How Honest Are You?

Options

Replies

• klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'd prolly paid the correct amount cause....karma's a *****!

This^^^ I have seen karma too much in my life. What goes around comes around.

Maybe that WAS karma coming back around to her....

I would have paid the $50. If karma meant for me to have, I'd receive a check!
  • Casshileman
    Options
    I would have paid it, if I noticed. I hate grocery shopping so much, I'm just ready to get out of there. They could easily over charge me and I would probably not notice either.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    I used the self check out once, missed a 2.98 cent thinf of chicken legs, got all the way to the far corner pf the parking lot to unload the cart, saw it and hauled my fat keister back inside to pay for it, and the lady acted like I was an idiot cause I came back. I'd do it again too. Karma does not play!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    If it was a small store or a mom N pop place I'd be honest. If it was a big chain store, I say screw them.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    So honest that I thought your topic read "how horny are you?". Lol. I'm tired, have a cold and my Cowboys are losing miserably. Honest mistake :)) dangdarnit!!' oh, and doing the right thing is always the right thing!!! Props!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I once found $2200 in CASH in a Home Depot, next to a solitary truck. Ended up going inside and having the owner paged (via license plate). Went back outside to wait for him.... only to find him frantically looking around by his truck. Asked him if he lost anything. "$2200", he replied. I gave him his money back, and barely even got a "Thank you" out of the deal.

As for the groceries.... I'd just steal them. :tongue: (j/k)

ETA: I REALLY needed that money! I just imagined how upset I'd be if I dropped it out of my pocket, and someone walked off with it.

That guy was adouche for not realizing how lucky he was that someone honest found his stash instead of someone with less integrity and ethics. You did the right thing! Good job! I wish more people did that.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I feel like if I am not honest it will come back to bite me in the butt.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,096 Member
    Options
    You can’t put a price on your integrity. There is no way I would trade it for $50 in free groceries.
    ^^^This^^^ and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I once found $2200 in CASH in a Home Depot, next to a solitary truck. Ended up going inside and having the owner paged (via license plate). Went back outside to wait for him.... only to find him frantically looking around by his truck. Asked him if he lost anything. "$2200", he replied. I gave him his money back, and barely even got a "Thank you" out of the deal.

I've been on both sides of this.
    Found some money, similar situation, older couple were searching for it and able to identify where it had been dropped (at the ATM). Not even sure they said thank you, but I knew I'd done the right thing. I've also gone back into stores to pay for something that accidentally didn't end up on the register. (On the other hand another time when a store also gave me some defective products in the same purchase, I figured it was a wash and didn't worry about it.)
    On the other side, I lost my purse once... it didn't have much cash in it, but had all my ID, checks etc. Good lady found me and gave it back to me... I was so grateful and relieved, I was somewhat speechless. I'm not sure if I said thank you that time. But every once in awhile I still think of her kindness and wish her well. I'm sure she doesn't know that, and I wish I had been quicker to regain the power to thank her and offer a reward.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I'd find someone and try to pay the real cost.

Honesty and good deeds have their own rewards.

A few years ago, I found a lost dachshund in a parking lot. He had a tag, but the phone number on it had no area code. So I took him home and just started calling all of the area codes in Texas in front of that number. I had the dog in my apartment against the rules for two days while I was doing this. He even chewed up my bathroom door, lol. Eventually, I found his owner...who lived 300 miles away and had only been in town for one day for a funeral when the dog got loose.

The best part was that the owner was a 90 year old man who had been inconsolable about losing his pet. He was overjoyed that he had been found safe. And when his daughter met up with me to get the dog, she stuffed $250 dollars in my hand and refused to take it back when I protested. Crazy! But I still definitely would have done it for free to hear that the nice old man got his doggy back. :)
  • BlueGenius
    BlueGenius Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As much as this economy rips me off ...
    I'd rather count is as a blessing lol.
    It's just food right?
    Would you stop a hungry man from stealing bread?
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You can’t put a price on your integrity. There is no way I would trade it for $50 in free groceries.

^^^This^^^
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Another story I like...
    A friend and I were at a restaurant that helps disabled people learn job skills. This friend usually believes in letting people suffer (learn?) from their own mistakes, But when the young man behind the cash register actually gave him back more money in change than the amount my friend had given him, my friend suggested he check the amounts. And when that didn't work, my friend very patiently, but not condescendingly helped the young man count out the correct change.

Edited for clarity.
  • sgaranzuay
    sgaranzuay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    way to go, girl!
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    I would Absolutely tell them and pay the Correct amount. It's very wrong not to.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm situationally honest. I'd pay for the groceries as you did. vending machines are a different beast... those *kitten* are up at least 20 bucks on me if they mischarge or deal out an extra item for free I keep it and grin. :)
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Three cents sounds much better than fifty dollars to me. I don't think this is a matter of integrity or morality either. Sounds more like good luck to me! No shame in that
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,096 Member
    Options
    Would you stop a hungry man from stealing bread?
    I would if I caught him. Between charities, food stamps, etc... there are enough ways to get yourself fed that there is no excuse for stealing. There was no indication in the OP's post that poverty was an issue.

I've had to make the tough choice whether to pay rent or buy groceries a couple of times. I chose rent... and I'm too proud/stupid to go to a food bank or soup kitchen. A day or two of hunger is pretty easy compared to what some folks on this planet face daily.

Luckily for me, I was blessed by having friends who figured out my predicament (I said nothing) and invited me to supper... then sent me home with "left-overs" enough to feed me for a few days until my next paycheck. I've paid that forward often over the years.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    So honest that I thought your topic read "how horny are you?". Lol. I'm tired, have a cold and my Cowboys are losing miserably. Honest mistake :)) dangdarnit!!' oh, and doing the right thing is always the right thing!!! Props!

You made me glad I wasn't the only one to read it that way!!
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I plead the fifth.............:devil: