Quitting Without Notice

Options
Has anyone quit without notice? I read in my employee handbook that the employer can end it at any time, and it also says the employee can end it at any time without notice. I am working a customer service job with 15 other people and i hate it. It's not what I thought it was going to, pays crappy, and I have been there just a month.

Replies

• Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You sure can. However it makes you look bad. Give them at least a week if you are easy to replace. In my profession we tend to give a 30 day notice if not longer.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi, I worked in Human Resources for years so here are my two cents:
    If it's an at-will employment (as in, you're not under contract), then yes, you can quit or be terminated at any time. However, if you intend to use them as a future job reference, it will be more favorable for you to give notice. If 2 more weeks are too rough, then give 1 week notice. If they give you an exit interview, you can say you're leaving because of job dissatisfaction.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Every job application I've ever filled out has asked me how I've left my last job and many interviews include questions about giving notice. Once you give your notice you'll mostly likely get barely any hours anyway but then you can say that you gave your two weeks and not worry about putting down the job as far as references. You can make it two more weeks.

Also you need to be prepared for not having a paycheck it's not as easy as you might think to find a job... I've been working since I was 14, I worked at Mcdonald's I worked in customer service, I worked as a bagger at Stop & Shop, barista at Dunkin Donuts... and a lot of the time it sucked but not as much as not having a job or steady paycheck.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    In my college career class they said if you dont remember anything
    remember to always give a two-week notice.
  • winesar21
    Options
    I am leaving so suddenly because my dad lives far away and he is having issues, so I am leaving to go be with him for awhile. I do not plan on using them as a references, and the job is not what it was hyped up to be.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    NY is a hire and fire at will state. They can let you go or you can quit without notice. Which explains why when I went to work last Wednesday it was only to find out they had eliminated thd entire night shift. No notice.... just hone.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    So tell them you are taking a leave of absence because of a family medical emergency, then send them a letter with your notice once you are out, telling them you will not be back.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm in the staffing industry and I'd definitely counsel you to give two weeks. Things like that have a way of popping up sometimes years later. And, it can be tough to get around when looking for new work, particularly in smaller cities and towns.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you give at least some sort of notice. I've been a hiring manager before, and I'll tell you that I DO call on references and former employers. I want reliable, responsible employees... if the picture painted for me is of a person that just failed to show up or even that announced at the end of their shift, "I won't be back," their chances of being seriously considered for the spot I'm trying to fill are very poor. I would love to see candidates that showed pride and professionalism even in low-level positions. Someone who takes the care to offer a 1-2 week notice even knowing that they are in a high turnover job with low entry requirements would lead me to believe they care about doing a good job. Also, I know you say that you don't plan on using the employer for a reference, but you may find yourself screened out of consideration for jobs by HR before you ever make it to an interview with the hiring manager if you leave jobs out of your history. If an HR department runs background on you and finds that you left out a job when you filled out an application stating that your complete job history was listed, you may be excluded. It can be considered lying on the job app. I actually had a person that I *really* wanted to hire once that was denied by my HR department for this reason.

Your employer may be rotten, but you're not. Be better than them. If you need it to be a short notice due to your need to help your father, offer even 3 days notice and state the reason for the notice and its brevity is the need to care for a family member out of the area, and put that all in writing.

As someone else has said, the expectation is that as you reach more professional and/or specialized positions, you should offer notice further in advance.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    do unto others as you would have them do unto you

quitting without notice is totally lame
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    So tell them you are taking a leave of absence because of a family medical emergency, then send them a letter with your notice once you are out, telling them you will not be back.

lame
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If it's an at-will employment (as in, you're not under contract), then yes, you can quit or be terminated at any time. However, if you intend to use them as a future job reference, it will be more favorable for you to give notice. If 2 more weeks are too rough, then give 1 week notice. If they give you an exit interview, you can say you're leaving because of job dissatisfaction.

^^this
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Whatever...I've quit without notice before and would do it again if I was really unhappy with the work.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I quit once without notice. Unless you count the middle finger and "**** you ***hole" to the manager as I walked out as notice. It was a great feeling. But I also knew I would never be able to work for them again even if I wanted to. I have always given at least two-weeks notice although my current job requires 4.
  • RMLMoore
    RMLMoore Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My general rule is that how you leave an organization says a lot more about you and your character than how you join an organization. How do you want to be remembered?
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    well when i quit without notice they withheld $400 from my pay and legally they could do it.... I full on *****ed and complained and got my pay back but not without signing a piece of paper
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Don't do without notice....

It SUCKS replacing staff with no notice. Absolutely rude and incosiderate. And it looks horrible on your part and sets you up for bad habits down the road. Don't screw the employer over because you happen to not like that job. They probably are already used to high turn over rate as it is and will not give you grief for your last two weeks. Just tell them you have to go to your dad/family reasons and don't think the position is a good match.
  • winesar21
    Options
    I know it is definately not the right thing to do, but I have been here just less than a month and just got out of training. I left my other job (which paid more) for this position, which was stupid on my part. I was told there would be many opportunities for advancement which there are not, and that was the only reason why I took this because i thought it would be a good move for my career. I literally cry every night this job gives me so much anxiety, I just can't take it anymore. On top of that I have gained 5lbs over thinking this all week.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. You'll look like a tacky donkey butt.
    Adults put in two weeks notice.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options

Absolutely this- I too work in HR. Also, if you are in a small community, word gets around that you are un-reliable and it makes it harder to find a job.