Quitting Without Notice

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have a different point of view.

Jobs come and go. You only have one dad. If he needs you, go to him. Especially since you haven't been there long. Leave it off your resume.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Just suck it up and give a weeks noticed..I mean Every one is telling you the right thing to do .. You asked for advice you are not gonna listen to?

CHances are if the the job is crumby as you say it is then they will just walk you when you give notice any how.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Burning bridges is rarely a good idea.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    With "at-will" employment you don't have to give notice. Is it courteous to do so? Absolutely.

If you truly feel the need to not give any notice then tell them you're going to a competitor and let them walk you out.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've given notice to most every job i've worked at. My last one I was so unhappy with and ended up moving across the country a few days later. Sadly the job didn't even notice I wasn't there. They ended up calling me 5 days later. That place was such a joke. I wasn't there very long to begin with. I wanted to quit after day 1.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Has anyone quit without notice? I read in my employee handbook that the employer can end it at any time, and it also says the employee can end it at any time without notice. I am working a customer service job with 15 other people and i hate it. It's not what I thought it was going to, pays crappy, and I have been there just a month.

As an employer, I would say to at least give a small notice. Why? One day you might need something from that very same employer that you threw under the bus...you know, like a good reference letter or something. Be the bigger person even though it says you can leave at any time without notice. :-)
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am leaving so suddenly because my dad lives far away and he is having issues, so I am leaving to go be with him for awhile. I do not plan on using them as a references, and the job is not what it was hyped up to be.

If your not planning on using them as a reference I say just go ahead and quit, notice or not. I lived in Vegas for 6 years and am a Bartender, at times I had to work crappy jobs til I could find something better, or work an extra job for the holidays as at the time I was a single mom (ice cream shop "shake maker", server for a catering company, club promoter, guest Co host on a local fashion TV show, etc) but I never felt the need to give too much notice to those jobs, if any because I wasn't there long and I wouldnever put them on an application.
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I quit without notice once because my boss and the president of the company was sexually harassing me, and there was no one to complain to. Plus he had anger management issues and would throw things and yell and swear constantly. It was in another state and I held out for as long as I could, but I knew that if I gave two weeks notice he would make my life even more of a living hell. I don't use him as a reference, I use another employee at the company who had always been nice to me and couldn't tolerate the boss' insane mood swings either. It wasn't the best situation either way, but I did get another job so it's less of a big deal now.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me at my last job. I couldn't take it anymore and quit without notice. That is the ONLY time I've ever done so and I would never leave a job where I was just unhappy without giving at least one week's notice. However, when I interviewed for the job I have now I was honest about the situation and how I left my last job. They understood and I ended up getting this job anyway.

If you're just unhappy and you're not being mistreated, I'd say give your notice. You might be surprised that they just let you go anyway.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yep CS pretty much sucks. I assume you didn't realize that customer service is actually the complaint department. I worked CS during college.

I'd do the following.

Tell your manager that this isn't what you thought you'd be doing. Ask if there's another alternative position that you can perform. If the answer is no (wait a day or so) then give them 2 weeks notice via email. Saying that you'd hoped that they'd find a fit for you in the department. CC the email to HR.

As a hiring manager I've learned the trick is getting good people, not perfect fits. By working the above steps you're telling HR that you're good people. They may not keep you, but they'll have to admit that they let a good one get away.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    1624867_o.gif
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You sure can. However it makes you look bad. Give them at least a week if you are easy to replace. In my profession we tend to give a 30 day notice if not longer.

This. I've only ever left one job with no notice, and at that job I knew (a) I'd never use that boss as a reference (and that future employers would never call that boss) and (b) there were more than enough employees to cover my lost work. In general though, you want to give a reasonable period of notice.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I am leaving so suddenly because my dad lives far away and he is having issues, so I am leaving to go be with him for awhile. I do not plan on using them as a references, and the job is not what it was hyped up to be.

If you are leaving because your father needs help, that is a very different issue than just quitting without notice. If it truly matters that you get to your dad NOW, then tell your employer this and work something out. If not, offer then notice but let them know that it would be most helpful if they didn't need you the whole time due to the family emergency. Use that phrase-family emergency.

AGREED
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If there is really an issue with your dad, and you need to leave to be with him. I would flat out tell them that. I would pull the manager aside and thank them for the opportunity, then explain that you will finish out the week, but your father needs your assistance right now and that's where you need to be.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I quit my last job without notice. Again the job wasnt what they said it was and was very high pressure. Iv suffered with stress in the past and this job was the icing on the cake.
    I was having panick attacks, not sleeping, crying all the time, paranoid etc. I went to my boss crying my eyes out saying I couldnt do it anymore.
    I went straight to my doctor to put me on medication and suggested counselling. I took 12 weeks for the meds to do there job and I didnt find a new job for 14 months. Very difficult

If you can bare a few more days certainly give notice but advise your leaving at the end of the week. My mam always said never leave one job till you have another. Didnt listen to her this time though.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been a manager or supervisor of a group of people?

If so, then you know that you're about to ram it into someone without lube when you just leave without notice.

If not, then I will tell you, one of the worse things about managing people is dealing with their random crap that they feel free to throw at you.

If there is a reason that you can't give them 2 weeks notice to get themselves prepared, then give some notice simply because that is a person that you're dealing with, not some faceless entity called "the job".
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Excuses are like a**holes, everyone has them.

If you want to quite without notice, than do it. Seems it doesn't matter what anyone here is telling you, and really its your decision. So stop making excuses and justifying why your doing it. Either quit without notice, or suck it up and give notice.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    If your father truly needs you now-- explain to them and go. If not, and you are just looking for an excuse-- give notice (absent abuse of some sort, which does not appear to be the case). Crappy jobs are jobs- and the ability to get those jobs done affects others income and well being. They hired you and you accepted-- so it is not what you thought it would be-- give em notice (preferably two weeks) and move on. Your good name will remain intact, and there is nothing more important out there than your good name.

Yep. Give notice because it's the right thing to do.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In the long term what is a week or two. Even if you are miserable, give a notice. It will come back to haunt you if you don't.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I left one job in my life without giving notice and it hasn't hurt me at all. It's been 14 years. I was a bartender and the guy who owned the place was truly awful. When he called me at 6 the morning after a shift to scream at me for something really stupid, after enduring that kind of crap for nine months, alternating with him trying to sleep with me, I just up and quit that day. End of story.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Be the bigger person and give notice. I completely understand the anxiety associated with a job that stinks, but go ahead and put in two weeks notice. More often than not, they will just tell you that you don't need to come in the next day and that you can pick up your last check on such and such day or they will mail it to you. If that is not the case, your last two weeks will be a lot less stressful, because you know you are almost done. Trust me, once you have a set date that is the end of your employment with the company, you will feel so much better. Just don't be a child and walk out or call on your lunch and say your not coming back. That is immature and you never know when it will come back on you.

"Lay the foundation for a good reputation".
  • dtreg35
    dtreg35 Posts: 93
    Options
    I would walk in there and go "half baked" on them!!! haha