How Honest Are You?

Options

Replies

• dtenzie
    dtenzie Posts: 24
    Options
    I would have paid the full amount without thinking about it. Now if my wife was there it would have been an arguement when we got to the car LOL. I would have to hear about kid college bill, car issue, expensive price of organic food blah blah blah lol.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i've had items left off my bill and given too much change, and happily let the person know.

i also belive in Karma. In any case, God is still watching :) (and i aint no bible belter!)
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I am honest to a fault and when stuff like that happens I make it right. When I see friends who take advantage of that kind of situation I never truly trust them again. Sure, I'm a friend and they probably wouldn't steal from me, but they do steal and you can't really trust a thief.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You can’t put a price on your integrity. There is no way I would trade it for $50 in free groceries.

Exactly, surprising how many people would.
  • reelyjn
    reelyjn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would had gotten an associate and paid the full amount. My luck, they would have gotten me at the door questioning my purchase.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I would probably pay the $50, but most of the time I'm not even paying attention at the grocery store, I get what I need, checkout, swipe and I'm out of there! It's usually packed.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm honest to a fault. I would have made it right.

I'm actually not shocked or surprised at the number of people who would just swipe and go....
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    So honest that I thought your topic read "how horny are you?". Lol. I'm tired, have a cold and my Cowboys are losing miserably. Honest mistake :)) dangdarnit!!' oh, and doing the right thing is always the right thing!!! Props!

You win for 'Most Honest'!!! lolz :laugh:
  • Mamboth
    Options
    If you did otherwise, it's petty larceny in most U.S. states.

How do you know it was not items on special.:tongue:

Here in Australia that 3c would have been rounded up to 5c, your just lucky it was not 2c, then I guess under our laws to would have been rounded down to nothing (that being the nearest 5c, well technically that's not 5c..but I guess you follow my logic)

It's what's called a bargain. If I thought that they would miss the $49.95 I might say something otherwise I'd thank my little stars. I mean how many times have you been shortchanged but you only notice later. I'm not the sort to worry about that, so fair's fair in my book.

PS Many of the times I've been shortchanged are at fast food drive thru's. I'm hoping they will have less opportunities in the future :bigsmile:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You can’t put a price on your integrity. There is no way I would trade it for $50 in free groceries.
    I'll second this!
    Yes. And me! I'd pay the $50.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if someone sees this being done or not. God sees and knows all.
  • heatherreif
    heatherreif Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would pay the $50. Many times, if this error is found, it could come out of the cashiers check or ultimatly make her lose her job., Thats a rough price to pay. You did the best thing, your mama did raise a good girl! :)
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    "Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

Oprah Winfrey

Let's turn this the other way around. If you owed $50 and when you swiped, it deducted $99.97 from your bank account, would you ask the store to correct the error? I'm betting 100% of you would say yes. So why would any of you decide it is ok to steal the $50 worth of groceries and walk out the door?

I don't believe in karma, but I do believe in treating everyone as I want to be treated, and it doesn't matter if it is Walmart or the local deli down the street. Pay what you owe. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Mamboth
    Options
    Doesn't matter if someone sees this being done or not. God sees and knows all.

But God made it happen, he does everything. It's just a thought :laugh:
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    To those who would pay the three cents I would say one thing. When the mistake is found, it will be linked to your card - they know who you are. Electronic transactions are traceable (that's why here, in France, it is difficult to pay for anything major with untraceable cash). Sorry.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I would have paid the correct amount...I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I stole from the store...which, technically, that's what I'd be doing if I paid the $0.03 and left.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would pay the $50. When I was younger and just starting out I might have tip-toed out without mentioning it to anyone. Now I wouldn't think twice. I know that when things like that happen they end up costing us all more in the long run. I can tell you the specific incident in my life that changed my thinking on the subject.

Many years ago I spent three years working as a bank teller. One day I was counting down for lunch and discovered that my till was off by $1800. After a couple hours of carefully going over every receipt I discovered that I had incorrectly keyed in a transaction. A customer had made a deposit of $200 cash into his savings account. I keyed it in as $2000, which accounts for the $1800 difference in my till. I had to contact the customer and ask him to review his receipt for accuracy. If he had said everything was fine and there were no errors I would have been out of a job (the cameras were on a rotation, and there was no video record of the transaction). Thankfully for me he said the transaction listed on his receipt was not accurate, and that his deposit had only been $200. I was then able to have him verify this with my manager and correct the transaction. That situation was kind of a turning point for me. I realized how huge an impact that man could have had on my life. Honesty really is the best policy.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I would 100% pay the 3p and run. It's a dog eat dog world. And I would not have a bad conscience about it either.

Actually surprised how many honest people there are answering this.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Karma knows where you are at all times. You did the right thing IMO.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It always pays to be honest. Once I was buying an applicance and I paid in cash, the lady gave me too much money back and I brought it to her attention. Well not long after that this lady just happend to come to my hall one Sunday, needless to say I was glad I was honest. You may get away with it but you can't hide it from the one above