White Bread vs Whole Wheat

Options
What is so wrong with white bread? I make PB&J sandwiches with both bread and i dont really like ones i make with whole wheat bread from pepperidge Farm, as apposed to the sandwiches i make with Freihofers premium Italian bread(sliced white bread). i even compare them to the status white bread is 20 calories less than the whole wheat. Is whole wheat bread really all that great? Can someone please tell me what the befits are to switching would be?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only advantage I see it the added fiber. Personally, I go over on my fiber just about every day. PB&J on white bread is also one of my go-to after dinner eats if I haven't had enough calories for the day. It's good stuff.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Wheat berries, which make up flour, have three parts: the bran, the germ and the endosperm. Whole wheat has all three parts while white flour uses only the endosperm. Whole wheat therefore has more nutrients and fiber. White bread is essentially empty calories. Sure you can eat it, it just really has no redeeming quality. Think of it like a can of soda and use it in moderation.
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It has something to do with the glycemic index. Which I believe has something to do with feeling satisfied for longer (less blood sugar spikes).

I'm not the one to really explain that in detail but I'm sure several people on here can. I know there are quite a few benefits. I'm the same way though in that I don't like a lot of wheat bread. I have found a few that I like though. It's about trying different kinds I think.

Also I know sourdough bread is better than white bread.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There no such thing as empty calories.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    White bread spikes your insulin levels more than a snickers bar.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Someone's read Wheat Belly...

As for the topic, you could make an argument whole wheat is no better or worse than white bread due to the anti nutrients found in whole wheat. Personally I'd eat whichever bread I prefer the taste of
  • CymruLucas
    Options
    There no such thing as empty calories.

How so? If empty calories equals a food having calories with little/no micronutrients, than foods like sweets and white bread can be counted as empty calories.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    See I can't eat my tuna salad on wheat. But I loooooove pbj on wheat. Have you tried different ones? Look for the good grains logo. Just cause it says wheat doesnt mean it is better than white. There is something funny about the gimmick/advertising sometimes. My dietician told me to look for the whole grains heart label thing. It too is a gimmick but cant be used by bread that isnt truly whole grain.

From mayoclinic.com
    "When you're selecting any kind of bread, read the label carefully. Choose breads that list "whole" grain as the first ingredient, such as whole wheat, white whole wheat or whole oats. If the label doesn't say "whole" first, it isn't a whole-grain product. For example, a product label may simply say white wheat, which is not the same as white whole-wheat bread."
  • JustJennie1
    Options

As for the topic, you could make an argument whole wheat is no better or worse than white bread due to the anti nutrients found in whole wheat. Personally I'd eat whichever bread I prefer the taste of

Nope. Life Extensions magazine.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Wheat berries, which make up flour, have three parts: the bran, the germ and the endosperm. Whole wheat has all three parts while white flour uses only the endosperm. Whole wheat therefore has more nutrients and fiber. White bread is essentially empty calories. Sure you can eat it, it just really has no redeeming quality. Think of it like a can of soda and use it in moderation.

Not exactly. White bread does have some fiber and it has vitamins.
  • Acg67
    Options

This article?

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_Wheat-The-Unhealthy-Whole-Grain_01.htm
  • JustJennie1
    Options

This article?

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_Wheat-The-Unhealthy-Whole-Grain_01.htm

I don't know. My husband is the one that read it.

Are you a member or did you just Google it? <--- not being snarky. I just don't know that many people who know what LEF is
  • LBachynsky
    Options
    It has something to do with the glycemic index. Which I believe has something to do with feeling satisfied for longer (less blood sugar spikes).

I'm not the one to really explain that in detail but I'm sure several people on here can. I know there are quite a few benefits. I'm the same way though in that I don't like a lot of wheat bread. I have found a few that I like though. It's about trying different kinds I think.

This is correct.
  • Acg67
    Options

This article?

I don't know. My husband is the one that read it.

Are you a member or did you just Google it? <--- not being snarky. I just don't know that many people who know what LEF is

Not a member but familiar with them
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    complex carbs vs simple carbs. Its bad for you because of the way it is made. True it has vitamins but most of it is sucked out in the process. complex carbs are more effeciently used by your body, its natural. Simple carbs will make you feel tired.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

This is correct. Whole what is a complex carbohydrade and the white stuff is a simple carbohydrate. Basically, white bread (and all other white refined things that fall into the simple carb category) cause your blood sugar to spike which results in a release of insulin. Insulin tells your body to store your excess blood sugar - as fat.

There's a book on Amazon you can get free (if you have a kindle or the kindle app on your smart phone or tablet) called Fire up Your Fat burn that explains it very simply.

http://www.amazon.com/FIRE-UP-Super-Strategies-Weight-ebook/dp/B0083BW37G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349119348&sr=8-2&keywords=fire+up+fat+burn

No, both whole wheat bread and white bread are complex carbohydrates.
  • Acg67
    Options

This is correct. Whole what is a complex carbohydrade and the white stuff is a simple carbohydrate. Basically, white bread (and all other white refined things that fall into the simple carb category) cause your blood sugar to spike which results in a release of insulin. Insulin tells your body to store your excess blood sugar - as fat.

There's a book on Amazon you can get free (if you have a kindle or the kindle app on your smart phone or tablet) called Fire up Your Fat burn that explains it very simply.

http://www.amazon.com/FIRE-UP-Super-Strategies-Weight-ebook/dp/B0083BW37G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349119348&sr=8-2&keywords=fire+up+fat+burn

I think you need to do a little more learning about insulin and DNL amongst other things
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    complex carbs vs simple carbs. Its bad for you because of the way it is made. True it has vitamins but most of it is sucked out in the process. complex carbs are more effeciently used by your body, its natural. Simple carbs will make you feel tired.

sucked out? where do they go?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The fact that you don't understand that there's more to food you eat than just calories is the problem here. Whole grain has a significant amount of protein and fiber while white bread does not. It's basically like eating pure sugar with no real redeeming nutrients to compensate for it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread is a slightly more nutritious choice than white bread, but it's not an earth-shattering difference and just because something is better, doesn't make white bread 'bad'. If you're getting the fiber elsewhere, and you don't want to switch, don't. I think the hype about wheat bread is totally overblown. In many cases, it's just brown colored white bread- nutritionally equivalent. In some cases, it's even heavier and more calorific than white bread. And there's higher fiber white bread options if you want to go that route, too. In the end, go with what you like. A slice or two of white bread instead of wheat isn't likely to make a lick of difference in your overall health or weight loss if you're sticking to your macros.

ETA: I LOVE me some PB&J on white bread. It's nostalgic, and no substitute can meet the nostalgic comfort feelings for me.