White Bread vs Whole Wheat

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread is a slightly more nutritious choice than white bread, but it's not an earth-shattering difference and just because something is better, doesn't make white bread 'bad'. If you're getting the fiber elsewhere, and you don't want to switch, don't. I think the hype about wheat bread is totally overblown. In many cases, it's just brown colored white bread- nutritionally equivalent. In some cases, it's even heavier and more calorific than white bread. And there's higher fiber white bread options if you want to go that route, too. In the end, go with what you like. A slice or two of white bread instead of wheat isn't likely to make a lick of difference in your overall health or weight loss if you're sticking to your macros.

ETA: I LOVE me some PB&J on white bread. It's nostalgic, and no substitute can meet the nostalgic comfort feelings for me.

your totally wrong, the reason it is bad is because of the way it is made, it takes out all of the nutrients. Your better off eating pure sugar.

Ummm...no, I'm not. Thanks for your valuable input though.

i suggest a class in biology.
    lolz. Once again, thanks for your valuable input.
    I don't need a degree in biology, I can read Wheat Belly and watch Dr. Oz and google the dangers of refined white flour!

(BTW, if you google the dangers of ANYTHING you will get hits. Getting google hits does not make something true. https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=dangers+alien+invasion+2012&oq=dangers+alien+invasion+2012&gs_l=hp.3..33i29l4.977.8329.0.8682.29.26.1.2.2.1.563.5809.0j17j5j1j0j3.26.0.les;..0.0...1c.1.zox8opDaWNQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=59f8a82582fadeeb&biw=1600&bih=757)
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread is a slightly more nutritious choice than white bread, but it's not an earth-shattering difference and just because something is better, doesn't make white bread 'bad'. If you're getting the fiber elsewhere, and you don't want to switch, don't. I think the hype about wheat bread is totally overblown. In many cases, it's just brown colored white bread- nutritionally equivalent. In some cases, it's even heavier and more calorific than white bread. And there's higher fiber white bread options if you want to go that route, too. In the end, go with what you like. A slice or two of white bread instead of wheat isn't likely to make a lick of difference in your overall health or weight loss if you're sticking to your macros.

ETA: I LOVE me some PB&J on white bread. It's nostalgic, and no substitute can meet the nostalgic comfort feelings for me.

your totally wrong, the reason it is bad is because of the way it is made, it takes out all of the nutrients. Your better off eating pure sugar.

Ummm...no, I'm not. Thanks for your valuable input though.

I don't need a degree in biology, I can watch Dr. Oz

You just ruined your chances of proving any sort of a point.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat SHOULD have a lower glycemic index and fill you up more, but in practice it seems like they just add more sugar to it to make it palatable. If you are just having a couple slices a day, you might as well enjoy whatever kind you like.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Lolz. How exactly does this happen?

refined white flour instead of whole grains

That is supposed to be an answer to my question? Okey dokey then!

try google

You know what, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You have thrown in a bunch of statements with absolutely no support and when asked to provide it you try to get someone else to do your homework for you and refer them to 'google it'. You are funny. Credibility < 0
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I don't need a degree in biology, I can watch Dr. Oz

You just ruined your chances of proving any sort of a point.
    You understand sarcasm, right?
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options

Lolz. How exactly does this happen?

refined white flour instead of whole grains

That is supposed to be an answer to my question? Okey dokey then!

try google

You know what, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. You have thrown in a bunch of statements with absolutely no support and when asked to provide it you try to get someone else to do your homework for you and refer them to 'google it'. You are funny. Credibility < 0

you forgot the part where i don't care if you believe me...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    As for the topic, you could make an argument whole wheat is no better or worse than white bread due to the anti nutrients found in whole wheat. Personally I'd eat whichever bread I prefer the taste of

/end thread

Whole grains must be the most over hyped "diet" food out there - eat it because you like the taste not because of some kind of mythical advantage (or the fact that pastrami doesn't taste quite right on anything other than rye)
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    White bread is considered by nutritionists to be just empty calories. All of the good stuff that you find on the grain is removed, and what you are left with is something far less nutritious. That is why white bread, white pasta, white rice, and so on are all attacked. They do have "smart" products out there which look and taste white but have the health benefits of whole grains. These are okay, IMO. When given the choice though, I never eat just regular white products (bread, etc).
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Whole grains are not a hype, fyi. If you took out all the healthy parts of a grain, then you are left without a healthy product. Keep the healthy parts of the grain, then you are getting the nutrients you need. It is not a hype, just common sense!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Whole grains are not a hype, fyi. If you took out all the healthy parts of a grain, then you are left without a healthy product. Keep the healthy parts of the grain, then you are getting the nutrients you need. It is not a hype, just common sense!

And there is nothing in those healthy parts of the grain that may inhibit nutrient absorption, so that the actual difference between white bread and whole grain isn't all that different?
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    The fact that you don't understand that there's more to food you eat than just calories is the problem here. Whole grain has a significant amount of protein and fiber while white bread does not. It's basically like eating pure sugar with no real redeeming nutrients to compensate for it.

Looks like your full of crap

Wonder Bread - Classic White (2 slices)
    Calories 140
    Sodium 210 mg
    Total Fat 2 g
    Total Carbs 28 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 4 g
    Protein 4 g

Bread - Whole Wheat - Costcp - One Slice (two slices)

Calories 160
    Total Fat 2 g
    Total Carbs 25 g
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 5 g

Quoted in response to those saying white bread is "empty calories". Not a lot of difference between the two.
    Like others have said; eat what you enjoy as long as fits into your macros
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    it's a little crazy in here but I for one love white bread. I've tried various types of wheat and just can't do it! I say eat what you want, everything can be eaten just in moderation.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What is so wrong with white bread? I make PB&J sandwiches with both bread and i dont really like ones i make with whole wheat bread from pepperidge Farm, as apposed to the sandwiches i make with Freihofers premium Italian bread(sliced white bread). i even compare them to the status white bread is 20 calories less than the whole wheat. Is whole wheat bread really all that great? Can someone please tell me what the befits are to switching would be?

The difference is the additional fiber in whole wheat (or any wholemeal) bread. Fiber is indigestible so it causes the bread to pass through the digestive tract more slowly and you don't get the blood sugar rush that you do from white bread, which typically has less fiber and digests quickly. But you can also slow the digestive process by eating something that has fiber or protein with the white bread (protein also digests more slowly). A pbj on white will digest slower than just jelly or honey on white because of the fiber and protein in the peanut butter.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

You mean the husk which contains most of the anti nutrients?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The fact that you don't understand that there's more to food you eat than just calories is the problem here. Whole grain has a significant amount of protein and fiber while white bread does not. It's basically like eating pure sugar with no real redeeming nutrients to compensate for it.

Looks like your full of crap

Wonder Bread - Classic White (2 slices)
    Calories 140
    Sodium 210 mg
    Total Fat 2 g
    Total Carbs 28 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 4 g
    Protein 4 g

Bread - Whole Wheat - Costcp - One Slice (two slices)

Calories 160
    Total Fat 2 g
    Total Carbs 25 g
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 5 g

I question whether that is 100% whole wheat. Most will have at least twice that much fiber. Nature's Own Whole Wheat bread (for example)

one slice
    Calories 50
    Total Fat 1g
    Saturated Fat 0g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 115mg
    Total Carbohydrate 10g
    Dietary Fiber 2g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 4g
    Calcium 4%
    Iron 2%
    Thiamin 6%
    Riboflavin 6%
    Niacin 10%
    Folic Acid 4%

Arnold's Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins have 5 g of fiber in each bun (2 slices). Just because something says whole wheat on the front doesn't mean it's 100 % whole wheat. Often whole wheat flour won't even be the first ingredient.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Save yourself some trouble, get two spoons, get a spoonful of peanut butter on one and a spoonful of jelly on the other. Lick the spoons.

There...problems solved.

Edited to add: Might as well make your own peanut butter and jelly too before there is a huge debate on the amount of sugars and other stuff put in most "natural" peanut butters.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Save yourself some trouble, get two spoons, get a spoonful of peanut butter on one and a spoonful of jelly on the other. Lick the spoons.

There...problems solved.

No fun! if we are out of white bread, then Ritz crackers are the next bet! :tongue:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

There...problems solved.

No fun! if we are out of white bread, then Ritz crackers are the next bet! :tongue:

Just so you know, you're going to die from the processed butter flavoring on the ritz....MUCH more healthy to go with a wheat thin!!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    looks like broscience is turning into a pi ss ing contest for this thread.

I eat the hell out of some white bread, I'm not obese, fiber deficient, lacking nutrients, or dead. I say eat what you want.
  • webbkk
    webbkk Posts: 7
    Options
    I'll give the condensed version:

wheat = fiber and sustained energy.