White Bread vs Whole Wheat

Options

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The fact that you don't understand that there's more to food you eat than just calories is the problem here. Whole grain has a significant amount of protein and fiber while white bread does not. It's basically like eating pure sugar with no real redeeming nutrients to compensate for it.

Looks like your full of crap

Wonder Bread - Classic White (2 slices)
    Calories 140
    Sodium 210 mg
    Total Fat 2 g
    Total Carbs 28 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 4 g
    Protein 4 g

Bread - Whole Wheat - Costcp - One Slice (two slices)

Calories 160
    Total Fat 2 g
    Total Carbs 25 g
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 5 g
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    complex carbs vs simple carbs. Its bad for you because of the way it is made. True it has vitamins but most of it is sucked out in the process. complex carbs are more effeciently used by your body, its natural. Simple carbs will make you feel tired.

Starches are complex carbs. Bread is a starch. All bread is complex carbs.
  • LBachynsky
    Options
    It has something to do with the glycemic index. Which I believe has something to do with feeling satisfied for longer (less blood sugar spikes).

I'm not the one to really explain that in detail but I'm sure several people on here can. I know there are quite a few benefits. I'm the same way though in that I don't like a lot of wheat bread. I have found a few that I like though. It's about trying different kinds I think.

Also I know sourdough bread is better than white bread.

This is correct. Whole what is a complex carbohydrade and the white stuff is a simple carbohydrate. Basically, white bread (and all other white refined things that fall into the simple carb category) cause your blood sugar to spike which results in a release of insulin. Insulin tells your body to store your excess blood sugar - as fat.

There's a book on Amazon you can get free (if you have a kindle or the kindle app on your smart phone or tablet) called Fire up Your Fat burn that explains it very simply.

http://www.amazon.com/FIRE-UP-Super-Strategies-Weight-ebook/dp/B0083BW37G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349119348&sr=8-2&keywords=fire+up+fat+burn

I think you need to do a little more learning about insulin and DNL amongst other things

At least what I said isn't as silly as saying white bread is better because it has fewer calories.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    The fact that you don't understand that there's more to food you eat than just calories is the problem here. Whole grain has a significant amount of protein and fiber while white bread does not. It's basically like eating pure sugar with no real redeeming nutrients to compensate for it.

actually white bread has a higher glycemic index than granulated sugar because of the way it is made.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread is a slightly more nutritious choice than white bread, but it's not an earth-shattering difference and just because something is better, doesn't make white bread 'bad'. If you're getting the fiber elsewhere, and you don't want to switch, don't. I think the hype about wheat bread is totally overblown. In many cases, it's just brown colored white bread- nutritionally equivalent. In some cases, it's even heavier and more calorific than white bread. And there's higher fiber white bread options if you want to go that route, too. In the end, go with what you like. A slice or two of white bread instead of wheat isn't likely to make a lick of difference in your overall health or weight loss if you're sticking to your macros.

ETA: I LOVE me some PB&J on white bread. It's nostalgic, and no substitute can meet the nostalgic comfort feelings for me.

^^this, except the PB&J (not a fan!)
  • nphect
    Options
    Wheat bread is a slightly more nutritious choice than white bread, but it's not an earth-shattering difference and just because something is better, doesn't make white bread 'bad'. If you're getting the fiber elsewhere, and you don't want to switch, don't. I think the hype about wheat bread is totally overblown. In many cases, it's just brown colored white bread- nutritionally equivalent. In some cases, it's even heavier and more calorific than white bread. And there's higher fiber white bread options if you want to go that route, too. In the end, go with what you like. A slice or two of white bread instead of wheat isn't likely to make a lick of difference in your overall health or weight loss if you're sticking to your macros.

ETA: I LOVE me some PB&J on white bread. It's nostalgic, and no substitute can meet the nostalgic comfort feelings for me.

your totally wrong, the reason it is bad is because of the way it is made, it takes out all of the nutrients. Your better off eating pure sugar.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It has something to do with the glycemic index. Which I believe has something to do with feeling satisfied for longer (less blood sugar spikes).

I'm not the one to really explain that in detail but I'm sure several people on here can. I know there are quite a few benefits. I'm the same way though in that I don't like a lot of wheat bread. I have found a few that I like though. It's about trying different kinds I think.

Also I know sourdough bread is better than white bread.

This is correct. Whole what is a complex carbohydrade and the white stuff is a simple carbohydrate. Basically, white bread (and all other white refined things that fall into the simple carb category) cause your blood sugar to spike which results in a release of insulin. Insulin tells your body to store your excess blood sugar - as fat.

There's a book on Amazon you can get free (if you have a kindle or the kindle app on your smart phone or tablet) called Fire up Your Fat burn that explains it very simply.

http://www.amazon.com/FIRE-UP-Super-Strategies-Weight-ebook/dp/B0083BW37G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349119348&sr=8-2&keywords=fire+up+fat+burn

I think you need to do a little more learning about insulin and DNL amongst other things

At least what I said isn't as silly as saying white bread is better because it has fewer calories.

"Isn't as silly" would imply what you said was silly, which is not helpful to the OP at all
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Wheat berries, which make up flour, have three parts: the bran, the germ and the endosperm. Whole wheat has all three parts while white flour uses only the endosperm. Whole wheat therefore has more nutrients and fiber. White bread is essentially empty calories. Sure you can eat it, it just really has no redeeming quality. Think of it like a can of soda and use it in moderation.

Not exactly. White bread does have some fiber and it has vitamins.

White bread has far less fiber AND less protein. White flour is processed further ... nutrition is lost.

Try to make an effort to like wheat bread .... kind of like an effort (for some people) to drink water... it's an acquired taste.

Option 1. Try a number of brands .......Bimbo Wheat Bread (sold at Wal-Mart) ... has a Polar Bear on the package. This seems like a "starter" white bread. Texture is really close to white. .... I think Wonder makes a wheat bread too. These are maybe not the highest protein or fiber .... but it's a step in the right direction

Option 2. Try a comination (half & half) ..... 1 slice white & 1 slice wheat on sandwiches. This will get you used to the taste... more gradually.

White bread is not the worst thing ... it's just not the best thing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

your totally wrong, the reason it is bad is because of the way it is made, it takes out all of the nutrients. Your better off eating pure sugar.

Lolz. How exactly does this happen?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Wheat berries, which make up flour, have three parts: the bran, the germ and the endosperm. Whole wheat has all three parts while white flour uses only the endosperm. Whole wheat therefore has more nutrients and fiber. White bread is essentially empty calories. Sure you can eat it, it just really has no redeeming quality. Think of it like a can of soda and use it in moderation.

Not exactly. White bread does have some fiber and it has vitamins.

White bread has far less fiber AND less protein. White flour is processed further ... nutrition is lost.

Try to make an effort to like wheat bread .... kind of like an effort (for some people) to drink water... it's an acquired taste.

Option 1. Try a number of brands .......Bimbo Wheat Bread (sold at Wal-Mart) ... has a Polar Bear on the package. This seems like a "starter" white bread. Texture is really close to white. .... I think Wonder makes a wheat bread too. These are maybe not the highest protein or fiber .... but it's a step in the right direction

Option 2. Try a comination (half & half) ..... 1 slice white & 1 slice wheat on sandwiches. This will get you used to the taste... more gradually.

White bread is not the worst thing ... it's just not the best thing.

Check out the page just before this for a macro breakdown........and again, how exactly is the nutrition lost?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Ummm...no, I'm not. Thanks for your valuable input though.
  • nphect
    Options

refined white flour instead of whole grains
  • nphect
    Options

i suggest a class in biology.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That is supposed to be an answer to my question? Okey dokey then!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

i suggest a class in biology.

Ironic post is ironic
  • nphect
    Options

That is supposed to be an answer to my question? Okey dokey then!

try google
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Make your bread yourself - for example a nice whole grain buttermilk bread.

DSC02615_zps56893b20.jpg
  • nphect
    Options
    go ahead eat white bread jajajaja
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    then there is Natures Own White-Wheat Bread, so is it white or wheat ? The nutrition values of wheat but it is white :huh:
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well this thread got annoying real quick.

OP....I'd say eat what you enjoy. If you've tried multiple wheat breads and you still don't like them then don't eat them. You won't stick with healthy changes if you hate what you're eating.

I for one am eating a white bread (well...potato bread) PB&J sandwich for lunch today. And I'm damn proud of it.