Jump Rope stories or before/after

Options
I just started adding jump rope to my exercise plan. I know that 10 min of major jump rope can equal 30 min jogging. I was hoping someone on here would have a success story using jump rope that would motivate me even more to keep it in my plan. I enjoy it some days and then others I just don't feel like doing it. Please help if you can.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    <---- 276 before, 227 after. 24 mins per day, 4 days per week
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Bumping. No experience here but I have heard it is the highest burn cardio you can do.

DavPul - I assume you were also lifting?
  • DavPul
    Options
    Bumping. No experience here but I have heard it is the highest burn cardio you can do.

DavPul - I assume you were also lifting?

Yep. Typically I would lift 3x per week, and I'll jump rope for 12 mins before I lifted, and 12 mins after. Then either Saturday or Sunday (off days from gym) I would go outside and jump for 24 mins.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Wow. I need a jump rope.
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I bought a jump rope. I can barely go for 4 spins before messing up and hitting my feet. Gave it up and focus on running haha
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    wow! I have a fitness skipping rope (jump rope for you 'mericans) but i can only do about 20 seconds before i trip up. I need to persevere with this!
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I worked up to 30 minutes at a time, usually every day. Tale of caution: if you are jumping barefoot and/or on a very hard surface, increase your time very slowly to give your feet time to adjust and strengthen. Else you will give yourself a stress fracture that needs 6 weeks to heal.

I definitely saw improvements in endurance, and my calves are looking pretty awesome.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Found this online:
    Calories Burned

In 10 minutes, a 145-lb individual will burn 132 calories if jumping rope quickly, 110 calories of jumping rope at a moderate speed and 87 calories of jumping at a slower pace. In 10 minutes, a 165-lb individual will burn 150 calories at a fast pace, 125 at a moderate pace and 100 calories at a slower pace.

Variables

The number of calories you burn from jumping rope will vary depending on your speed, intensity or jump height, weight and duration of exercise. Longer durations at quicker speeds will increase your total calorie expenditure.

And this:
    Jump-Rope Cardio

Old-time boxers knew what they were doing. According to the Compendium of Physical Studies, jumping rope for 10 minutes can burn as many calories as jogging at an eight-minute-per-mile pace. No wonder many fitness experts call the jump rope the best all-around piece of exercise equipment you can own. Here are five reasons to learn the ropes:

1.) Cost. Unlike a treadmill, elliptical, or other high-tech cardio machine, jump ropes sell for about $15, and a good one should last for years — if not decades.

2.) Portability. You can take it anywhere and use it indoors or out.

3.) Strength gain. Jumping builds bone-mineral density and improves total-body power. Athletes have used it to improve their vertical jump height.

4.) Improved coordination. The jump rope forces you to keep a rhythmic pace and use proper form, otherwise you trip.

5.) Fat loss. Jumping rope involves nearly every muscle. Some people report that it's the only cardio they need to lose fat.

THE WORKOUT
    This beginner's routine will jump-start your conditioning

Jump for 30 reps swinging the rope forward. If you trip up, it's OK, just continue until you hit 30. Rest 30 seconds, and then do another 30 reps, swinging the rope backward. (Hint: it's harder.) Rest again. That's one set. Perform four to eight sets depending on your endurance. If you have never jumped rope before or haven't for a while, imitate a jump-rope workout for a few days—pretend you're using a rope and rotate your wrists in time with your jumps. It may feel silly, but you'll learn timing and condition your body to use the rope.

I actually have one, but I haven't used it yet. I don't really have space indoors to use it. But this makes me think twice about making time and/or space for it.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Davpul - you are definately an inspiration! I'm gonna go jump rope now :)
  • DavPul
    Options
    Here's a 10 min rope workout. Just starting out you won't be able to do a lot of these moves, but it'll give you ideas to keep it fresh and interesting as you get better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHk4mjlJ5cg&amp;feature=share&amp;list=PLFC9057ECEA401CCC

Tips:
    1. don't double jump!
    2. go for speed....eventually. at first just try to get to the point where you can jump 2 mins without a miss. But you want to work up to 130-150 jumps per minute.....and up.
    3. don't get frustrated. you'll get better quickly. When I started earlier this year, I had my timer set for 10 mins but had to stop at maybe 4-5 mins. and that was at a really slow rope speed compared to what I do now. It gets better.
  • SBthud326
    SBthud326 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have never jumped rope outside of gym class in elementary school. I have really gotten into getting fitter the last year or so, with Turbo Fire, Body Pump, running the Warrior Dash and a couple other 5K's, most recently am a few weeks into a Turbo Fire/Pump hybrid. Then I got cast as a featured dancer in Legally Blonde (among a few other small speaking roles). I am featured on "Whipped Into Shape" which for those of you not familiar with the show, is a song resembling a work out video, and is all jumping rope. We spent 3 hours learning the choreography and according to my HRM, I burned 1900 calories. I never thought about how much I was using my core, since I was focused on my legs turning to jello by the end, but man was my entire trunk sore the next day! I am SO glad I have this opportunity to use this dance as an excuse to jump rope everyday (can't be huffing and puffing and trying to sing!). I think I will have to start working in some jump rope into my combo I am doing right now. Amazing!
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Here's a 10 min rope workout. Just starting out you won't be able to do a lot of these moves, but it'll give you ideas to keep it fresh and interesting as you get better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHk4mjlJ5cg&amp;feature=share&amp;list=PLFC9057ECEA401CCC

Tips:
    1. don't double jump!
    2. go for speed....eventually. at first just try to get to the point where you can jump 2 mins without a miss. But you want to work up to 130-150 jumps per minute.....and up.
    3. don't get frustrated. you'll get better quickly. When I started earlier this year, I had my timer set for 10 mins but had to stop at maybe 4-5 mins. and that was at a really slow rope speed compared to what I do now. It gets better.

Hey DavPul thanks for sharing the link! The woman jumping rope in the video was awesome! I agree with you on it being an awesome fat burning workout!
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ah, this thread makes me nostalgic.

I have a jump rope but haven't used it much at all. I don't have the indoor space and outside is a parking lot so I don't want to get run over. I'm hoping that when we move and I have a house and a garage that I'll have better luck.

I used to jump rope as a kid all the time though. To me, the beaded ropes are easier. They are heavier but they seem to swing smoother and they make a nice sound as they hit the ground so it's easier to stay in a rhythm. We use to see who could go the longest without screwing up (with 2 people turning and 1-2 jumping at a time, occasionally with some basic tricks, almost always with some sort of chant.) . Back then I could go over 100 without screwing up, sometimes closer to 200. If I tried it now, I'd probably mess up in 4 because I'm so rusty. I was in a lot better shape back then too. :P

I've never done double dutch, but it looks like fun.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Like you, I have started to jump rope - loads more demanding on cardio than my running! It got me really angry when I found I could only skip once or twice before snagging on the rope, but bit by bit I have managed a few more.

Doesn't matter if you keep tripping on the rope - if you keep jumping.

I like it and you can take it anywhere.

Keep it up GreyEyes!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I always assumed it was a lot less work than jogging, for some reason or another (probably because it's worth less points on Fitocracy). I was about to hang mine up and invest in a treadmill but I think this thread might have saved me $800...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    If you're new to it, don't forget to stretch those calves after. You'll be feeling it the next day :smile:
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    hmm,if jumping rope is benificial i wonder what skipping would do?cause i can skip! ALOT.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    hmm,if jumping rope is benificial i wonder what skipping would do?cause i can skip! ALOT.

Isn't it the same thing? I just figured Americans call it jump rope. We call it skipping.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

Isn't it the same thing? I just figured Americans call it jump rope. We call it skipping.

no skipping is when you bring your knee up to the height of the other and alternate legs but kinda run/hop at the same time..