Quitting Without Notice

Options

Replies

• samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Don't be surprised if you give notice, and they ask you to leave. that's happened to me a couple times - as soon as they could get my check ready I was out the door. Having said that, if this happens to you, they should pay you for that time.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I did once.. I hated the job, the people and had only been there for a month..

I left for my lunch, and decided not to go back, so I called and told the girl I was not coming back.

In Illinois we have a policy that both employers can fire and employees can leave without explanation or notice.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. You'll look like a tacky donkey butt.
    Adults put in two weeks notice.

This is put much better then how I was going to say it... :laugh:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Yup.
    I also didn't get paid for the last week either.. I would say, quit the day you get paid ;)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I've always given ample notice, but if I thought it would make my last days a problem, I would not give notice.

If an employer lays you off or fires you, do they give you notice? Nope. They don't deserve any better than they give.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    So tell them you are taking a leave of absence because of a family medical emergency, then send them a letter with your notice once you are out, telling them you will not be back.

lame

It's like breaking up via text message...have some pride and at least say that you for sure won't be back
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Hi, I worked in Human Resources for years so here are my two cents:
    If it's an at-will employment (as in, you're not under contract), then yes, you can quit or be terminated at any time. However, if you intend to use them as a future job reference, it will be more favorable for you to give notice. If 2 more weeks are too rough, then give 1 week notice. If they give you an exit interview, you can say you're leaving because of job dissatisfaction.

Thisss^^^^^ also a jobs a job u can't b piccy unless uv got another job to walk str8 into then quit but I would just go work and come home moneys money x
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Has anyone quit without notice? I read in my employee handbook that the employer can end it at any time, and it also says the employee can end it at any time without notice. I am working a customer service job with 15 other people and i hate it. It's not what I thought it was going to, pays crappy, and I have been there just a month.

Leave a notice on matter how crappy the job because always remember that chances are your next job will ask for references. If they call you last job and find you quit without notice they might think you will do the same to them too. Leave on a good note.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. You've survived a month, and another week or two isn't going to kill you. In fact, once you give your notice, you might find your anxiety is so much better because you KNOW you'll be gone soon!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am leaving so suddenly because my dad lives far away and he is having issues, so I am leaving to go be with him for awhile. I do not plan on using them as a references, and the job is not what it was hyped up to be.

If you are leaving because your father needs help, that is a very different issue than just quitting without notice. If it truly matters that you get to your dad NOW, then tell your employer this and work something out. If not, offer then notice but let them know that it would be most helpful if they didn't need you the whole time due to the family emergency. Use that phrase-family emergency.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Has anyone quit without notice? I read in my employee handbook that the employer can end it at any time, and it also says the employee can end it at any time without notice. I am working a customer service job with 15 other people and i hate it. It's not what I thought it was going to, pays crappy, and I have been there just a month.

If you wamt to use them as a reference (though quitting after only a month probably isn't going to allow that), give notice. If not, then don't.
  • CyclngChick
    CyclngChick Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I quit without notice once because my boss and the president of the company was sexually harassing me, and there was no one to complain to. Plus he had anger management issues and would throw things and yell and swear constantly. It was in another state and I held out for as long as I could, but I knew that if I gave two weeks notice he would make my life even more of a living hell. I don't use him as a reference, I use another employee at the company who had always been nice to me and couldn't tolerate the boss' insane mood swings either. It wasn't the best situation either way, but I did get another job so it's less of a big deal now.
  • Doomfrog
    Options
    I know it is definately not the right thing to do, but I have been here just less than a month and just got out of training. I left my other job (which paid more) for this position, which was stupid on my part. I was told there would be many opportunities for advancement which there are not, and that was the only reason why I took this because i thought it would be a good move for my career. I literally cry every night this job gives me so much anxiety, I just can't take it anymore. On top of that I have gained 5lbs over thinking this all week.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up so why ask?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Flip a desk, yell I quit and walk the F out.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    They probably are already used to high turn over rate as it is and will not give you grief for your last two weeks. Just tell them you have to go to your dad/family reasons and don't think the position is a good match.
    yes.
  • m0pp3t
    m0pp3t Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You've only been there a month, and are just out of training. I don't think a 2 week notice is expected.

I manage a small customer care / tech support team, and in the cases where it is clear the position is not a good fit, and they have not been there long, they generally leave the same day. Reps that have stayed for a couple of years and are moving on to different things have given 2 weeks notice.

Just talk to your boss and tell them it is not a good fit, offer to finish out the week if they would like you to, but they may just say 'OK BYE' so they can move on to training the next person.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    It's not about if the job was all it was hyped up to be, it's about if you are all you hyped yourself up to be!!! I assume you told them during the interview you were a good employee, right? Then be a good employee and give notice!

A lot of times in these positions the manager will say.. "Just go now!"
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You've only been there a month ~ go ahead and quit and don't put them on your next job application/resume. Its not the end of the world.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    In the long term what is a week or two. Even if you are miserable, give a notice. It will come back to haunt you if you don't.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have. Just tell them that you are very sorry and appreciate the opportunity they have given you, but things aren't going to work out for you, and that you have found another position that starts in 2 days, so today will be your last shift.