Do you like your last name

Options

Replies

• Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I like that I have a unique last name.

However at work I hate being asked by customers several times a day how to pronounce it, then they try to say it and always screw it up. Then they always ask what nationality it is, it gets old since it happens daily. I have considered taking my name plate off my desk!
  • 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    LOVED IT, and then i got married :(
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I love it. Because it comes with great pride. I married the amazing man!
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    Sits back and watches how many women will actually post their last name for some creepy dude on the internet. :noway:
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My last name is rather common and plain...I wouldn't mind it if I didn't associate so much with my father who has never really been around. =(
  • Victoria0046
    Victoria0046 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have two last names. The first one is Sandström. It is Swedish and I love it! The only thing that irritates me is when when people here can´t get that an Ö is not an O. I have even been asked: "But how do you spell it in English..."
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I HATED mine for many reasons (some shallow, others not so) so I changed it to my mother's maiden name for $70.

Why live in misery or wait to get married? I took matters into my own hands!

How did you do that? I have wanted to change my first AND last name for YEARS.
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like it, just hate that nobody pronounces it properly, and even when I say it, then spell it I have people go "ooohh [mispronounce]" - as if I don't know my own name. Not like I've had it for a quarter of a century or anything!
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    THIS!!
    Yes I Love it because it is my husbands name! I am blessed to have such a wonderful loving husband!
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I love my last name! Up until about 2 years ago, I thought my family were the only ones who had it till I got 2 friend requests on facebook simply because we had the same last name, and as far as we know, we aren't related in any way! I also find it amusing that no one can spell my last name right because it's spelled exaclty how it sounds, but people add a dash... add a 'd'... flip letters around... I'll never forget that my elementary school principle still spelled my last name wrong after 6 years there and having a sister AND cousin in the school as well.. Little things like that amuse me sometimes lol
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    My maiden name is Norris. I loved it. My son kept my maiden name and his nickname is Chuck. He was the high school kicker/punter.
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    I'm pretty much screwed all around.

I hate my current last name. Its never pronounced correctly. Not to mention its a regional name so people know I'm not from around here. Its an awful reminder of what my stepdad did and was towards me for so many years.

SO....I also don't want my birth last name either as I don't want to be affiliated with my real dad or what he did either.

I'm not married and not dating anyone so taking someone else's is not in the near future.

And lastly...I don't want my mom's maiden name because Ellis Island butchered it to hell and is ridiculously mispronounced from what it originated from in Slovakia.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No. It's French but no one pronounces it correctly in the French way...not even my extended family. :grumble:

I would happily get rid of it for a common last name like Smith or Anderson.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have the same last name of a quasi famous guy who has a well known meme on the Internet... No I don't lol.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Mine's Polish and 13-letters long. I married last year (to a very common 'Martin') but kept my name, despite it being mispronounced, kicked, pushed, and butchered throughout the years.

It brings me strength and a history to tell to my kids and about my heritage. I love it :-). There's under 20 of us left in the world,even back home in the Motherland, so I'd love to keep it going.
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My last name is Bergbom pronounced berg bomb. Its really simple if you take two seconds to look at it but NO ONE ever gets it right! I hear bergham, bergum, bergebum. Lol. It's amazing how many ways people can screw up 2 simple syllables. I hated in school kids would call me bird bomb. Now that I am grown it doesn't bother me, I just laugh when people say it wrong.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    No. My last name is Belt and it's made for waaay too many stupid jokes. Even my father changed his name. Hopefully I'll get married and get a better last name.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I HATED mine for many reasons (some shallow, others not so) so I changed it to my mother's maiden name for $70.

Why live in misery or wait to get married? I took matters into my own hands!

How did you do that? I have wanted to change my first AND last name for YEARS.

You file a "petition to change name" form with your town's probate court. You get a court date, appear in front of a judge to swear you're not changing it to avoid the Feds and then you're done!
  • HollyAus
    HollyAus Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I loved my maiden name Collins, now my married name gets butchered lol. It's norweigen (not that he is "really" from there) the first half is Aus pronounced OZ

It seemed like every college class the first day it was said *kitten*. Most of the time I was one of the first so when they would say Holly......... I would just say my name, then they would ask me to repeat it lol.

When I did my student teaching all the kids called me Mrs. Aus (as in Mrs. Oz) I really liked that.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    well now yes. my married name is Stephanie Kittleson, so most people call me skittles. I think the nick name fits! Definitely better then my maiden name that sounded like a bad word lol.