What's the most efficient exercise to burn cals?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I walk 6 - 7 days a week..and I'm totally losing weight AND BUILDING MUSCLE! I don't have to be in the gym lifting weights or running. You will read a ton of threads that say if you aren't lifting you aren't building to which I call bullsh*t.

Your joking right? I mean about the building muscle part. Of course you do say your a witch so maybe you are casting a spell that makes this happen but if not...you do realize that this is physiologically impossible right?? Right?? Cause if not, you are either one of 2 things. Delusional or a genetic mutant.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    skipping
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    the one that YOU enjoy and gets your heart rate up and gets your @$$ up and moving. A LOT of people on this site seem to be an expert at what exercise is the best..no it's the best for THEM!

I walk 6 - 7 days a week..and I'm totally losing weight AND BUILDING MUSCLE! I don't have to be in the gym lifting weights or running. You will read a ton of threads that say if you aren't lifting you aren't building to which I call bullsh*t.

Well that's lovely for you!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    the one that YOU enjoy and gets your heart rate up and gets your @$$ up and moving. A LOT of people on this site seem to be an expert at what exercise is the best..no it's the best for THEM!

careful, if you walk too much, you're going to get HUGE like how most marathon runners look.
  • shaleasymphony
    shaleasymphony Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i jog in place during t.v commercial breaks. 3 minutes is about 40+ calories burned. do this throughout the day and you'll burn them in no time. plus you get to watch your favorite shows AND doesn't take much effort AND you won't feel guilty about not having time to workout during the day

good luck!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is one of the highest calorie burns you can do in a short amount of time, and is perfectly safe when done correctly. If you have access to a gym, the rowing machine will give you the highest actual calorie burn out of all the cardio equipment.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    steady pace, low impact would have to be stairclimber or treadmill at high incline
  • Mikhay
    Mikhay Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Any sort of High Interval Training is going to be your best bet. Everyone is different though so what works really well for one person might not be as effective to another.

Also, my boyfriend is an MMA fighter and a boxer. You can try doing boxing for an hour. You don't have to be doing it to participate in fights like he does but it really is an amazing workout both as far as cardio is concerned but it burns between 750-1000 calories. It also helps tone your arms, back, butt, and legs. It really is a full body workout and is the best of both worlds.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Been reading, and not all exercises burn the same number of calories. What is the quickest way I can get a meaningful workout in in the least amount of time? I don't have energy enough after work to be bouncing around the living room in front of a video for an hour, and in short order I'd be back to doing nothing.

Any speedy workouts that burn a lot of calories out there?

I don't count exercise calories. The burn is not nearly what they say. I find it best to look at exercise as what you do for your lean body mass and calorie deficit for fat loss. When you have a lot to lose the exercise calories are not significant. As you get leaner than it becomes significant.

I spent many years lifting heavy and running marathon after marathon and still gaining weight. You can not out exercise eating too much. I almost gave up but the calorie deficit and not counting exercise calories worked for me. My full story here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Even now, maintaining at under 12% body fat (My doctor says I'm perfectly healthy and my blood work checked on a regular basis says I'm fine). I am not skinny. I am fit and lean. The healthiest I've ever been at almost 52 years old. Anyway, even now I don't count my exercise calories. I just listen to my body and if I worked out hard and need another 100-300 calories I eat it in the evenings. My body tells me when I need it.
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use my elliptical for about 30-45 minutes a day
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    When I'm very limited on time, I do jumpring jacks, squats and lunges. No equipment needed, and just takes a small bit of space.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Treadmill set at 15 at 3.5 or faster. Burns a lot of calories in a short time and gives you great legs too!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Your joking right? I mean about the building muscle part. Of course you do say your a witch so maybe you are casting a spell that makes this happen but if not...you do realize that this is physiologically impossible right?? Right?? Cause if not, you are either one of 2 things. Delusional or a genetic mutant.

oh oh oh I know I know....it's delusional....right? Considering that to build muscle I have to eat more than 2000 calories for months and lift heavy to hope to build 1 pounds of muscle a month....I say you are not gaining mass by walking and eating at a deficit.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Yeah me too bro, gonna walk my way to first place in a bodybuilding competition
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For me the most efficient and best exercise is one that I like enough to do every day> I have a fitness class that is part social so I have interaction. I also like running so I do that. I started many things and didn't like them as much and stopped doing them
    Find what you like and will do regularly and that is the best for you

This is truth. I started with swimming 2 half hours a week. Then added an hour on Sunday. Then added 2 half hours of stationary bike. Things that don't take a long time (I have to shower and wash my hair anyway, so the swimming really is taking only 1/2 hour out of my life on week nights) and that I love doing (swimming) and didn't mind doing at first but now really enjoy (bike). Find things that fit your schedule and get moving a couple of days a week. You'll find you really start to want to work out after a bit and you'll also like having the extra calories so you don't have to feel deprived while losing.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga (Bikram or hot) burns a ton of calories and it is also really awesome :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    i jog in place during t.v commercial breaks. 3 minutes is about 40+ calories burned. do this throughout the day and you'll burn them in no time. plus you get to watch your favorite shows AND doesn't take much effort AND you won't feel guilty about not having time to workout during the day

good luck!

If you have time to watch TV then you have time to exercise.

Truthfully, the most efficient exercise to burn calories is the one you will do regularly.
  • icjason
    icjason Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The exercise you're inclined to do often is probably the one to go with for a while, using the maxim that "any is better than none." You'll eventually want some variety after a while though to mix it up.

Swimming, x-country skiing, and bicycle riding are right up there and cycling has the advantage of being something one can do for extended periods (and be transportation too!)
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

and there is the expert I was talking about. sorry to disappoint you but A. you obviously know nothing about witchcraft..so not even going to go there with you and B. You also know nothing about the way "MY" body responds to walking. Nice attempt at it though. Kuddos.

*edited to add props to the other experts that chimed in* (eye rolling)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

good luck!

If you have time to watch TV then you have time to exercise.

Truthfully, the most efficient exercise to burn calories is the one you will do regularly.
    Exercise while the show is on... you can do lots of things: jogging in place, marching, lunges, hand weights. Put the TV by your exercise equipment and use it. (No more hanging clothes on the treadmill.) It's true that planks and things are harder. :wink:
    During the commercials, get water, etc.
    The shows are still longer than the commercials, for a little while at least.