How Honest Are You?

Options
So I went grocery shopping and got my typical $50 of groceries. I went thru the self serve line and rang up my order. Swiped my bank card and it said I only owe 0.03 yes 3 cents?

What would you do?

1. Swipe your card and go?

2. Tell someone so they can correct it ?

My momma raised an honest girl! I told someone and paid my $50.

I could have just swiped and paid 3 cents. No one was even watching the self service machines.

So if you have the opporunity to be honest -- are you ?

Replies

• Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I would have done the exact same thing as you - you do the other thing and u feel guilty about it right?
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So I went grocery shopping and got my typical $50 of groceries. I went thru the self serve line and rang up my order. Swiped my bank card and it said I only owe 0.03 yes 3 cents?

What would you do?

1. Swipe your card and go?

2. Tell someone so they can correct it ?

I could have just swiped and paid 3 cents. No one was even watching the self service machines.

So if you have the opporunity to be honest -- are you ?

Bank makes an error in your favor. Collect $50.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I once found $2200 in CASH in a Home Depot, next to a solitary truck. Ended up going inside and having the owner paged (via license plate). Went back outside to wait for him.... only to find him frantically looking around by his truck. Asked him if he lost anything. "$2200", he replied. I gave him his money back, and barely even got a "Thank you" out of the deal.

As for the groceries.... I'd just steal them. :tongue: (j/k)

ETA: I REALLY needed that money! I just imagined how upset I'd be if I dropped it out of my pocket, and someone walked off with it.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'd prolly paid the correct amount cause....karma's a *****!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I would have paid the correct amount. Darn that guilt! :grumble:
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    I probably wouldve grabbed a few Hershey bars, swiped, and walked out! :)
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'd pay the 50 dollars.

BUT - what would you do if you found a $100 bill on the floor?

My mother did, at the supermarket a few weeks ago. She turned it in to the customer service desk. She went back two weeks later and no one had claimed it - so it was HERS! :wink:
  • ewl6850
    ewl6850 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would have kept it at $0.03.

I'll take my lucky bounces as I get them. I get more bad than good.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    easy, pay what I owe.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I would totally do what you did.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    If you did otherwise, it's petty larceny in most U.S. states.
  • jenniferlaughs
    jenniferlaughs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can’t put a price on your integrity. There is no way I would trade it for $50 in free groceries.
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well technically law here states that it has to be sold at the price that it is publicised at whether that be at shelf or till. Regardless of whether that is the true updated retail price or not, and whether staff are aware that it is the wrong price.

I would inform them of the mistake, give them my 3p and be on my merry way :)

e.g (true story) Was in Boots one day (cosmetic store) and wanted to buy some coke, it had the shelf price at £0.85 but when she rang it up at the till it was £1.15.. My reply "It said it was only 85" ... she checked the shelf, they hadn't took the sticker price for the reduce deal down, she called manager to ring it up on the till as an error, cue me getting it for the 85p and being sent to finish my day :)

haha!

x
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

This^^^ I have seen karma too much in my life. What goes around comes around.
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    I would've stood there and wished I could just accept it and run, but I would've told somebody and paid the $50 anyway.
  • bennysammysofie
    Options

This^^^ I have seen karma too much in my life. What goes around comes around.

Maybe that WAS karma coming back around to her....
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I woulda told someone too. So many times cashiers have given me too much cash back and I always give it back. We shouldn't do the right thing or not based on whether we can get away with doing the wrong thing. good for you today! I know it's hard when you think "gee I could really use that $50" but right is right. And just because the computer woulda allowed it and given you a receipt, it would've been stealing if you'd done that. I'm proud of you.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

Braggart. You probably tell people how much you give to charity too don't you? :wink:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If it was 40 or 45, i wouldn't have said anything, but 3 cents instead of 50 bucks seems too obvious.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'd end up doing the same thing you did, but only after standing there, looking around, weighing my options until I would be convinced that people were staring at me wondering what is wrong with me and then I would realize that the guilt would probably eat away at me and whatever was in my grocery bag would probably go and leave it at a food donation drop off.

Stupid conscience.