.

You can't wear a skirt? Hun, honestly go eat some real food, eat your calories, and yes, see your doctor so you can get a realistic goal in a realistic time frame. You CAN wear a skirt. Lots of people much heavier than you wear skirts. ;)
  • juuliv
    Options
    Everyone, I don't know where you're from but I recently travelled to the US and it was unbelievable his caloric meals there are. Everytime I went out for dinner the portions were insanely huge and everything was just really filing and full of fat. U could barely eat half of my plates. I think we're not used to eating much where I'm from.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Can you get Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread) in Argentina? It's a decent substitute for peanut butter/
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why is there such a focus on peanut butter? What about simply eating peanuts? And other nuts too.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why is there such a focus on peanut butter? What about simply eating peanuts? And other nuts too.

exactly... do you have NUTS there?? it's very easy to make your own nut butter.

or cook in oils. one tbsp of olive oil is 120 calories. add avocado to salads. half of one is 138 calories. add cheese, bacon... not that hard :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    can't be serious

(Oh, c'mon. You've been here long enough to at least entertain the possibility (although I would call it a likelihood) that this is indeed serious.)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

It's just easy for people who have it available. You can put it in oatmeal, shakes, dip apples in it--very easy source of healthy calories.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Deep-fried butter.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, so I added avocado and nuts. They are loaded with calories hahaha
  • opuntia
    Options

It's just easy for people who have it available. You can put it in oatmeal, shakes, dip apples in it--very easy source of healthy calories.

I guess. I suppose I just find nuts easier and quicker - I can just eat a handful of nuts without any preparation or adding them to anything.
  • opuntia
    Options
    I had the same problem, so I added avocado and nuts. They are loaded with calories hahaha

Avocado and brazil nuts are a delicious combination! :-)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Everyone, I don't know where you're from but I recently travelled to the US and it was unbelievable his caloric meals there are. Everytime I went out for dinner the portions were insanely huge and everything was just really filing and full of fat. U could barely eat half of my plates. I think we're not used to eating much where I'm from.
    Yes, it is different in different places. I'm in the US and can't eat even 1/3 of some restaurant meals. (And I don't have trouble eating 1,500 calories a day.) When eating in a different place it's very hard to know how to adjust. I know someone who went to Peru, where the diet is normally lighter, but because of the changes in what she ate and exercise, she gained. So, it works both ways.
    if you can't eat on the train or bus, how about taking a quick snack for once you get there before classes? A piece of fruit, some nuts, an energy bar (if they don't have them there, look for recipes). Someone your age normally needs more "healthy" fats than an older person. To repeat some of the suggestions, avocado, nuts, fattier fish (tuna, salmon, anchovies), whole breads, eggs, butter and lots of vegetables, some fruits and if it doesn't bother your digestion, dairy. Milk or cheese has calcium and other things you need now if you want to avoid having fragile bones when you're older.
    You'll have to pick and choose which advice here will work in your situation, but don't dismiss it without thinking about it. For instance, you may not be able to join a gym, but there are many ways to get exercise... walk one bus stop and get on or off at the next stop. Walk more on your campus. Do a few exercises at various times during the day. Even something as simple as marching in place provides some exercise. Remember, when you exercise, you need to eat even more. Do you like to go dancing with your friends?
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I weighed around 102 lb at one stage. I became very ill, had lank hair, constant sickness and had awful skin.
    Why anyone (unless they are about 4ft tall) would want to weight that little is beyond me.
    In all honest you are at a perfect weight.
    Please don't risk your health by focussing on a number.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that adding in avocado, dairy, and nuts is an easy way to boost calories.

I also wanted to suggest that it may be easier for you to just focus on increasing activity/strength training than trying to limit calories. I'm saying this as someone who is just over 5' and was just over 100 pounds in college... and thought I needed to lose weight. I realize now (when I unfortunately DO have lots of weight to lose!) that what I really needed to do back then was to learn how to eat healthier and to focus on exercise/toning. I probably would have ended up weighing more... but been smaller and in much better shape! Just something to think on... I am sure there are some people on here who can help with that as well. I know I have seen some amazing pics during my time here of ladies who have not lost weight but lost a lot of inches/gained muscle simply by upping exercise.
  • juuliv
    Options
    Yes I can get Nutella (15 bucks for 26oz!). And I agree I could just have peanuts and. Other nuts instead of the peanut butter I can't get.

On other topic I'm realizing I live in a totally different culture when it comes to food, than most of you. That's why my breakfast issue sounded like an excuse to someone. I don't get in my car and drive to school. I stand (no vacant seats) for 2 hours in a train and then a bus like cows going to the slaughter. I can't have breakfast while commuting. But I know breakfast is the biggest meal in English speaking countries, then you don't pay much attention to lunch which is my biggest meal when I finally get home at 3. And you probably have dinner at my teatime while I have dinner at 10 or 11 pm. My point is we live in very different places. Our eating habits are very different. I don't have any excuses.

Sorry for any mistakes I may have made. English is obviously not my first language.

Thanks melodyg you certainly have a point there.