Has "Aunt Flo" stopped visiting anyone else???

Options

Replies

• lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I stopped getting mine! My gyno said it is because fat holds estrogen. Less fat = less estrogen. And my birth control works with the estrogen in my body, so I all sorts of messed it up. Not in a bad way, but my birth control and chemicals and hormones all have to adjust and whatnot.

Although, the first month scared the crap out of me. First time I've ever bought a pregnancy test.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    my BF was too low so it stopped; this isnt a good thing it means your hormones are out of wack and you could eventually start showing more manly body qualities such as unwanted hair growth, or receding hair line. you could also be losing bone mass.

i went on birth control to fix the problem, i recomend you talk to a doctor :D
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Not altogether. I would ask your doctor about that.

But since I started lifting heavy, it's definitely lighter overall. Still comes once a month, tho. Dammit.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    it could be due to exercise...wish mine would go away ha ha ha no such luck though...but also...it could be early menopause....if you havent already, i would ask your doctor about that to see if that is what it is or not.
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    anyone who stops having periods should go to the doctor and get checked out. It's a pain having them, but you don't want to lose bone mass and have a higher chance of developing osteopenia or osteoporosis.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if I'm the only person that has stopped having a period since loosing weight? I was worried at first that something might be wrong, but I've learned its most likely due to my weight loss. By the way, I don't miss "Aunt Flo", I actually like not getting a monthly visit from her. I hav'nt had a period for going on a year and a half :bigsmile:

Skipping a period here and there is normal. Not having one at all (unless you're on a method of BC that causes that) is alarming. Have you spoken to your doctor?
  • givenshl
    Options
    Mine is just the opposite. I lost weight and my cycle came back. Now I am just a regular as I was in high school.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You were 210, lost 107 pounds... So you are 103? There's your answer. You are UNDERWEIGHT. That's why you've lost your period.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    my BF was too low so it stopped; this isnt a good thing it means your hormones are out of wack and you could eventually start showing more manly body qualities such as unwanted hair growth, or receding hair line. you could also be losing bone mass.

i went on birth control to fix the problem, i recomend you talk to a doctor :D

I completely agree. I had been through the same thing when I was at high school. It's not something that would be called lucky.It's a hormonal imbalance and has many negative effects.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i wish
  • snuglbunie
    Options
    I would definitely speak to a dr. about that because 35 seems way to young to be menopausal and it could definitely affect bone loss, etc.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A year and a half? Girl, get yourself to a doctor--that sounds like menopause (although it IS possible to go that long without a period and then get it more). Since I started lifting, my periods have gotten worse? I'm on birth control, and was super regular and light, and the last three months my period's turned into 6 day long gushers (gross) that start before my off week. Doc just says, "Welp, it's probably the weight loss."
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When your body fat gets below a certain level, your body is telling you that you are not fit/healthy to reproduce. Its nature. You should listen to it. You are underweight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile and doing the math, you weigh 103 pounds. How tall are you? Because I'm only 5'3" and 103 is just this side of underweight for my height. That is probably why you stopped having your period, which means you are too thin.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    What has your doctor said about this? Honestly, if he said that it was a result of your weight loss, please please please get a second opinion.

My cousin was told the same thing and it turned out to be an ovarian cyst that ended growing to the size of a grapefruit before it was discovered. An undetected cyst could rupture and put you in an emergency situation.
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also, it's my understanding that going on the pill to get your period back will not protect bone mass, or not to anywhere near the extent of having a natural period.
  • MyNaturalHue
    Options
    Id definitely recommend chatting with your doctor. You might want precise answers regarding that change in Aunt Flo's visitations.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Heh I know a few ladies who take the Depo shot just to never worry about prego or flo. But looking at your stats, you are probably a bit underweight and is always a good reason to not have it.
    please see your doc

(never trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die) :p
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    See your doctor
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I only had ten periods between the the spring that I was 11 when I first started and this last spring (i'm 20) Since I started losing weight mine came back with semi-regularity. Its great!