Jump Rope stories or before/after

Options

Replies

• Alew7809
    Alew7809 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started jumping last week. Feeling good & I'm up to jumping 1 min without getting caught. Next goal, double jump for 1 min non stop. Great workout!
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It can burn around 10 calories per minute if you do it correctly.
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump I just bought a rope.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    hmm,if jumping rope is benificial i wonder what skipping would do?cause i can skip! ALOT.

Isn't it the same thing? I just figured Americans call it jump rope. We call it skipping.

no skipping is when you bring your knee up to the height of the other and alternate legs but kinda run/hop at the same time..

This is done without a rope. I believe.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I have a jump rope but got frustrated with the constant snagging (plus being out of breath after a minute or so, plus the need for a sports bra that resembles a bullet-proof vest, lol.) But I've always theorized that any activity that kids do for fun would be a good exercise choice. Which reminds me that I've got a hula hoop around here somewhere...and I should really get a trampoline. And some skates.

Oh, and a million years ago when I was taking Tae Kwon Do classes our instructor would make everyone jump rope after class for 20 minutes before we could go home, which felt like an eternity because we were already so exhausted. So we figured out a way to jump rope without much effort by turning the rope as slowly and as low to the ground as possible, and then only alternating feet so that there was never actually any jumping, just switching weight from foot to foot. Human ingenuity is at it's best when there's laziness involved, eh?
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    I got a fitness jump rope a really nice one that is made for speed a couple months ago. I had started doing 10-minutes a day every couple of days and then decided I wanted to workout daily and I guess over did it. For a week I couldn't jump rope and even had a hard time walking without pain in my calves (I guess I overworked an inner muscle). Even now I find that if I do too much jumping or anything too often then the pain returns. Is there a way around this? There is nothing wrong just an overuse of that particular muscle. I would really like to use the jump rope I purchased but am a little weary of it because of that reason.

When I was using it for a couple of weeks and a few times a week I did notice that my whole body got a nice workout, it especially helped me to start losing some of the excess baby weight I was carrying in my stomach (something I've never had previous to being pregnant). It is honestly a great workout and I kind of miss it.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I jump rope,

since I am really just starting I cant say anything for long term effects.

I use the jump rope to keep my heart rate up during weightlifting, in between sets or whenever I feel like it I will jump rope.

FYI: The act of jumping actually helps with your lymph nodes which are important part of your immune system

I also remember in grade school one year we did a "jump for heart" campaign
  • tstrong23
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose the 50 pounds?
  • UpandRunning2013
    UpandRunning2013 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that workout schedule. I may add this into my routine.
  • JoshonnaTrundle
    JoshonnaTrundle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I purchased my BF and I a jump rope last week . It will definitely be getting put to use after reading these post ..
  • glennunez
    Options
    I jump rope everyday. At first I kept tripping over the rope but now it is easier. With a diet change and the rope I have achieved a six pack for the first time in my life ever! :D
  • badgalmari
    badgalmari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this post. I'm going to incorporate jump roping into my workout routines.
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • phryu1024
    Options
    how long did it take you to lose all the weight?
  • nomo_fatso
    Options
    bump
  • tamarawisniewski
    tamarawisniewski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about adding jump roping to my workout, especially since the weather is getting so nice out. I was thinking of adding it a few times a week, to just break things up. Glad I saw this thread!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    how long did it take you to lose all the weight?

That doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is how long until you start
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, I'm getting a jump rope.