SAHM 1/11-1-17/2010

Options
GM!! Welcome all stay at home moms looking for a group of supportive, encouraging, and understanding fellow travelers. We are an open informal group, so join in anytime!
We don't have official weigh in's or challenges. But we do often share our goals and help each other reach for the brass ring! We also discuss other random topics like parenting and cooking and how to find ways to exercise indoors.

Feel free to add to the conversation any time! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    really can't chat this am. 2 min till taking girl 1 to school....

but i lost a pound!! looks like keeping to calorie count and drinking water really works. who knew! :laugh:

will see you all this afternoon--have a grrrreat morning!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Great job with the weight loss, Stacey! Keep it up. Keep your eye on the prize, and forsake all others ;)

Last night I added new food groups to my meal plan. Mainly morning & afternoon snacks. I heard spreading out one's food throughout the day helps speed up metabolism, and I felt I really need that right now. I also stayed up working out my meals for the next two weeks. We are trying a bunch of new recipes including Rattlesnake Penne, Taco Casserole, and Pork & Rice A L'Orange! It will be an adventure. I told hubby "Don't ask. Just keep an open mind" LOL
    I just picture him like that husband in the movie Julie & Julia, where he's just popping tums every time Julie tries to cook.

This morning I am working on a daily personal schedule for myself, while incorporating Grace's into it. I really need to get my life together if we are going to get her into my office, and my studio out of there, by June! Between being a mom and working out, I didn't know where to put painting in. I work out when Grace naps, so there wasn't really a time for anything else. So now I've resolved to put myself to bed by 10, and get up with hubby at 5 so I can work. Now I'll really appreciate what the man goes through every day by getting up that early for work and coming home to be a full time dad!
    I also think I found a way to go running without Grace. When my friend comes over to help paint in the afternoons, I can put Grace down for her nap, and go for a quick run. I think it will work.

Anyway, just rambling now. What's everyone having for dinner? We're having stir fry tonight.
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the invite! I have been on for only 1 week and I was going to start being active in the community this week. I was basically the like the shy kid in the corner just observing because I wanted to give it a week to make sure that I can do this, that my mind was in the right place, and to see if this was the site for me. Well... I love it and have been telling everyone I know about this site.
    BTW- My name is Erica and I am a SAHM with a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 5 week old girl. The 20 lbs that I gained with DD came off with her birth but I now can tackle the 30 lbs that I never lost with DS. Having a great time working out at home during nap time even though sleeping with them at that time is all I want to do.
    Looking forward to the journey on my weight loss and gaining the support from all of you wonderful people!
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the invite! I have been on for only 1 week and I was going to start being active in the community this week. I was basically the like the shy kid in the corner just observing because I wanted to give it a week to make sure that I can do this, that my mind was in the right place, and to see if this was the site for me. Well... I love it and have been telling everyone I know about this site.
    BTW- My name is Erica and I am a SAHM with a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 5 week old girl. The 20 lbs that I gained with DD came off with her birth but I now can tackle the 30 lbs that I never lost with DS. Having a great time working out at home during nap time even though sleeping with them at that time is all I want to do.
    Looking forward to the journey on my weight loss and gaining the support from all of you wonderful people!

Hi Erica. It's good that you decided to join. It sounds like you've got a great start already! I am just now down to my prepregnancy weight, and my dd is 13 mos old! I've got about 30 lbs. to go too. I give you props for working out during naps when you're surely sleep-deprived with the baby. I usually get up extra early to squeeze in workouts (5am) and nap when the baby naps. I guess either way it's sleep loss. So welcome to our group.

Trish-good job on the meal planning. You are so daring with the meal ideas-maybe it's your artistic side. I didn't realize how much time it took, but I did mine on Sun. when I was laid up with back pain. I'm not ready to go "out there" with my meals just yet. Just working on making my usual meals healthier right now. I have to rave, and some of you prob already knew about this stuff, but I didn't and was ecstatic. Today was my grocery shopping day, and I was determined to find low-sodium alternatives bc my sodium has been way over the last 3 days, and with my high bp I really need it to stay under between 1500-2500(yesterday I had like 3500mg bc I had stir fry and pot roast-both are pretty high sodium but low cal- and I felt so sick my head hurt, I was dizzy, my fingers and ankles all swollen, and couldn't get enough water) So I stocked up on some low sodium broths, canned tomatoes, and tomato sauces. Then I went to find some Mrs. Dash seasonings to use as taco seasoning (my husband is hispanic, and I cook alot of hispanic-style meals) And next to the Mrs. Dash was this wonderful no sodium salt that Morton makes. It's potassium chloride I think, but it tastes just like salt. I am soooo happy! So now I can add a little "salt" to my steamed veggies, casseroles, and homemade soups without the worry of bloating and hypertension. Yea! I also went to Kroger and they have their Boar's Head brand of Roast Beef which has only 140 mg of sodium in a 2oz serving. That is amazing!-my regular lunch meat has 450mg. So I can't wait to see how I feel next week on 1500 mg. of sodium everyday.
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ok, one week done!! I started last Monday and will be weighing myself every Friday. As of this past Friday, I have lost almost 3 lbs!! Every Monday I plan to set a new goal for my week. My goal this week is to burn at least 150 calories each time I use the Wii Active! One day done! Wish me luck!

Jennifer
  • kawade80
    Options
    Hi ladies. I'm new to mfp, just joined three days ago. Just a little about me, I am a sahm to two girls ages 5 and 3, have a wonderful supportive husband, and am so thankful that I found this site. My goal is to be if not at my goal weight then within 10 pounds of it by my 30th birthday. That gives me a little under a year to do it. I know that I will be able to do with all the support that I get from my family and this site!!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Erica, welcome aboard! We have a great bunch of gals here. You will probably find that the more you workout, the more your craving for naps will diminish. Now, notice I didn't say go away, I just said it won't be as bad. I went from sleeping 15 hours a day (12 at night, and 3 in the afternoon), to 9 hours at night, all because I started exercising. I just didn't need that nap anymore. I had enough energy to get through the day! It was a first.
    I know it's hard with a NB, and probably even more demanding with a toddler, but exercising really will help!

Jr, how much sodium is usually in your stir fry & how do you prepare it? We just have instant rice, frozen veggies, some chicken, crunchy noodles, and sauce, and it's less than 1,000 sodium. If you know what you biggest, baddest meal of the day is, log that first & fit everything else around it. I think it will really help.
    After I logged everything last night, I went back through & was psyched to see I was under on my 1,500 sodium limit every day for that 2 week span.

Cirka, great work on the weight loss! Keep up the Wii. It's a great little tool. I have one myself :)
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Gm...I can't talk right now...but I will chat more later!
  • CClark0722
    CClark0722 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm new here. My name is Celeste. I have three kids, 7 year old daughter, and 3 year old twin boys. They just started preschool so I have the morning free. I've been on here for about a week and have lost 5 lbs so far.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Wow, lots of new ladies. HI! Welcome!
  • curliegirl
    Options
    Wow! WELCOME new ladies!!! I will reintro myself later. But for now . . . .

I managed to do my workout(real challenge today!) and I have drank 5 glasses of water already! YIPEE! Now off to town. . . .

Kim

P.S. For anyone who cares--I haven't eaten my kids cookies! :laugh:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Hello to everyone new! I just wanted to say something...to those of you who remember my sewing dilemma right before Christmas, I have news! GOOD NEWS! My mom bought me a new sewing machine for my birthday, and I JUST FINISHED MY DAUGHTER"S PANTS I WAS MAKING!!!!!!:happy: :tongue: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: I am so excited! Can you tell?:laugh: I just have to make my son's now. but it should go so much easier!

Off to lunch and chuggin' the water!

Stacey! Congrats on the pound!!! *me doin' a dance for ya!*
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Nicole, that is great news. I bet your kids will be psyched to see them when they get done with their daily activities today!

I just finished a Wii Biggest Loser workout. I felt Wii Fit wasn't challenging me enough anymore. Today was an off day with BL, but I did a workout anyway. Gosh, am I glad to have an HRM! BL said I burned about 120 cals (10 warmup, 100 workout, 10 cooldown). My HRM said 405. That's a HUGE difference! I feel like I have a spur or pinched nerve or something in my butt though. Can't wait to see my chiropractor on Friday! He will fix it.

Working on oz # 60. Hoping to get 90 down at dinner, and 120 before bed.

Curlie, did you see my reply to your question about the chili last night? If not, then you'll be pleased to know the chili was not bland at all! I almost always have low sodium dinners, and they are NEVER bland (do fajitas or sweet & sour sound bland? Really?). I used canned diced tomatoes with sweet onions in the mix, and it really made it work. It's probably the only thing that was real terrible (sodium wise) in the whole recipe, as 1/2 a cup had nearly 500 sodium (ouch!). I usually use a lower sodium diced tomato with lime & cilantro, but we were out.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    trish--i'm moving into that studio before grace--i wanna eat dinners at YOUR house! :laugh:

welcome to the new ladies! glad you are here!

i am stacey--sahm to a 9+ y.o. girl, 5.5 y.o. girl (in all day kinderg) and a 3 y.o. boy. been married 13+ yrs. we live in las vegas but left our hearts in salt lake city, ut.
    I've been with mfp almost a year now and i love the site and the ladies on this thread. we are supportive and understanding but we're good at motivating one another too.

kim--wtg on not eating those cookies! the ones i made are high up on the fridge--outta sight, outta mind. :wink:

trish--isn't the hrm the best!! i am so addicted to it. i use it during my p90x wt sessions too cuz that burns calories. i just enter everything as custom "add exercise" to my cardio list. after a year now--it's all "my" stuff--walk outside, treadmill w/incline, legs & back etc etc. i want EVERY calorie!

nicolee--yay on the new sewing machine. how cool! and i'm happy for you that you got those ** pants done! to many more sewing successes.

jr--sounds like your back is not so acutely painful today. hope you can continue to rest it. and good work on figuring out menus. that takes discipline. :)

i did my workout!! and ate good bf and lunch. staying focused on getting into the habit of planned out meals. i've had 4 glasses of water too so should be able to make 8 by bedtime.

i won't be back on again for awhile--gotta shower, make meatloaf and chkn soup (before those chkn parts go bad), and get ballet shoes for girl #2. hopefully i can get all this done before school pick up!

if i forgot anyone--silver??--sorry about that. you know i think you are ALL the greatest!:flowerforyou:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    yay found a new ticker--but it's actually not just walking. it's walk/jog/bike/swim?? (if i were that ambitious)

i just can't seem to manage 2 in tickerfactory and i really want 2--so found this other free one. Free is GOOD
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    HI ladies, just checking in on the new thread, I have been cooking instead of cleaning today--it has been fun but I really do need to get the house cleaner. The weekend did it all in!

We are having baked breaded chicken for dinner with a side of Broccoli.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Oooohh Stacey! Where did you get the new ticker? I like it!

Deb- Dinner sounds good!

Trish- your meals always sound good!:flowerforyou:
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Just thought I would make a quick comment, my Wife has been sick the last 2 weeks and I have been covering for her around the house. I am not a knuckle dragger so I understand being SAHM is a fulltime job but damn it is exhausting. I enjoyed the cooking but know i understand the death stare when I have no answer to what do you want for dinner now.

Here is one guy who appreciates the level of work a SAHM does.

:flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Stacey, sorry hon, but you can't have Grace's future room. We do, however, have the comfiest couch if you are ever in the area, and I'll cook any of the recipes I've posted that you think you might like ;)
    Same goes for the rest of you.

That nerve in my hip/butt is really bugging me. Grace wants to be held, but it kills to hold her on my lap. Is it Friday yet? I want my chiro doc NOW!

Right before she woke up, I laid on the floor. I wasn't sure if I could move. Y'know when you just get really comfy? Yeah. I was really comfortable. Flat on the floor. Arms over head. Maybe it's sympathy pain for jr!

Anyway, going to soldier through and try to get some housework done, including a run to grocery store for fresh produce for the week.

Thanks for the props, Fork! I'm pretty sure the only job harder than being a SAHM is being the Dad & lone bread winner for the family, and then coming home & being a full time daddy too!
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    Good evening ladies! can't talk much, having a dinner guest (finally an adult to talk to during dinner!!). Congrats to those who are losing weight...WTG!

I still have to pack for our trip to Oregon. Leaving tomorrow for my IL's where i'm staying overnigt.

Oh and got the car fixed today...wtiht the help of my exterminator and neighbor/friend's husband. Needed a new battery...could have been worse!